IGNORED

Happy REV 7 drive - mode switch not connected. Where to hook the two wires up to?

Beeblebrox

This week I acquired what appears to be a Happy REV 7 1050 drive as part of a bundle. (Correct me if I'm wrong and it's an immitation)

Someone was busy with the ol Printshop labelling BITD:

image.thumb.png.d628f82b8cf6a3b06f4a7b6da9cbec33.png

It has write/normal mode pole switch mounted on the front fascia/casing but having a peek inside clearly the two wires aren't connected up. It'll be a simple hook up but I'm not 100% clear where they'll solder to on the Happy PCB, (which I assume is where they originally connected too?) Someone must have removed them in it's past or they were accidentally disconnected.

It works with them disconnected in sporadic bursts when loading disks. So Mercenary took 2mins to load. There was no disk error disk access grinding or anything during this time. It just seem to do it in burst of 3 seconds, then a 3-5 second pause, then another 3 second burst, etc etc/

What is interesting is there is no drive activity LED when the drive is running. Just the standard power LED.

I've moved the loose wires out of the way for now to avoid them shorting anything out.

Any tips as to where to hook em up to?  I think it would be here as indicated in this pic - but which way around if this is the correct connection point?

image.thumb.png.fe1c9562a1d24e7b032238f919daca88.png

A few pics:

image.thumb.png.b409c27c12a4f0c1eb612f0c7a82ef40.png   image.thumb.png.3e09c922bccbc200541a0538d2233da1.png   image.thumb.png.8305988276e992a04660d35cac3f564a.png    

Edited by Beeblebrox

Hi,

Probably the quickest test would be to boot a Happy 7.10 disk, and run the diagnostics. The drive RPM might be a bit off, so you could be having problems due to this, or the drive belt might be on the way out. No harm in cleaning the drive head with IPA, and there is also a SALT 1050 test disk, though the drive will fail some of the tests as it's been modded. You can also dump the ROM (if it is a Happy drive, or similar) with my dump1050 utility, which is on github.

7 hours ago, E474 said:

Hi,

Probably the quickest test would be to boot a Happy 7.10 disk, and run the diagnostics. The drive RPM might be a bit off, so you could be having problems due to this, or the drive belt might be on the way out. No harm in cleaning the drive head with IPA, and there is also a SALT 1050 test disk, though the drive will fail some of the tests as it's been modded. You can also dump the ROM (if it is a Happy drive, or similar) with my dump1050 utility, which is on github.

@E474 thanks. I planned to run the software. I've already cleaned the head.

I'll dump the rom as part of the run of things I'll do. Never done that before but I am sure I'll work it out as and when. 

I always thought I had to have the salt cart/card to run salt diagnostic software. Interesting. 

OK well I think I'll spend a bit of time working out if they two perceived connection points for the wires are the right ones.. Then I'll hook em up and do as advised. 

Thanks 

Edited by Beeblebrox

Here are some files that might help you. I have done the Dan Knauf drive select mod, and added the 3-way WP select switch on regular 1050's, Super Archivers and also a Mega-Speedy 1050.  But I have not done it on a regular 1050 Happy, since I have Controller boards on mine.  I've don't think I've ever seen a Happy clone board with those two posts on them, but there have been a lot of DIY Happy boards made.

1050 Mods.zip

14 minutes ago, Larry said:

Here are some files that might help you. I have done the Dan Knauf drive select mod, and added the 3-way WP select switch on regular 1050's, Super Archivers and also a Mega-Speedy 1050.  But I have not done it on a regular 1050 Happy, since I have Controller boards on mine.  I've don't think I've ever seen a Happy clone board with those two posts on them, but there have been a lot of DIY Happy boards made.

1050 Mods.zip 112.39 kB · 2 downloads

@Larry  thanks, so is my board a happy clone? 

49 minutes ago, Larry said:

I would certainly think so.  Original 1050 Happy boards had green solder mask -- professionally made boards.  (Doesn't mean yours won't work as well as an original.) 

