IGNORED

I'm loading Silent Service from a vinyl record :)

nowy80

13 hours ago, Level42 said:

I must be a chagrin but I totally fail to see the point of this. 

Maybe Youtube views? Besides that, I think this does not need a special purpose. It is just plain fun to see it working ? One scratch or a lot of static and it will not load anymore ?

Thanks for the links @ivop! That Belgium company is a lot cheaper than a Dutch company I found some months ago.

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 1

I'm going to have to look into that interface, since my tape player doesn't work at all (looks like a few dead links in that thread, though).

23 hours ago, Rybags said:

Though the amount of music you'd get on a record would be pretty variable.  A studio album would be usually 4-5 songs a side so 20-25 minutes but you'd get those compilation ones where they'd cram 15-20 songs on and they'd usually go closer to 40 minutes a side.

I've read that somewhere around 19 minutes is optimal, and after that the sound quality starts to dip.

• Like 1

Yeah.  Naturally why they went 78 in the early days, likely the manufacturing tolerances meant they needed the higher rpm to get the required fidelity.

An EP on 12" 45 will just about always sound better than the 7" version and you tend to find those 20 song variety albums sound a bit crap compared to a 8 song original artist album.

On 10/10/2021 at 4:41 PM, nowy80 said:

I love the sound of a vinyl record. It is very warm and palpable. I have a turntable connected to a tube amplifier. The sound of loading the game is also very pleasant and vivid. The SIO sound interface was produced by Piotr Bugaj from Poland. It is a device that converts the audio signal from RCA to SIO (mono). I used a cable for my bass guitar. Any real copper will work and has no effect on creating the sound :)

AFAIK Piotr Bugaj created several variants of this interface. Some of them even support turbo. Piotr calls these interfaces 'Bum Box'.

More info is at Polish A8 forums. It works very nicely. The only disadvantage (obviously) is ignorance of the MOTOR CTRL signal. But lot of software can be loaded anyway.

3 hours ago, baktra said:

AFAIK Piotr Bugaj created several variants of this interface. Some of them even support turbo. Piotr calls these interfaces 'Bum Box'.

More info is at Polish A8 forums. It works very nicely. The only disadvantage (obviously) is ignorance of the MOTOR CTRL signal. But lot of software can be loaded anyway.

You could have a direct drive turntable with external cue (start) input like DJs use and have the motor-control line control it……

Oh man, did I actually do a suggestion to stupefy this even further ? :D

Edited by Level42
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Fred_M said:

Maybe Youtube views? Besides that, I think this does not need a special purpose. It is just plain fun to see it working ? One scratch or a lot of static and it will not load anymore ?

Thanks for the links @ivop! That Belgium company is a lot cheaper than a Dutch company I found some months ago.

I have become over-allergic to the cassette loading sounds in my youth. It’s a trauma, please respect that.

also: I don’t see the technical challenge, it is only logical that the audio sounds will load….it doesn’t matter which media it’s coming from. We’ve had the NOS Basicode radio transmissions BITD and at some point they even put those programs on a Compact Disc.  (after which Philips took them to court because they we’re afraid with their CD-ROM coming up….).

You can put these sounds on Minidisc, reel-to-reel tape, VHS HiFi recorders or maybe even 8-track…..it’ll all work.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fred_M said:

the longest Atari tape

So, what IS the longest Atari tape ever released BITD? :D

Fred suggested Gauntlet, at 18 minutes. That's a single load. But also Phantom, which I was told loads extra levels, even from the B-side of the tape, and you have to keep track of the tape counter in case you die and have to return to level 1 :)

I propose two categories. Single game load time (most of them were under 15 minutes), and games that load extra levels. What are the longest Atari tapes ever? :)

Edited by ivop
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, ivop said:

So, what IS the longest Atari tape ever released BITD? :D

Fred suggested Gauntlet, at 18 minutes. That's a single load. But also Phantom, which I was told loads extra levels, even from the B-side of the tape, and you have to keep track of the tape counter in case you die and have to return to level 1 :)

I propose two categories. Single game load time (most of them were under 15 minutes), and games that load extra levels. What are the longest Atari tapes ever? :)

It seems like my memory is not that good anymore, so I checked things... (load a tape in Altirra and check the length of the data in the cas-file)

Gauntlet (Kixx release) loads 23.30 minutes of the A-side (including a short break for the title screen and choosing  1 or 2 players) and then 2 minutes for the first level on the B-side. So it uses a level loading system too. Side B (all levels) is 29 minutes long in total. So the loading time of the game and all levels is over 52 minutes.....

I was wrong about Phantom. It does load extra levels (but it does not use the B-side like Gauntlet). Only the original Tynesoft version is correct. All other rereleases are missing the last level on the tapes (found out by @CharlieChaplin) The total loading time of the tape including the seperate loading of all levels is just under 20 minutes.

So Gauntlet wins this one.... On LP this game would be a box set ?

Edited by Fred_M
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Bounty Bob Strikes Back was on tape and pretty huge though maybe not the longest.

Likely that it and the others mentioned have images that could be compared.  Though potentially a multipart tape can add an extra 5-10 seconds for each section though some games were mastered with short leader on the extra sections.

I don't know why we nerds do stuff like this... but it's what I love about nerds.

I think there should be some kind of achievement awarded for booting retro software off a record.

It's like that time I hacked a Zip disk onto a classic black and white mac to burn software onto floppy disks that could be read on a IIgs. It worked. When I got done, I was like 'well that is a thing that I did. I am not sure why I did it. But I did it.' ?

• Like 1

On 10/11/2021 at 9:34 AM, Fred_M said:

lp.thumb.jpg.28c4c3e0ed8a3c395d296bca128c8c89.jpg

In Europe EPs were also made on 7  and 10 inch vinyl. I have several in my collection.

Here in the U.S., most EPs were done on 12” vinyl.  Some were 33 1/3 RPM and some were 45.  There was really no rhyme or reason to it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tinman said:

Here in the U.S., most EPs were done on 12” vinyl.  Some were 33 1/3 RPM and some were 45.  There was really no rhyme or reason to it.

In Europe where was really no rhyme or reason too. I have 7" EPs that are 33 1/3 RPM. Over here the "Maxi single" was very popular. It was 12" with (most of the time) an extended version of the song on the A-side and a couple of songs on the B-side.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ivop said:

megacd-rmake.thumb.png.b34860a99562518c00821a1c12bfba97.png

Would there be any interest?

I don't expect much interest for hooking up a record player to an Atari. But, can it be used to connect for example a standard tape deck? It can be interesting for people who don't have/want an Atari Data Recorder ?