IGNORED

I'm advertising Template Creator for Windows again! :)

This depends. It certainly saves you the manual access to that simple directory structure (changing the drive/dir in the SC panel, for example, just to copy one file from there, then change it back). If the file manager allows to create any file type without that, it can be more convenient, especially if there is a file association mechanism implemented in the shell (like RUNEXT in SDX). But in reality, the implementation may be more complex than it is worth, considering that we do not seem to have many complex data files which need to be specially structured before use. Maybe BAS, M65... music tracker modules... and ATR which can already be created in CLI using dedicated software.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This would be less or more this in SpartaDOS X batch language:

;-NEW FILENAME.EXT
;
PATHSPL %1,,,,,%X
IF EXISTS $TEMPLATES$>*.$%X$
 COPY $TEMPLATES$>*.$%X$ %1
ELSE
 COPY NUL: %1
FI

This requires the PATHSPL.COM command, which needed to be written and will be available on a next SDX Toolkit disk release.

The $TEMPLATES$ environment variable must point to a directory containing the "templates", i.e. stub files for each filename extension. If one is not present, a 0-length file will be created, otherwise the template will be copied to the file name given as the parameter.

The batch file of course can be made a bit more complicated by adding "categories", i.e. subdirectories to the directory pointed to by the $TEMPLATES$ variable, it will make it - the BAT file - about 8 lines longer.

The PATHSPL command just splits the given pathname into device, path, full name, base name and extension.

Edited by drac030
removed debug stuff from listing
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I still can't believe that he thinks this tool is so great, following the thread, no one can figure out how to use it,

what benefits it provides for us, and so many times a working example has been asked for, but nothing !!!

From personal experience, templates/boilerplates are generally used by organisations who need consistency

in the way software/documentation is written and therefore a template/boilerplate is created as a starting

point for new programs/software and documentation.

In our environment, each program will probably be very different from the previous and there would be

no need for this. 

10 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

I know I'm being annoying: I annoy people a lot, but does anybody have a template to donate?  Maybe a cc65 code snippet, or a mostly-empty disk image?  Maybe a document related to the Atari emulation?  I will soon port the program to the Atari 8-bit series.  :)

I guess that @funkheld can help you out on this.

• Haha 2

I've been trying to explain Template Creator here.  I'm sorry for not being clear.  :(  Basically, TmpCreat is a way to make copies of template files.  Template files can be, for example, a code snippet to be reused over and over.  I use it to create empty disk images.  It can also be used for resumes or school work.

Using a template for me is:

cd ~/atari
mkdir new_project
cd new_project

copy an existing main

cp ~/somewhere/main.s .

vi main.s

or do some "native" development.

cp ~/templates/atmas.atr .

atari800 atmas.atr

etc....

Edited by ivop
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, ivop said:

cp ~/templates/atmas.atr .

atari800 atmas.atr

this is also my point of view. The whole functionality of this utility is similar to first making a directory structure e.g.

templates/platforms/files like templates/atari-doses/bw-13.atr

and then invoking a copy command. Basically two operations much simpler and less time consuming than using the tool. There are different types of utilities, but they should bring some value e.g. be time-savers that can automate tedious tasks, while this tool does not seem to do it.

• Like 1