IGNORED

The Official Atari Age Secret Santa 2021 thread

CaptainBreakout

As promised :)

Whoohoo! The postman called!!

image.thumb.png.24376cc07864d695c61c8a6f966dd7ab.png

As I said, I really wasn't expecting anthing to arrive before February.  I had a parcel arrive last week that was mailed from the USA *four months ago*

so...  CONGRATZ TO SANTA'S COURIERS! RUDOLF, YOU NAILED IT!!!!

image.thumb.png.031274a4b035c6f5c096b495ab1219ae.png

Awesome controller and megadrive cased Pi (I love that the round door opens with the 'eject' button, because megadrives don't have a CD door... or a CD drive haha!), card games for the tabletop geek in me, stickers and badges and a T-shirt!

Thank you Santa, mission complete.  This naughty boy is happy :)

PS. Where is the sign-up for AASS 2022? :D

[EDIT]

image.thumb.png.b0fd34d146902ed12bd3bca9e8cdcd75.png

I LOL'd :D

• Like 9

My package came two days early!  What I thought would be an easy resist to not open it until closer to Christmas (mainly because I was sure it would not be in my possession until Monday) turned into higher anticipation once the package was in my hands.  I was able to hold off on opening it at work, but as soon as I was home I went ahead and tore into it.

My Secret Santa nailed it!  I got Howard Scott Warshaw's book Once Upon Atari: How I made history by killing an industry and four 2600 games that have been on my want list.  Last night I gave each game a spin and by bedtime I was already a few chapters into the book.  My Secret Santa also included a note which included revealing his true identity.  Good job @BurritoBeans and thanks a lot!  And I must say, the packaging was superb.

Participating in the AtariAge Secret Santa for the first time has exceeded my expectations, not because of the great haul I received but because of the people involved.  Being still somewhat relatively new to AtariAge, I seem to always be surprised to discover another great facet of this Atari community (but by now I really shouldn't be).  I want to thank y'all for letting me hang out here for a while.  I have enjoyed reading all of the updates, most of which have been a hoot.  And I sincerely wish all of you a very Merry Christmas.

IMG_2797.thumb.JPG.ae1d39c74731897fed795fc60886899d.JPGIMG_2794.thumb.JPG.97b6e728b9494969af19f22251609324.JPG     

• Like 13

On 12/13/2021 at 9:32 AM, Dr Moocowz said:

My package arrived this morning (which is also weird, the mail truck usually doesn't come by until the afternoon), but...

holy smokes! This package is HUGE! It weighs over 12 lbs! ?  There could be anything in there!

I will open it up live on stream ( https://www.twitch.tv/drmoocowz ) on Sunday, Dec 19th at 2:00 PM Eastern Standard Time, followed by some Atari 2600 High Score Club attempts! I'll post photos after the stream is done. I'll give a friendly "bump" on Sunday as a reminder.

I can already say ahead of time without even opening it, this is way too much, Santa! But, thank you! :) ?

Friendly "bump" that this is happening today, live! 2 PM EST! https://www.twitch.tv/drmoocowz

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Dr Moocowz said:

Holy smokes, Santa! Completely went waaaaaaaay over the top! I'll get some photos tonight after I find a place to lay it all out. I'm still blown away and WAY (... WAY!) more than expected!

Now you can play last years gift! :D

Welcome to the Insane Asylum of Jaguland!

• Like 6

Wow... um. I guess I've been really good this year! I would've been perfectly happy with just one of those Genesis games, but holy smokes! This is way more than I would typically get from family members!

Not in order of anything:

- Haunted Ghost Pepper tortilla chips (tried it live, pretty much immediately) ?
- Truffle & Sea Salt kettle chips
- AN ATARI JAGUAR AND CONTROLLER !! ?
- An Atari 7800 Composite video mod!
- A stuffed Popeye figure
- King sized Take 5 candy bars
- TMNT NES box art poster
- Sneak 'n Peek (2600, and played it on stream) wrapped in paper that said "no sneaky peeky until Dec 25th" ?
- Omicron (2600 homebrew, played it on stream)
- Rainbow Brite: Journey to Rainbow Land (NES homebrew and signed by Robert DeCrescenzo)
- Whip Rush (Genesis shmup)
- Fire Shark (Genesis shmup, CIB!)

Not Pictured:

- a 4th Take 5 (it is gone)
- incense box that contained Popeye
- kitty litter plastic "wrapping" and garbage bag box that held the Jaguar

If people want to watch a recording of the live opening, you can find it here for at least 14 days before Twitch archives it: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1237973121

And thank you everyone who watched and hung out today, it's appreciated!

