IGNORED

The original Blood Omen

cimerians

10 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

Awesome!  I loved this game on PC, and always a bit bummed that I couldn't play it properly.  I tried the PS1 version, but thought it kind of stunk.

And yeah, I wish we would have gotten more of this as well.  I played a couple of the 3D sequels, and they kinda bored me.

Heh, I think Tomb Raider and the whole 3D craze was in full effect in the late 90s. I could never get into any of the Soul Reaver games.

This one though was so hard to find on PC and yeah the PS1 version is pretty clunky. Looks like the reviews say GOG did a good job with this. I'll get it on the next holiday sale although 7 bucks ain't much. 

Loved it on Playstation at the time (and didnt it begin life as a 3DO title?) 

Completed Soul Reaver on Playstation and Dreamcast, was gutted Soul Reaver II was canned on DC, until i tried it on PS2... bored me very quickly. 

Last one i played was Defiance on Xbox, plot had over taken the gameplay a little too much for my liking. 

• Like 1

This is great news!  BO:LOK is one of my favorites from the Playstation days, though I never completed it.  It will be nice to play through this on the PC port.

Definitely install the unofficial patch to get it running as smoothly as the PSX version though:

https://verokster.blogspot.com/2018/05/legacy-of-kain-blood-omen-gl-wrapper.html

You can also download a patch that restores the original (higher quality) PSX sound files:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/hq-audio-patch/downloads/hq-sound-patch-v3

Edited by newtmonkey
  • Like 1

Is that old one fun I saw it pop up on GoG, didn't even know about it.  My first experience, and oddly the only one I ever could get into let alone like was Soul Reaver on Dreamcast, PS1 game was admirably done well too all things considered.  They masterfully found a way to play with memory to pre-load areas while you play so it didn't have perpetual load screen bars like most titles of those years.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Is that old one fun I saw it pop up on GoG, didn't even know about it.  My first experience, and oddly the only one I ever could get into let alone like was Soul Reaver on Dreamcast, PS1 game was admirably done well too all things considered.  They masterfully found a way to play with memory to pre-load areas while you play so it didn't have perpetual load screen bars like most titles of those years.

Not sure it was perhaps fun, but at the time i found it extremely atmospheric, some amazing voice actors used, I have since become a huge fan of Simon Templeman's work. 

Paul Lukather, the voice actor of Vorador is very much missed. 

Soul Reaver simply blew me away at the time on the Playstation, streaming level data off the disc, so you weren't hit by loading screens, the only niggle was the reliance on block pushing puzzles at times.