IGNORED

BennVenn LCD no video but sound/buttons work

Nightlite1999

Sudden issue with my BennVenn v6 modded Lynx.  Yesterday it was working great.  Today I turned it on and I get sound but nothing outputs to video!  It seems like everything else works though.  Any ideas on what the cause could be?  Screen lights up so it is getting power. Tried a few different games and nothing is displaying.  No idea what could be causing it. Hoping that maybe someone here might have had the same issue. Thanks in advance!

• 3 weeks later...

Inexplicably it went out again!  Chatted with BennVenn and figured out that it probably was not a bad lcd unit. I swapped in the original unit and was not able to get video either. So it looks like some component in the lynx is bad. The only good news appears to be that even though I don't get video, sound and everything else works so maybe it is fixable. Unfortunately it is a little beyond my scope right now. Anyone have a recommendation on someone I can send it to?

I was playing around with the Lynx yesterday while getting myself ready to do a recap on my own since I was not able to source out anyone willing to take it in.  I am okay with a soldering iron, but I did not have any of my old tools since moving to/from Alaska.  In preparation I bought a Hakko FX901 cordless iron, some NI-MH batteries to use in it, and other basic soldering stuff along with a Console5 recap kit.  I am holding off on the power kit since all the components are surface mounted and I am not even sure my iron will be able to get them free.  I was futzing with the Lynx yesterday when the battery LED started to flicker.  I was following up on another post that suggested a "playing blind" condition could be a bad or dirty cart slot so I was cleaning the cart slot and putting carts in and powering up the system.  So this seems like a silly oversight on my part, but I assumed that I had a good power source.  After all, everything on the Lynx powered up except for displaying graphics.  I don't have an AC adapter.  I have only ever used batteries in my Lynx since I bought it new from KB Toys when they were clearing them out.  So I swapped out the batteries and everything works!  I am not 100% sure why depleted batteries would prevent just the video from displaying but allow sound, buttons, and backlight to power up.  Anyway, I will probably still do a recap at some point, but the pressure is off.  A visual inspection of the capacitors don't show any problems with leaking or any other obvious issues.  I have owned this system since new and have taken very good care of it.  Just glad that it not dead!