I do know who my Santa was and holy shit you went WAY beyond what was needed! It's too much! But, genuinely, thank you! I have no more words. :)

dmc-aa-secretSanta20211.jpg

dmc-aa-secretSanta20212.jpg

dmc-aa-secretSanta20213.jpg

dmc-aa-secretSanta20214.jpg

dmc-aa-secretSanta20215.jpg

dmc-aa-secretSanta20216.jpg

• Like 9

Okay, I had every intention of waiting until Christmas to open mine but then a thought occurred. I've got kids/etc and I'm going to be pretty busy putting their stuff together and entertaining the family and all that on X-mas weekend...so maybe...just maybe I should just open mine now??? Hmmm...

Well, I shook the box a little and heard the distinct sound of atari cartridges bumping against each other...I know that sound very very well and I better just open this thing! At the rate I've been speed accumulating atari carts this past month I'm doing the right thing for everyone involved, yeah, thats what I told myself anyways :) so I opened it...and all I can say is...

19097169_holyschnikes.jpg.c4b86f76f0da5cbce5d0188ebf01e648.jpg

I'm completely blown away on many different levels! I don't even know where to start!

20211216_153638.thumb.jpg.338e2bd96164b806182b648a7a19048b.jpg

20211216_153942.thumb.jpg.b5ef17a87887cecae43601f5a30efa8d.jpg

Lets start with the games...

For those of you that don't know I got a hankering a few months back to rebuild my once (self proclaimed) legendary atari 2600 collection from many many years ago. Long story short I had a little cash saved up to get a jump start on it and I have really been going full throttle this past month or so...every step has been recorded here on the forums and at the rate I've been going it would be IMPOSSIBLE to know what games to buy me...but somehow my secret santa was able to PREDICT the games I still needed, this can only be done with paying a very close attention to the detail of my near daily updates. Seriously, this person should be a detective!! (maybe they are? Private Eye was included...a clue to their identity perhaps?)

How did they know?? What's even stranger is I just recently lost an auction for Polaris (forgot to bid) turned down a really good offer on a Private eye (I still don't know why I did this, seriously) and turned down a He man locally here on Craigslist because I was too busy to go pick it up 15 miles away haha. Where it gets really unusual (and almost makes me wonder if some other mysterious forces are at play here) is I recently decided when I run out of affordable (original) Atari cartidges to pursue I would begin collecting Atariage Homebrews...in alphabetical order!! Go check the AA store, the 2005 mini game cart they gave me is the FIRST game on the list.

WHAT???

I didn't post this idea, it was purely a thought in my mind....

Woah...

The moon and the stars must have aligned just right for my secret santa to unlock the Christmas magic....wow... Take a close look at these games, they are really good ones!! Mind blown!!

I think this closes out my M-network collection. Star Strike is not and I repeat NOT an easy game to find these days!!

20211218_172212(1).thumb.jpg.a3d236c743e77636cf7fe6e86a39ee6f.jpg

Polaris is kind of a special game for me. Back in the early 2000's it was the first rare atari game I ever found (that I had never heard of) it inspired me to go on this new thing called "the internet" which ultimately led me to atariage where I met many other nerds like myself that still played/collected Atari...

20211218_180130.thumb.jpg.08e96ed40e82fac6ed749ccbfa15a1e7.jpg

All of these games are 100% winners!!! THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH!!

I've also been really wanting to add a little vintage atari memorablilia to my line up but have been going full boar on the games and haven't bothered to hunt any down...well again, my secret santa delivered in a big way! I wanted at least one original atari game box, even had a spot reserved for it but was waiting to find a really cool one...it doesn't get much cooler than PRIVATE EYE!! What a great box, oh yeah, you're going immediately on the shelf buddy! I've been waiting for you :)

20211218_180002.thumb.jpg.ed4a6e406d623612e8f74ed574cae73c.jpg

Those vintage hangers really compliment it too, seriously, how cool are those!! I just love stuff like this!

Having ALWAYS wanted one of these sweet GORF medals I just about lost my mind when I opened the small box and saw it. I was so excited I pinned it right on my chest!

20211218_175016.thumb.jpg.a91e1fe4a0e396577c59136c8edddc76.jpg

That stung a little but I'm okay...need to learn patience...lets try putting a shirt on

20211218_175727.thumb.jpg.4da0b8a189f0228fbc1da08f783e11a9.jpg

Ah okay, much better!!

BUT WAIT - THERE'S MORE!!!

As if I wasn't already amazed beyond comprehension...these three neatly wrapped boxes in the back were calling my name! I tore into them like a child haha

20211216_154053.thumb.jpg.fff8a2a0006cc23ce5e16913b1b8f516.jpg

WTF IS THIS!!?? I DON'T KNOW BUT I ALREADY LOVE IT!!

20211218_172509.thumb.jpg.71a432817979fbd2bf0c02c7ade5e667.jpg

It's a little mini atari set up and it actually works! You can actually play it!!

20211218_173327.thumb.jpg.1d8beb0dbd1056772301c5adcc28395e.jpg

Yup! You're going on the shelf too!! Love it!!