@Larry doh!! I was naively hoping it was an original Happy given the sticker on the top of the drive casing said very specifically Happy rev 7. Ah well. I'll give the software a run and like you say if it runs as if a Happy Drive cool. I am juggling a lot at the mo with multiple hardware fixes. Currently working on a 600XL which I brought back from a non working condition. Has some issues still. I also have a couple of stock 1050s with some issues to fix. Finally I am trying to sort a few sio2pc connection issues and get to grips with dumping to atr. Lots to read up on and get to grips with and not enough hours in the day. ?

Edited by Beeblebrox

Maybe this thread is useful, I uploaded the Lazer utilities disk to it, btw. 

Also, I have a Lazer/US Doubler mod, the switch puts it in Lazer or US Doubler mode, so it might be for that. Dump1050 will dump a Lazer ROM, but if the drive is in US Doubler mode, you can't upload code to dump the firmware, so it won't work.

Personally I would expect the drive to be as labelled, e.g. it's a Happy "clone", and the switch is for Read Only/Write Enable, but no way of checking that remotely. 

Just checking this earlier thread: 

If it's a Lazer/US Doubler mod, mine had a resistor soldered onto the switch (page 2 of the thread), so maybe a bit of caution on wiring up the switch might actually be advised.

Edited by E474
Updated with comment on wiring up the switch
  • Thanks 1

Hi @Beeblebrox,

You're welcome! I think that the document you linked to originally came from the AtariSector website, now sadly defunct, and was authored by @brenski, who isn't showing up in the AA list of users, which is a bit worrying - anyone heard from him recently??

Have you tried formatting a blank disk in single density/writing DOS 2.5 to it, and booting/reading that, it might be an rpm issue on reading disks formatted in other drives? You can always boot from a good drive, and then do the formatting on the new drive(s).

Hi. Bit of an update.

Booted up the Laser software disk and this isn't a Laser modded drive:

image.thumb.png.639e11e28c571f8f4f4639506f44269a.png

(and yes I had tried enabling the Lazer mod in the menu just in case - doesn't make any difference).

... and neither is my other modded 1050 as per my other thread as I get the same screen above for that too:

I also did the same check using the Happy warp speed software for both drives, (just in case), and it also confirmed both drives aren't Happy modded, (not that I expected them to be)

Again I get the same screen below for both modded drives:

image.thumb.png.baf0f027a2515924f545ac72e413a435.png

So I guess I'll have to read up on the following mods as detailed here, locate the software for each and try it in turn with both drives:

https://atari-owner.com/club/articles/atari-1050-upgrades.40/

.... and download the various relevant softwares in turn from Atarionline.pl:

https://atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?ct=utils&sub=6. Stacja dyskietek

Hyperdrive or Superarchiver variants maybe?

Unless there is the one piece of diagnostic drive software anyone can recommend which can tell the drive mod type? :D (I wouldn't imagine there is as I've been reading a fair amount of info and not come across it - but then again there is a lot out there). I might try the sysinfo2 software just in case buy I don't recall it having such a feature.

FYi I came across a 2009 thread on AA here which have a link to ATR's for side A and B of Alpha disk utilities. I tried downloading and mounting them in APE, (thinking they may be useful),  to boot on my 800XL... but they both just boot in seconds to the blue cursor screen and nothing loads any further. So I can't use them. 

Incidentally I should confirm the both modded drives are working much faster than my stock 1050s so that would indicate in part that the mods are still operational and therefore the matching software when found should identify it present.

