duderino81

Please for the love of god don’t buy games that are set to be delivered within 10 days when the system is god knows how far away from launch .

20 hours ago, Rev said:

Surely is the longest title in Atari Age history!   🤣😜

No, there's at least this one:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Parker77 said:

But the console was completed. It was on shelves, and finished. This isn't. Ever Ade just got delayed,shipping problems. But I've seen the packaging,the UI, it's a finished product, as was the PS5.

I would argue the PS5 never got on the shelves, but I already replied to another person that it is a moot point.  You guys make it sound like the Amico is never coming out. It will be coming out soon. I've already pre-ordered PS5 games that are not coming out until 2022. Heck, I even pre-ordered Bayonetta 3 and don't own a switch. I plan on borrowing one.

It is stuff like this which is why I have been backing off social media a lot lately. So much drama and toxicity. And this topic is over video games. Sheesh, talk about first world problems.  I usually don't bite anymore but it will always amaze me how people get offended over how other people spend their money.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Papy said:

Do not imagine that what you want is what the rest of the world wants.

Yeh no no. Things don’t work that way.

1 hour ago, roots.genoa said:

No, there's at least this one:

Did you see the wall of text in his first post?    He must be related to Papy!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Keatah said:

All this seems gimmicky to me. IDK. As kids we never "supported" Atari and Intellivision back in the day. The games showed up in the stores, we bought them. No internet noise got in the way. And a console was either successful or not. There was no onus on the consumer to "support" a company.

To clarify.. Atari, early 1st Activision, Mattel, Imagic, Sirius, Br0derbund, early-Apple, Beagle Bros. Applied Engineering, and early-Coleco were tops among the companies which seemingly worked to earn the respect and awe of their consumers. They put real products out there that were creative and exploited the new art form to its fullest. We revered them as gods. And if not gods, then on their way to becoming one.

As those consumers, we appreciated that and spread the word by casual mention in casual discussion. It was like hey you gotta see this new game, xyz. Or like you gotta use this utility tool.

There was a certain dynamicism in conversation that would often lead to mentioning other products all the while generating new ideas.

Where is this today?

• Like 3

$150 for some cards in a flimsy box.  No thanks.   Selling only in packs is a bit shady too.  I wouldn't tell anyone how to spend their money but seems like a waste to me.  

Companies will do preorders but I've never seen a company sell games before the console. Feels like they're desperate for some revenue. 

1 minute ago, jbrodack said:

Feels like they're desperate for some revenue. 

The way I see it is that Intellivision seriously struggles with the scheduling of productions and shipments. I'm guessing they tried to have the games' boxes and the first consoles to arrive at the same time, but things are so chaotic that they got the boxes months before they were even able to start the production of the consoles.

At the same time, some people were more and more screaming for information. They were becoming impatient. This pushed Intellivision to reveal their physical product before they wanted to in order to appease people.

So the situation was that Intellivision had the boxes in stock and people knew about them. So despite the console not being able to ship yet, why not sell the boxes right now if there is a demand? I mean isn't it normal for a company to sell a product if some people want it? Sure, to someone "reasonable" it may look weird that some people wanted to buy these boxes before they had their consoles, but don't blame Intellivision if some of its customers (including me) are "weird"! 🤪

• Like 3

Present-day intellivision has seemingly infinite more resources available to them than their brethren from 1980. Bigger, better, faster development tools. A more powerful hardware base - x100. A global communications network in the form of the the internet and videoconferencing.

And yet, somehow, they can't release anything after 2 years? In 1980-1982 Mattel/Intellivision had a whole product catalog of titles. Shipping titles. Real titles that were in my bookcase. Actual boxes with real-life games. Can you imagine that?!? Real. Life. Games.

So much for that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Keatah said:

Present-day intellivision has seemingly infinite more resources available to them than their brethren from 1980. Bigger, better, faster development tools. A more powerful hardware base - x100. A global communications network in the form of the the internet and videoconferencing.

And yet, somehow, they can't release anything after 2 years? In 1980-1982 Mattel/Intellivision had a whole product catalog of titles. Shipping titles. Real titles that were in my bookcase. Actual boxes with real-life games. Can you imagine that?!? Real. Life. Games.

So much for that.

Wouldn't that be something?

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Oldfool said:

I have a PS5 controller I got at launch. I still don’t have a PS5. Almost a year. I could order this Amico 8 pack now, and I would have a fighting chance of getting my Amico in less than a year. 

Then there’s this one; also not the company that you can buy the games before console launch.

https://apple.news/AA34NL5OCRGCGuhpBfjPciw

Heres a blurb from it to get my point across - “The durability of the Nintendo Switch's controllers remains an open question, four and a half years into the popular console’s existence.”…

45 minutes ago, Keatah said:

So much for that.

The hundreds of millions of dollars Mattel lost on Intellivision dwarfs whatever budget Intellivision Entertainment has.  Mattel wanted Intellivision to be out in 1978, they had five cartridges ready to go.  In 1979 they were able to squeeze out a few systems but had to postpone their marketing plans.  It wasn't until 1980, two years after their initial target that Intellivision was out in numbers.  To be fair Intellivision also made Mattel

hundreds of millions of dollars early on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, jbrodack said:

$150 for some cards in a flimsy box.  No thanks.   Selling only in packs is a bit shady too.  I wouldn't tell anyone how to spend their money but seems like a waste to me.  

Companies will do preorders but I've never seen a company sell games before the console. Feels like they're desperate for some revenue. 

Well, that and 8 complete and premium-for-the-system games.  

Sounds reasonable to me; of course I could have forgone the physical versions and saved $60.  What system do you prefer, and can you say the same?  Now to me, that is what sounds a bit shady. 