The ornaments were a really nice touch. Over the years I used to always buy any video game themed ornament but at some point during a move they were lost (along with all my old vintage ornaments from childhood) These almost made me misty eyed because just a few days prior we were hanging ornaments on the tree (several were my wife's were from the 70's/80's) and my younger daughter said "don't you have any ornaments daddy?" and I said I didn't have any while staring off into space like Mad Max...thinking about my lost box of treasure...well, not anymore! My once (self proclaimed) legendary ornament collection begins it's rebuild today!!

20211218_173801.thumb.jpg.78db82bef73df606665fcd3650851ec2.jpg

As much as I wanted to hang the Atari one, I took the string off and gave it to E.T. haha, it's a nice shelf prop and has a bit of weight to it!

20211218_174018.thumb.jpg.a0c9531e72e9cf3f83eaee9b8a5bff55.jpg

...and finally how can you go wrong with Galaga? You can't and this mini game rules! I might set this one up for E.T. to play too haha Always wanted to pick one of these up and see what they're like...well, I love it! I have a feeling it will multiply soon :)

20211218_174359.thumb.jpg.aaf5ce3c58225a4dd5b183f6c7bf519c.jpg

Not only was this an amazing secret santa gift it is right up there as one of the best Christmas gifts I have ever received period. I'm feeling a little guilty I didn't beef my gift up a little more lol. Seriously though, secret santa, you made my day, I even like the card and put it up for display on the wall. I'll never forget this!

20211218_181047.thumb.jpg.1ff59480f3961160560889b4d848b661.jpg

What a wild ride, thank you thank you thank you so much!!! My collection has never looked better!

20211218_175545.thumb.jpg.9fedbb02414148b7d7ff42e5190c1d68.jpg

20211218_175529.thumb.jpg.8d7ffcd26c3d59c167d5394499f1cf68.jpg

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

I got my box today!!! Wooooo!!!!

uPlOxyQ.jpg

Couldn't wait to dig in! I don't think I had it in the house for 5 minutes! ??

6fFILIY.jpg

Oooooh look at all the goodies!! And what is that packing material???

ABpYrvE.jpg

Very nice card with a personalized message inside. :)

rj2EQKZ.jpgzl5EBto.jpg

I need to look into these. I can't wait to try them!! Wife can even have 2 of these! Nice!! :)

Nh5erCf.jpgd7C0iPn.jpg

Nice mini arcade with paddle games!! I don't think I have seen this particular one. I usually see them all working in retail! :)

Oh... and the packing material???

qrJ1ak5.jpg

Awesome package!! Thank you my NL Secret Santa!! :)

JCEAG5v.jpg

Edited by ClassicGMR
  • Like 11
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, ClassicGMR said:

I got my box today!!! Wooooo!!!!

rj2EQKZ.jpg

That's so cool! I never knew that Dungeons and Dragons dice were actually Piramides mix from the Netherlands!!!

Enjoy that school chalk! From my favourite Amazon review on the subject:

Schoolkrit is beyond delicious. It has an almost buttery expression of pure licorice flavor that once tasted, instantly turns into an addiction that finishes the bag. Suddenly you realize that you have just consumed the last piece, and a cold, long stare at an empty bag that you have waited years for, becomes unbearable. A long nap is the only solution.

Hey, a long nap is the solution to everything. Pity that it only took me forty-odd years to remember that. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Hey all.  I've been quiet, but I haven't been inactive.  Thanks once again to CaptainBreakout for making sure I was part of the festivities!

Now for the bad news: I owe my Secret Santa a grovelling apology.

Like last year, I'm spending an extended holiday in Florida with my parents.  Unlike last year, I decided not to open my AA Secret Santa package early, and instead take it with me.  And then... I didn't.  It's still in my game room, wondering when it will be opened, and unfortunately that won't happen until I'm back home in early February.

Sincerely, I'm sorry!  But I promise, as soon as I'm home, I'll tear into it, and then maybe I can make this thread and the holiday season hang around just a little longer.  Until then, whoever you are, thank you in advance for the goodies!

• Like 5

I just really look forward the reading these write ups. I know it's cheesy to say, but it is kind of magical. Hey.. it IS magical. I was just reading Crazy Climbers experience, and how was his Santa supposed to know exactly the right stuff... Hitting the bell on awesome and abundance? Like, the kind of bell ya gotta swing a cartoonish oversized mallet over your head to hit? and Santa did.

And dang, son , that Private Eye boxed is just hot damn.  ...an exhibit!  (Did you draw blood with that pin? Also it's weird cause you look a little like that Private Eye guy I think)

And there's so much more.  That Pong tabletop. A Pac Man costume from across the globe?!!  Crazy candies... All these Santas hitting it out of the park. I'm crazy blown away by what Santa sent me... I've got a LOT of good Jaguar hours ahead of me here... And seeing the same kind of thing around all these members is just really great. Makes me so happy and proud to be in this community. ... And is crazy fun to watch.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1