IGNORED

Easiest modern option to run .DSK files?

VicViper

I'm trying to dig into the deeper cuts with my 99 and start discovering the software that was only released in disk format, what are my modern options? I've heard the NanoPEB discussed alot, although that seems a bit dated now and not easily available. I've also seen the TIPI discussed, but that seems to be a bit more advanced, it appears as though i need to set up my own Raspberry Pi to use it? Most all of my other 8-bit computers seem to have a very approachable SD floppy emulator device, is there one for the TI99 that I'm missing?

1 hour ago, VicViper said:

I'm trying to dig into the deeper cuts with my 99 and start discovering the software that was only released in disk format, what are my modern options? I've heard the NanoPEB discussed alot, although that seems a bit dated now and not easily available. I've also seen the TIPI discussed, but that seems to be a bit more advanced, it appears as though i need to set up my own Raspberry Pi to use it? Most all of my other 8-bit computers seem to have a very approachable SD floppy emulator device, is there one for the TI99 that I'm missing?

Best way is $9 PI and TIPI and SAMS, I have it in a Pbox but there are side ports you can do instead.

5 minutes ago, RXB said:

Best way is $9 PI and TIPI and SAMS, I have it in a Pbox but there are side ports you can do instead.

So I've already got a 32K sidecar I bought a few years back. While I have a original PEB I loathe heaving the thing out and hooking it up, so I'd probably just be going side port. Does running the TIPI need the extra RAM from SAMS? I have zero experience with raspberry Pis, is it pretty straight forward?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, VicViper said:

So I've already got a 32K sidecar I bought a few years back. While I have a original PEB I loathe heaving the thing out and hooking it up, so I'd probably just be going side port. Does running the TIPI need the extra RAM from SAMS? I have zero experience with raspberry Pis, is it pretty straight forward?

Tipi with sidecar 32K + Tipi board is straightforward with Raspberry Pi 3B+.

For PEB also see thw Gotek floppy emulator option.  Arcadeshopper has setup ones.  You need to set it up knce then Easy to copy .dsk files to a USB 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VicViper said:

I'll chime on this one.

Unless you are specifically wanting to run SAM's specific software then the SAM's is not needed.  Hooking up and using the TIPI with a Raspberry Pi is fairly easy.  See Jedimatt42's GitHub  Wiki has everything you need to know:  Home · jedimatt42/tipi Wiki · GitHub

If cost is a consideration.  The TIPI/32K (from Arcade Shopper) and a $10 Raspberry Pi Zero W* is the best value. You will have to solder on a header, provide a suitable case, microSD card, and appropriate power 5volt power supplies(s).

If you decide you need a SAMs then the SAMs sidecar combined with a TIPI sidecar and a Pi Zero W* is a superb higher priced solution.

I own both, and they both work very well. 

The nice thing about the TIPI/32K is that it fully fits nicely in an old Speech Synth case (or, if needed, a custom 3D printed case). 

Again Arcade Shopper can provide a ready to use solution.

* If you already own a Raspberry Pi 3B or 4 then you can certainly use it versus purchasing a new Pi Zero W.  

(see: Which PI · jedimatt42/tipi Wiki · GitHub )

DG

• Like 1