IGNORED

Ultima IV Remastered 1.2.1 released

Sean Gugler

Announcing the release of

Ultima IV Remastered 1.2.1 for Apple II

This release is by Sean Gugler, continued directly from version 2.2.1 for Commodore 64 by MagerValp and Genesis Project, back-ported for the first time to Apple II.

Notable new features:

• Numerous crash fixes
  • Gender-neutral option for character creation
  • Ctrl+V turns music on and off during play
  • Skull artifact behaves sensibly in combat
  • Reward for skull quest fixed
  • Animation and naming improvments for non-creature NPCs in combat
  • Teleporting with trainer preserves your horses and ships
  • Complete reconstructed disassembly and documentation, including music and graphic routines

Notable features ported from MagerValp's 2015 edition:

• Many dialogue bugs have been fixed
  • Trainer menu for cheat options: unlimited resources and spells, idle without pass, steer balloon, teleport
  • Select active character in combat with 1-8, 0 returns to party mode
  • You can quit and save in dungeons
  • Prompt to confirm before leaving the borders of a towne, castle, or village
  • All shrine hints now accessible by meditating for different cycles
  • Hythloth dungeon rooms on level 6 are now accessible

See the complete list of changes with detailed explanations at:
https://github.com/sean-gugler/u4remasteredA2/wiki/Technical_Details

Download and read my development tale at:

https://github.com/sean-gugler/u4remasteredA2/wiki

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Sean Gugler said:

Notable new features:

• Gender-neutral option for character creation

Did gender ever actually affect anything in the game?  Dialog options maybe?  I honestly don't remember.

I tried both sets of instructions (docker and without) and get this error:

make: *** No rule to make target 'src/include/apple_detect.i', needed by 'src/patchedgame/program/BOOT.o'.  Stop.

15 hours ago, Tempest said:

Did gender ever actually affect anything in the game?  Dialog options maybe?  I honestly don't remember.

There's a symbol in the "Ztats" screen, ♀ or ♂ for female or male. That's the only effect. Trivial enough to add a third symbol; I hope it makes some people very happy.

15 hours ago, Tempest said:

No rule to make target 'src/include/apple_detect.i'

Whoops! Now pushed to github. Thanks for reporting that!

Now I'm getting this error with docker

make: *** No rule to make target 'src/include/apple_detect.i', needed by 'src/patchedgame/program/BOOT.o'.  Stop

And this error with Make All

ld65 -m src/patchedgame/program/ULT4.map -C src/patchedgame/overlay8800.cfg -Ln src/patchedgame/program/ULT4.lab \
    -o src/patchedgame/program/ULT4.prg  src/patchedgame/program/ULT4.o src/loadaddr.o || (rm -f src/patchedgame/program/ULT4.prg && exit 1)
ld65: Warning: src/patchedgame/overlay8800.cfg(12): Segment 'OVERLAY' does not exist
ld65: Error: Missing memory area assignment for segment 'MAIN'
make: *** [Makefile:161: src/patchedgame/program/ULT4.prg] Error 1
rm src/loadaddr.o

Hi @Tempest,

I'm not personally familiar with docker (support was included by pull request from another contributor), but it looks to me like the container didn't get the update with the new file. Maybe wipe your container and try again?

The make error suggests your version of Make might not support the .SECONDEXPANSION directive, or handles the $(wildcard) function incompatibly. Line 161 is supposed to select ULT4.cfg for linking ULT4.o, not overlay8800.cfg. In the README, I recommend using GNU Make 4.2. What version of Make are you using?

