IGNORED

HSC18 Round 17: GAMES FROM 2020/2021

BI-ANNUAL BENDER!

GAMES FROM 2020/2021

A chance to checkout some of the newer games from the dedicated atarians keeping the system alive :thumbsup:

Pick any game from 2020 or 2021 and post scores along with some comments (the authors may be reading them!) checkout fandal's atari news section for dowloads (click on news archive at the bottom of the page for more) or atarionline.pl for the games. If it's a good HSC game say so and it will be a main game in the tourney, others will score bonus points.

3 week round ends Monday 1st November 12pm UK time

Does anyone want to review any of the games (or any other games) for Pro(c) Atari Magazine? If so please send me something here on atariage as we are about to start on the next issue and have 100 pages to fill! As well as a great read, Markus "Powersoft" has some cool Atari T-Shirts, Mugs and other goodies perfect for presents (to yourselves!) which help fund the magazine.

The Games

A couple to get us started, will add others as they are played :idea:

Reviews of many of the new games can be found on the superb Atariteca site :thumbsup:

For anyone wanting to try a few out the most competetive games from a HSC point of view (of those I've played!) are Return of the Fungi, Space Assailants, Kooky Diver, Cross Bomber and Alien Assault :thumbsup: Everyone should check out Albert too; even if only to say WOW!

Return of the Fungi

return_of_the_fungi-1.png.eb09d70fcfc847c523fd4d0d16326090.png

from Simon Hunt programmer of ESC superb Diamonds and Dan Strikes Back!

On 10/7/2021 at 6:50 PM, simonh said:

If you go for Return of the Fungi, make sure to download the updated release from RetroUnite -- zip file: "DD3-Bundle-210922.zip", binary: "ReturnOfTheFungi_ii.xex". This updated version fixes the "load" issues that some folks were experiencing, and also fixes a PAL/Graphics bug.

Kooky Diver

kooky_diver_2021.png.a9d45bc6672e40b13e6850302a0624d3.png

NEW: Rameses Revenge

EVERYONE WELCOME TO PLAY, JUST POST A SCORE OR TEN!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

Pick any game from 2020 or 2021 and post scores along with some comments (the authors may be reading them!) checkout fandal's atari news section for dowloads (click on news archive at the bottom of the page for more) or atarionline.pl for the games. If it's a good HSC game say so and it will be a main game in the tourney, others will score bonus points.

7 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

Return of the Fungi

return_of_the_fungi-1.png.eb09d70fcfc847c523fd4d0d16326090.png

from Simon Hunt programmer of ESC superb Diamonds and Dan Strikes Back!

For ROTF, folks may also want to post which "Wave" they made it to. Remember, if you beat all 20 waves, you'll score bonus points for lives remaining.  I'm looking forward to seeing the high scores and screen shots roll in :).

~S

• Like 3

I'm happy to announce that I found an Easter Egg in RotF.  This has been confirmed by @simonh himself.  I'm super psyched, as I've never found an undiscovered one before.  :) :) :) 

I'll admit, I stumbled on it quite by accident and it took me a fair amount of time to finally be able to reproduce it.  I don't want to post any spoilers or anything without getting a feel from the room, first.  

• Like 4

We can play ANY new game from 2020/21? Cool! I picked "Adam Is Me":

20211013_010837.thumb.jpg.0d87ef2d708778048efd59235278c5f6.jpg

Not sure if this is going to be an easy one to score for HSC. I beat the first 8 stages. I think the number in the upper right shows how many stages remain, in which case my score is 32. (Lower is better.)

I hadn't heard about this one being released, but I'm super pumped to see it. It's an 8-bit port of "Baba Is You", which is a game I've played on Steam and LOVE. 

In a nutshell, movable tiles spell out the rules for each level, and the rules can be modified. One tile says "Adam", another says "Is", and a third says "Me". If all three are touching (horizontally or vertically), then that comprises a rule for the level: the Adam sprite is the player character. Other rules might be Wall Is Stop, Ship Is Win, Lake Is Sink, etc. But you can push the tiles around to make new rules and thus change the relationships in the game. Each level is a puzzle where you must set yourself up to achieve a winning condition by juggling the rules spatially. It's pretty ingenious, actually.

Give it a try if you haven't already! The intro is also very cool with some pseudo 3-D rotation.

Edited by graywest
  • Like 3

On 10/13/2021 at 6:18 AM, graywest said:

We can play ANY new game from 2020/21? Cool! I picked "Adam Is Me":

Give it a try if you haven't already! The intro is also very cool with some pseudo 3-D rotation.

:thumbsup:

On 10/13/2021 at 3:42 PM, rra said:

Thanks for adding Kooky Diver to this month's high score challenge!  It's always great to see other people play and enjoy our games!

Thanks,

Robert Anschuetz

A/W/A

We're long overdue a look at what's new, thanks for creating Kooky Diver :thumbsup:

23 hours ago, Yautja said:

Intellidiscs

:thumbsup:

22 hours ago, Yautja said:

The reviews (in Spanish; but there's a Google translate button):

Feel free to use whatever is good for PROC mag,

- Y -

Double thank you Y :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

We have 3 weeks to play all the games, scoring will be based on participation ;-)

I'm hoping to have some (left handed) Atari time next week :cool:

Wow! I counted to ~60 games, skipping all the River Raid hacks as well as those 2020 games we already played in the HSC. I doubt I'll try to play them all, but at least load to see what it is about. 9 of those were already mentioned above, so that is a good selection to begin with.

• Like 2