IGNORED

Sys-Check Power Connections

Larry

@tf_hh (Jurgen)

I'm curious about something in the instructions for the XL version.  (I'm paraphrasing)...  If you have a computer that has +5V on the PBI, then do not connect the power connection to the joystick port (pin 7).  But if you are using a computer without PBI +5V, then connect the blue wire to Pin 7  of the joystick port. 

I had always heard that so long as the power is coming from the same source, it makes no difference if you have more than one +5V connection.  So that is not correct -- why?  BTW, love the Sys-Check XL -- great device!

2 hours ago, DjayBee said:

Translating the German text gives "you do not need to plug it in" but not "you may not plug it in".

I guess that nothing bad will happen if you do it anyway.

Probably not, but if you've done the 5V to PBI mod on an 800XL, then that's all the SysCheck needs, so why would you connect it to the joystick port as well? That's just silly. Why go to the bother?

Maybe I'm missing something.

Edited by bfollowell

The issue could arise when switching among various XL computers.  "Let's see... did I add a power connection to this 800 XL?"  But more than that, is there an issue having more than one +5V connection from the same power source? I've always heard it is not an issue.

Hello guys

GND is only one pin away.  If you mistakenly plug the wire onto the wrong pin, you might kill your computer if the wire is connected to ground and the PBI has +5VDC.  But maybe @tf_hh has built in something to prevent that and foolproof the Sys-Check.

It would be nice though if you could easily remove and attach the wire.  Just in case you sometimes use Sys-Check with computers that have and sometimes computers that do not have +5VDC on the PBI.

Sincerely

Mathy

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/9/2021 at 4:22 PM, Larry said:

I'm curious about something in the instructions for the XL version.  (I'm paraphrasing)...  If you have a computer that has +5V on the PBI, then do not connect the power connection to the joystick port (pin 7).  But if you are using a computer without PBI +5V, then connect the blue wire to Pin 7  of the joystick port. 

I had always heard that so long as the power is coming from the same source, it makes no difference if you have more than one +5V connection.  So that is not correct -- why?  BTW, love the Sys-Check XL -- great device!

The text in the manual is:

"When using Sys-Check with an Atari 800 XL that does not have the "PBI 5 volts patch", the attached blue cable must be inserted to pin 7 of joystick port 2. When using an Atari 600 XL or any XE model this cable must not be attached."

Maybe the english translation is not really clear, but until today I thought it was clear to understand. If you have better ideas, let me know and I will update the manual ?

Of course you can attach the blue cable to joystick port #2 pin 7, even when your XL machine has 5 volts at pin 47 and/or pin 48 of the PBI, but it´s not mandatory.

On 10/10/2021 at 10:33 PM, Larry said:

The issue could arise when switching among various XL computers.  "Let's see... did I add a power connection to this 800 XL?"  But more than that, is there an issue having more than one +5V connection from the same power source? I've always heard it is not an issue.

To be clear: You always CAN attach the blue wire even when the XL is equipped with "PBI 5 volt patch" or not. Nothing can be damaged.

And yes, the next evolution of Sys-Check will have a simple power LED for this ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Larry said:

A power led is a nice idea. 

IF you wanted to change the wording, I would say "When using an Atari 600 XL, or any XE model, attaching the power cable is not necessary."

As "must not" translates to German "darf nicht" while German "muss nicht" which @tf_hh probably meant is "need not" or the above in English. One of the traps of our related languages. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Larry said:

IF you wanted to change the wording, I would say "When using an Atari 600 XL, or any XE model, attaching the power cable is not necessary."

I´ve changed the manual this way, will be included in the next version. Thanks! ??

• Like 2

On 10/11/2021 at 12:19 AM, Mathy said:

GND is only one pin away.  If you mistakenly plug the wire onto the wrong pin, you might kill your computer if the wire is connected to ground and the PBI has +5VDC.

It seems this is totally overlooked in the responses? I think Mathy is right that this could be very bad for your computer.

On 10/11/2021 at 12:19 AM, Mathy said:

It would be nice though if you could easily remove and attach the wire.

Solder a DB9 connector to the wire, and make 100% sure you connect to the +5V pin :)

Hello Ivo

1 hour ago, ivop said:

Solder a DB9 connector to the wire, and make 100% sure you connect to the +5V pin :)

That's on the computer side.  I meant that it would be nice if you could easily connect the wire to and disconnect the wire from the PCB (in this case the Sys-Check).

Sincerely

Mathy

2 hours ago, ivop said:

It seems this is totally overlooked in the responses? I think Mathy is right that this could be very bad for your computer.

Overkill for many, maybe? But I think this is a very good idea actually. I think the only problem is the fact that you have this one wire coming off the board, and it would be supporting the entire weight of a DB9 connector all by itself. I believe it would put a lot of strain on the conductor and make it prone to breaking.

It's definitely a sound idea in theory though. It just needs a more practical way of accomplishing it so that it doesn't damage the conductor.

1 hour ago, Mathy said:

That's on the computer side.  I meant that it would be nice if you could easily connect the wire to and disconnect the wire from the PCB (in this case the Sys-Check).

Also a good idea. I would think this should be easy enough to accomplish. You'd just need to remove the wire and solder some sort of post connector or something similar in its place, and then attach the appropriate opposite gender connector to the wire.

Edited by bfollowell

1 hour ago, tmp said:

I need to do this. Sys-Check is probably the only thing that I'll ever have that would benefit from it, unless the external U1MB makes use of it, but it's convenient and easy enough to do. Thanks for the pictures and the link.

Edited by bfollowell

13 hours ago, bfollowell said:

I need to do this. Sys-Check is probably the only thing that I'll ever have that would benefit from it, unless the external U1MB makes use of it, but it's convenient and easy enough to do. Thanks for the pictures and the link.

IDE Plus adapters also benefit from it.

• Like 1