IGNORED

Can't boot to USB... how to get around "USB device blocked by security policy" message?

PaulXMann

So, I'm attempting to run a Batocera build off of a USB thumb drive (like ETA Prime shows), and I'm being hit with this message on restart:

"EFI USB Device (USB) has been blocked by the current security policy."

Now, I'm able to bypass that message and get into the bios (doesn't seem to be a password anymore), but once there, I'm not sure what to select to disable this "security" level. Can someone point me in the right direction? My apologies if this is obvious... I've done several searches, and it's still not clear to me exactly which option in the bios affects this setting.

1 hour ago, PaulXMann said:

So, I'm attempting to run a Batocera build off of a USB thumb drive (like ETA Prime shows), and I'm being hit with this message on restart:

"EFI USB Device (USB) has been blocked by the current security policy."

Now, I'm able to bypass that message and get into the bios (doesn't seem to be a password anymore), but once there, I'm not sure what to select to disable this "security" level. Can someone point me in the right direction? My apologies if this is obvious... I've done several searches, and it's still not clear to me exactly which option in the bios affects this setting.

I'm guessing you need to find the secure boot option and disable it.   I don't recall exactly how it's worded in the bios.

54 minutes ago, zzip said:

I'm guessing you need to find the secure boot option and disable it.   I don't recall exactly how it's worded in the bios.

Exactly, yes... that's what I'm trying to find out. I've read one post where a person was talking about his Mac installation on a VCS, and he had to do all kinds of things. I suspect it's one of these settings, but I don't know enough about how the bios works to determine which one:

• Boot Configuration > Fast Recovery > Off
  • Peripheral Configuration > Trust Platform Module > Disabled
  • ACPI Table/Features Control > HPET Support > Disabled
  • CPU Related Setting > SVM Support > Enabled, SVM Lock > Disabled, SMM Code Lock > Disabled
  • Above 4GB MMIO > Enabled
  • H2OUve Configuration > Disabled
  • Boot > USB Boot > Enabled, EFI Device First > Enabled
  • Boot Type > Dual Boot Type
  • AMD PBS > Discrete GPU's Audio > Keep HW Default Setting

I just logged into mine and on the very first BIOS menu there is an "Administer Secure Boot".  But I believe some of their updates have reorgnized the BIOS menu so there's a chance that it is somewhere else on yours.   I think if you select it it will prompt you for a password

image.thumb.png.54279bd70f98efc0bc814a9f88731274.png