IGNORED

Working HDMI Audio Extractor?

qrysdonnell

Okay, so I picked one of these up because 1) I'm an Atari completist and 2) I could use it as a PC on my kids' desk.

Currently my kid's desk has a pretty nice Dell 27" 1080P monitor that has HDMI but doesn't have a speaker passthrough so I got a cheap $17 audio extractor from Amazon but the hardware in the VCS doesn't seem to like it in either VCS mode or Windows 10. (It works if I plug an Apple laptop I have into it via HDMI so I know it works at least with something.)

So I figured I'd ask around if anyone has found an inexpensive audio extractor that is known to work? Admittedly this was the cheapest option out there, but they all kind of look the same. I'll probably return this and try a second one, but figured I'd check here to see if anyone had any recommendations before I just start trying other things randomly.

Thanks in advance!

(For reference the one that I purchased is called "HDMI Audio Extractor,4K HDMI to HDMI with Audio 3.5mm AUX Stereo and L/R RCA Audio Out,HDMI Audio Converter Adapter Splitter Support 4K 1080P 3D Compatable for PS3 Xbox Fire Stick." manufactured by Dongjian on Amazon.)

• Like 1

I'm curious about this too,  but every one I've looked at seems to have a lot of unhappy reviews

another option is a USB audio device,  I used something like this to get sound from my Rasperry Pi 4 that is also connected to a monitor with no sound.   It will almost certainly work with Windows, but you might have to select the audio source from the control panel if it still defaults to HDMI.   I don't know if Atari OS gives you the ability to select a different audio out though

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-External-Headphone-Microphone-Desktops/dp/B01N905VOY/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=usb+audio+out&qid=1633640950&sr=8-3

In potentially worthless additional information, I have accidentally discovered that if I power on the HDMI audio extractor after Windows has booted it works. Doesn't work in VCS mode with that workaround though. (At least my kid won't hassle me to fix it right away if there's a workaround but it'd be nice to hear the VCS!)

• 2 weeks later...

No I have an update. For what it's worth I did have an Elgato HD60S laying around and I don't think I got anything out of it audio or video - but as I was messing with it I was having flashbacks to all of the difficulties I've had with that thing to begin with and I knew it wasn't going to be a permanent solution anyway so I didn't spend much time troubleshooting it.

I did, however, find an alternate audio extractor. The Tripp-Lite P130-06N-AUDIO works as expected. It's a little more expensive than you'd want it to be ($37 at Amazon) but it gets the job done at least.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah I tried a cheaper one from Amazon for a SNES Mini that I was trying to connect to HD CRT that didn't have HDMI but DVI so I needed to extract the audio from the HDMI to plug into the A/V ports. Needless to say I didn't have any luck out of it. I lost interest in the project and just gave up on it. If i try again I'll look for that Tripp Lite adapter you recommend. 

Edited by Oneinchbiceps