Edited by Sean Gugler

2 hours ago, Goochman said:

If someone were to take on an 8bit version Ive documented a few things in this thread

Thanks for sharing that! I assume by "an 8bit version" you mean porting the Remaster to Atari 8-bit? That task should be made easier with the source code I published, which already has the tables and values you mentioned in a format ready to use by the CC65 assembler. You might enjoy browsing through the following files to fill the gaps in some of your tables:

https://github.com/sean-gugler/u4remasteredA2/blob/documented/src/include/tiles.i

https://github.com/sean-gugler/u4remasteredA2/blob/documented/src/include/dungeon.i

https://github.com/sean-gugler/u4remasteredA2/blob/documented/src/include/char.i

https://github.com/sean-gugler/u4remasteredA2/blob/documented/src/include/ROST.i

https://github.com/sean-gugler/u4remasteredA2/blob/documented/src/include/PRTY.i

Cheers, and always glad to see more people interested in analyzing and sharing!

8 hours ago, Tempest said:

I deleted everything and started over again but I'm still getting that error when I try to use docker.

That's peculiar. I wish I could help more; I have no idea why docker would be unable to find that file.

8 hours ago, Tempest said:

I'm using Gnu Make 4.3-3 according to the package manager. 

Well I can at least reproduce this issue. I've installed Gnu Make 4.3 and I see the same behavior. I'll let you know when I've pushed an update.

I'm getting this error now:

ld65: Warning: src/patchedgame/overlay8800.cfg(12): Segment 'OVERLAY' does not exist
Unresolved external 'cmd_done' referenced in:
  src/trainer/TRAINERS.s(98)
  src/trainer/TRAINERS.s(181)
  src/trainer/TRAINERS.s(198)
  src/trainer/TRAINERS.s(332)
  src/trainer/TRAINERS.s(417)
  src/trainer/TRAINERS.s(424)
Unresolved external 'combat_end_turn' referenced in:
  src/trainer/TRAINERS.s(387)
Unresolved external 'done_not_here' referenced in:
  src/trainer/TRAINERS.s(301)
  src/trainer/TRAINERS.s(344)
Unresolved external 'done_only_on_foot' referenced in:
  src/trainer/TRAINERS.s(82)
Unresolved external 'done_what' referenced in:
  src/trainer/TRAINERS.s(427)
Unresolved external 'input_char' referenced in:
  src/trainer/TRAINERS.s(87)
  src/trainer/TRAINERS.s(305)
Unresolved external 'is_awake' referenced in:
  src/trainer/TRAINERS.s(406)
  src/trainer/TRAINERS.s(434)
Unresolved external 'location_map_x' referenced in:
  src/trainer/TRAINERS.s(169)
Unresolved external 'location_map_y' referenced in:
  src/trainer/TRAINERS.s(167)
ld65: Error: 9 unresolved external(s) found - cannot create output file
make: *** [Makefile:161: src/trainer/TRAINERS.prg] Error 1
rm src/loadaddr.o src/patchedgame/program/MBSM.prg src/patchedgame/program/NEWGAME.prg src/patchedgame/program/SUBS.prg src/patchedgame/program/INIT.prg src/patchedgame/program/BOOT.prg src/patchedgame/program/MBSI.prg src/patchedgame/program/SEL.prg

38 minutes ago, Sean Gugler said:

Tag v1.2.2 updated again. This time I tested with a fresh git clone instead of relying on "make clean" ... hopefully that shakes out the last of the issues!

Ok that ran without errors.  So where are the actual disk files?  Is that was the .DO files are?

The slideshows disks let you browse all the graphic images in the game, including the splash screen, the new game sequence, the end game, and the sprite sheet tiles. I created them to test my Python image decoding logic, and put them in the release just for fun.

Ultima V ... well, I've never played the game, but it's next on my list to enjoy. As for a Remaster, no promises, but who knows?

1 hour ago, Sean Gugler said:

Ultima V ... well, I've never played the game, but it's next on my list to enjoy. As for a Remaster, no promises, but who knows?

If you thought U4 was buggy, you should see U5.  Not that the bugs are game breaking (I've beaten both U4 and U5 on the Apple II without issue), but since it's so much more complex than U4 there are lots of bugs.