I don't know about all this being shady. Gimmicky? Sure. Desperate? Maybe. Misguided marketing? Absolutely positively.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Starpaddler said:

Then there’s this one; also not the company that you can buy the games before console launch.

https://apple.news/AA34NL5OCRGCGuhpBfjPciw

Heres a blurb from it to get my point across - “The durability of the Nintendo Switch's controllers remains an open question, four and a half years into the popular console’s existence.”…

I personally have replaced joysticks in joycons because of drift. I mostly use a pro controller now because of the poor joycon construction.

1 hour ago, Oldfool said:

I personally have replaced joysticks in joycons because of drift. I mostly use a pro controller now because of the poor joycon construction.

Yea, but guess that one gets a buy (or re-buy in your case); but release games before a console and thats what gets called shady?  Go figure.  

Different strokes I guess, but at least you won't hear me judge you for how you spent your money 🤣

Edited by Starpaddler

2 hours ago, Keatah said:

So much for that.

I can't really make sense of what you're saying in this post in light of what is going on.

• Like 2

I'm saying selling boxes is an unnecessary marketing stunt. When videogames first came out, gimmicks like these weren't needed.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Keatah said:

I'm saying selling boxes is an unnecessary marketing stunt. When videogames first came out, gimmicks like these weren't needed.

Boxes (and coins) are for collectors and Amico supporters, NFT’s are for folks wanting to more-own a game the lease the digital rights for the same game.  No hate for your apparent preference for pure digital as that’s a personal choice (and one I can’t really argue), but for myself I prefer the extras the physical products provide for the games I’m really interested in.  

Now to be honest, I didn’t originally plan to buy them all (maybe 5), but as they were bundled I made the decisions to bite the bullet.

So, getting me (as a consumer) to spend more than I had originally intended could be chalked up to a good business strategy for IE, but as I keep hearing how un-savvy IE is as a business, that must not be the case… Cake or eat, but you’re not wanting both, are you?

And as for boxes as gimmicks for when video games first came out, you do realize physical existed long before digital, right?  How else were they supposed to sell them other than in boxes?  

Edited by Starpaddler
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Keatah said:

How about the promise it will expand to a home computer. How about a deal on a TV if you purchase a Sears console. How about a voice add on. Gimmicks aren’t new. 

So original Mattel had no gimmicks and no budget. I love the revisionist history to troll or prove a point. 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Starpaddler said:

And as for boxes as gimmicks for when video games first came out, you do realize physical existed long before digital, right?  How else were they supposed to sell them other than in boxes?

I believe this is exactly the point.  The boxes used to hold a physical cart.  Now we’re being asked to purchase digital content as well as, a bundle of boxes with some additional swag added in.  So yeah, it kind of feels like a gimmick.

1 minute ago, sramirez2008 said:

I believe this is exactly the point.  The boxes used to hold a physical cart.  Now we’re being asked to purchase digital content as well as, a bundle of boxes with some additional swag added in. So yeah, it kind of feels like a gimmick.

It is totally a form of a gimmick, but it is an optional gimmick for enthusiasts. The same games will be available without the trinkets, so the gimmicks are absolutely not being forced. 

It isn’t like additional content where the game sucks unless you pay for the upgrade. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

I believe this is exactly the point.  The boxes used to hold a physical cart.  Now we’re being asked to purchase digital content as well as, a bundle of boxes with some additional swag added in.  So yeah, it kind of feels like a gimmick.

Got ya.  Guess they could have sold the NFT’s on cards mounted to card stock, much like gift cards, but for myself I appreciate the box artwork and I already collect challenge coins, so really makes sense for myself; gimmicky or not.  You at least got to give it to IE with their digital being cheaper than the physical, at least I hope so; and if not looking forward to your argument against that. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Oldfool said:

How about the promise it will expand to a home computer. How about a deal on a TV if you purchase a Sears console. How about a voice add on. Gimmicks aren’t new. 

Free TV set or voice add-on are not gimmicks.

Practically every console maker advertised some sort of computer add-on or conversion. It was the industry finding its way. But most came out with a real product.

Gimmicks may not be new. They are necessary if you have a product lacking in some aspect.

So original Mattel had no gimmicks and no budget.

I'm sure they had some sort of budget. It's of passing curiosity to me so I defer that to people interested in the finance operations of early game companies.

Original Mattel had way more real product than gimmicky promotions.

I love the revisionist history to troll or prove a point. 

No trolling. No revisionist history. It is important to learn how to understand others viewpoints. Life is easier then.

53 minutes ago, Starpaddler said:

Boxes (and coins) are for collectors and Amico supporters, NFT’s are for folks wanting to more-own a game the lease the digital rights for the same game.  No hate for your apparent preference for pure digital as that’s a personal choice (and one I can’t really argue), but for myself I prefer the extras the physical products provide for the games I’m really interested in.

On occasion I like a physical release with printed instructions and real media.

53 minutes ago, Starpaddler said:

Dude! I'm like older than the punchcard era. Boxes for real physical carts & disks & tapes aren't gimmicky. Selling boxes for non-existant games is. At least that's how I see it. Collectors are most certainly free to spend their money as they see fit. Just as I am free to make fun of that activity.

• Like 3

Dude! I'm like older than the punchcard era. Boxes for real physical carts & disks & tapes aren't gimmicky. Selling boxes for non-existant games is. At least that's how I see it. Collectors are most certainly free to spend their money as they see fit. Just as I am free to make fun of that activity.

I’ve always thought collecting for the sake of collecting was strange. I blame my mom and her strange porcelain doll collection for that. She also collected stuffed bears, and that was also pretty strange.
  • Like 1