IGNORED

Basic Dimensions (L & W) of All Atari 8-bit Systems

MrFish

On 10/9/2021 at 11:15 PM, kheller2 said:

The 1400XL would be identical to the 1200XL in size, the 1450XLD would be just the biggest thing ever.  

1 hour ago, Sugarland said:

Pretty sure the 1450 is deeper than the 1200XL. About 14" deep.  This is mentioned and photographed somewhere here in the forums some years ago.

Yeah, I was thinking that @kheller2 meant something along those lines.

I'll try to do some searching here and see what I can come up with.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I finally fished out my own hardware -- as I needed to check on some minor measurements for the 130XE; and I decided to double-check the basic measurements obtained by others. It turns out that both measurements for this model were wrong. The length was only off by 5 mm, but the width was off by 2 cm (actually 2.5 cm, if you measure from the top side -- because of the bevel; but that doesn't matter for the top-view images I'm doing). I'm guessing there weren't a variety of sizes made for these machines (although who knows); but I have 2 here, which both measured the same. So, I suppose the measurements were just read incorrectly (I don't think my cheap Taiwan tape measure is off by that much), or just hastily done.

I also double-checked the XEGS, 800XL, and 400 measurements (rest of the machines I currently own); and everything was fine for the XEGS (base unit only; I don't have a keyboard currently) and 400, but the 800XL had a discrepancy of 5 mm on the width.

Here's the updated table.

length = 34.3 cm
width  = 28.9 cm

length = 40.6 cm
width  = 32.2 cm

1200XL    
length = 38.1 cm
width  = 31.5 cm

800XL    
length = 38.1 cm
width  = 22.0 cm

600XL    
length = 38.1 cm
width  = 16.8 cm

130XE / 65XE    
length = 34.5 cm
width  = 23.0 cm

XEGS (Base Unit)    
length = 32.4 cm
width  = 20.6 cm

XEGS (Keyboard)    
length = 34.9 cm
width  = 15.2 cm

• Like 2

I'll challenge the notion that length is always the longest dimension. A skyscraper's longest dimension is height. For many aircraft it is wing span. For most sailboats it is mast height. For standing people it is height.

Also, width is usually left to right. For Ataris, width, depth, and height are appropriate.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ClausB said:

I'll challenge the notion that length is always the longest dimension. A skyscraper's longest dimension is height. For many aircraft it is wing span. For most sailboats it is mast height. For standing people it is height.

I never said length is "always" the longest dimension.

9 hours ago, ClausB said:

Also, width is usually left to right. For Ataris, width, depth, and height are appropriate.

Appropriate in your opinion. You'll be hard pressed to find a consensus on the subject.

I'll restate: what's being used here is perfectly appropriate under various definitions for dimensions, and I'm sticking with it.

20 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

Are you going to do XEL/XLD/NUC+ as well?

Hadn't really thought about it yet; I just had the Atari production machines in mind.

But since this is related to construction of my hardware site -- which will have a section about modern implementations too -- it would be a good idea to include them in the lineup. I should look into the Eclaire too.

In which case some dimensions (and probably some pics, since I don't own any of them, yet) would be needed; and I suppose you're just the guy to consult.

• Like 1

XEL (The standard case as specced by @mytek and sold by @MacRorie) is 200x200x80, I don't have that case so maybe they could measure one to be 100% (It has feet, not sure if the dimensions include those).

XLD The case is a 1050 Drive case, I don't have one so someone else will have to measure that.

@DrVenkman has the best glamour shots of the finished XEL an XLD

NUC+       = 135x123x45 WxDxH

NUC+Cart = 135x123x70 WxDxH

IMG_4541.jpeg

IMG_4565.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

(It has feet, not sure if the dimensions include those).

I don't care about the height here. I can dig up pictures from the forums here.

2 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

XLD The case is a 1050 Drive case, I don't have one so someone else will have to measure that.

I've got a 1050 here; so, I can measure that one.

Nice pictures. Don't you have technical drawings for these? An overhead view would be ideal, of course.

I appreciate your help here. Thanks.

4 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

@DrVenkman has the best glamour shots of the finished XEL an XLD

The problem with the XEL is that there was no official case for it.  It's a standard ITX motherboard size, so anything for that series will work.  Here's mine next to the 576NUC for scale though:
51620446090_eeb5f325b6_o_d.jpg

51620446000_8d0c7fcb48_o_d.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MrFish said:

I don't care about the height here. I can dig up pictures from the forums here.

I've got a 1050 here; so, I can measure that one.

Nice pictures. Don't you have technical drawings for these? An overhead view would be ideal, of course.

I appreciate your help here. Thanks.

I’ll post some pics tomorrow when I’m at my computer. 

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

The problem with the XEL is that there was no official case for it.  It's a standard ITX motherboard size, so anything for that series will work.  Here's mine next to the 576NUC for scale though:

Correct... I was just planning to copy the blue case used by either @mytek or @MacRorie (Brewing Academy), which I consider to be the general standard.

There are also multiple cases available for the NUC; so, I'm not sure exactly what I'll do there.

Thanks for the overhead pics; the connector side pics don't really matter to me for this project.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MrFish said:

Correct... I was just planning to copy the blue case used by either @mytek or @MacRorie (Brewing Academy), which I consider to be the general standard.

There are also multiple cases available for the NUC; so, I'm not sure exactly what I'll do there.

Thanks for the overhead pics; the connector side pics don't really matter to me for this project.

The case most of us decided on was the "Realan H80" case.  80 designating 80mm tall.  They also made an H60 but I am not sure if anyone used that.  Marlin has the H80 listed https://thebrewingacademy.com/products/realan-h80-case

Dimensions given at AliExpress are 200*80*200 mm (W*H*D)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...