EDIT: Ah typical - all the Atarionline.pl disk files are all XEXs. I can't get APE's PC mirror mounting function to allow me to load up anything and if I boot up an XEX on SIDE3 my 1050 drive isn't recognised. I can prob sort the latter I guess but the APE PC mirror function has yet to allow me to select files it lists to run. Whatever I do to select a letter (in this case B), or a number in a mounted directory, nothing happens, (even when holding down control and B in this case just goes to a blank list):

image.thumb.png.f07f01d6d0836d31e41826bdd3c3d8c8.png

Edited by Beeblebrox

@E474 Hi. Thanks again for you 1050 rom dumper. Just tried it however and no dice - just get this message:

image.thumb.png.050107c0b1c0491adca360053d2d01c4.png

The way I did this was mount the Dump1050.ATR on APE for Windows, boot up the 800XL to load it, remove the ATR image from APE for Window's D1 slot, power on 1050 drive with the unknown mod. Then at the Ready prompt type DOS, and choose L in the menu to then binary load the Dump1050.exe. It runs and then I get this error above when selecting drive 1

7 minutes ago, Goochman said:

Are you successfully removing APE as Drive 1 before trying to update your 1050 as Drive 1?  Can you make your 1050 as Drive 2 and try the process again?

@Goochman  I definitely appear to be removing the ATR image from APE's drive 1 slot. I regularly to this when using Diskwizard II to copy for example. (Ie boot DiskwzardII.atr in APE slot d1, then remove and power up the 1050 hooked up to the 800XL as drive 1. Then I have the image of whatever I want to copy to disk in D2 on APE).

I'll try switching the 1050's drive selection swtich to drive 2 (if I've understood correctly), and leave the Dump1050.atr in APE's D1 slot, with APE's D2 slot blank. Gimme a few mins. :)

Edited by Beeblebrox

@Goochman ok just tried that with my 1050 physically set as drive 2, and Dump1050.atr in APE's D1 slot. Booted up and loaded the dump1050.atr with my 800XL. 1050 drive has been left on all the while given it's drive 2 status, (so no conflicts with APE obviously). Selected drive 2 from the software's menu and get the same message as before, albeit for drive 2.  (FYI my 1050 is the only SIO device attached to the stock Atari SIO port via the standard SIO cable. (Of course the Atarimax SIO2PC USB module which is connecting to APE for Windows is hardwired inside my 800XL)).

image.thumb.png.f940de2d97c48685fd640523be309869.png    image.thumb.png.f934dcd93f78f54d3b504e26b76f9c2f.png           

Excuse my ignorance but what is a command table?

Any ideas?  (Thanks for you help). :thumbsup:

EDIT: BTW I've tried this drive 2 assigned attempt with BOTH of my modded 1050s with the same outcome. So it's not exclusive to the drives it appears.

I can confirm the SIO cable I am using is fine as I can load other disks, (commercial ones and one's I've created). from the 1050 when using the 800XL standalone.

Edited by Beeblebrox

13 minutes ago, Goochman said:

Im out of ideas - just wanted to make sure an obvious solution was missed with possible APE drive contention. 

@Goochman  yeah, makes sense. Okay, thanks anyways. :thumbsup: I know it's always the way with these things.

All I am really trying to do at this stage is get to the bottom of what mods are installed in this 1050 as well as my other 1050, since it appears to be a clone or variation of a Happy mod in both cases. (It appears to be the case I've confirmed neither is an original happy compatible nor a Lazer compatible mod in both drive's cases). 

I don't know it this would cast any light on matters but today I also ascertained that apparently I cannot format disks on either drive at enhanced density (1040 sectors).

I read that Disk Wizard II copier only supports SD and DD, so I tried using Copymate XE which can handle SD, (720) DD (?) and enhanced density (1040). However it gets to the formatting part of any attempted copy of enhanced 1040 sector ATR images and fails to format after 10-20 seconds. Tried different disks on both drives and same occurs on both - and it isn't the disk media.......I've tried known to work disks I've already used before successfully for SD copies and the media can accommodate DD according to the labels.

I know that APE for Windows unregistered doesn't support 1050 enhanced extensions but the formatting error is in the copiers on the A8 side running off the 800XL and 1050 drive so that presumably won't be the cause. 

Edited by Beeblebrox