IGNORED

I'm not saying it's aliens .....

Retrospect

.....But it's aliens.

ALIENS.zip <--- XB, EA5 files with instructions.

That's the title of this new game.  It's a space-invaders clone with a difference.  You have the option of standard shields, moving shields, no shields.  

You have 2 different types of "Power-Up" that fly down the screen, Red one will slow you down, Green one will speed you up!

Each wave starts with 40 aliens to blast - each one moving towards the right.  When they've made 16 moves to the right they'll drop down a column, aiming to land near your laser base. If they land, it's game over!  Each alien can shoot at you, so beware of that. Once all 40 aliens have been destroyed you move onto a new wave, with differently styled and coloured aliens, that appear further down the screen each time.  

A bonus saucer will fly across the top of the screen randomly.  Points awarded for killing it are random.  You get 20 points for all normal alien kills.

Once all your laser bases are exhausted, a game summary appears on screen, showing you how many times you fired versus how many aliens you hit.

A comment on your shooting skills will be presented, either complimentary or rude depending on how you played.

Once you get past 8 waves the game will restart from the beginning but retaining your score.  Top score is recorded and shown on title page.

Note:  This game works well with Classic-99 and shows no issues.  Whilst playing the game in JS99er, the screen turned white.  This is a mystery!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4

alienKEYBOARD.zip << contains XB and EA5 and instructions

im not saying its aliens.txt << XB256 source code.  Alter at your own will. Needs compiling with Harry Wilhelm compiler

Line 6502 can be altered to determine the frequency of the power-ups.

This is a version that allows user-defined keys for control. Enjoy.

Edited by Retrospect
  • Like 6

As always, an interesting game. . .between you and Rasmus, we have lots of interesting (and sometimes twisted) new material for our beloved machines. Rasmus is the all-time king of Assembly games and you have taken compiled XB games into space ;)

For that matter, all of the work TMOP is doing to compile older games is also high on my list of very good things.

It is a great time to be a TI fan. . .thank you!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

aliens rev2.zip << Contains XB, EA5 and instructions .  Bug fixed!  This should work in JS99er and real iron. Thanks to Rasmus for his help in finding the bug!

Note: Game now has extra element;  a blue orb flies down the screen in the same manner as the power-ups, however, if this blue orb touches your player base, it will kill you!  Happy blasting!

Edited by Retrospect
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Retrospect said:

aliens rev2.zip << Contains XB, EA5 and instructions .  Bug fixed!  This should work in JS99er and real iron. Thanks to Rasmus for his help in finding the bug!

Note: Game now has extra element;  a blue orb flies down the screen in the same manner as the power-ups, however, if this blue orb touches your player base, it will kill you!  Happy blasting!

I see this new version also has keyboard support. Does it read the joystick also? I was looking in the source and I don'r see where it reads a joystick. Great game by the way!

• Thanks 1

I never thought of 6502 , haha ...

Just a heads up on the progress with the game, more issues have been found, and most solved.  Little things like the player staying in slow mode even when he's not the colour red.  A new version will be posted as soon as possible with hopefully every bug ironed out.  

There's some new things added too; such as;
the speed of enemy fire gets faster the more you progress, 
you can now choose either 3 or 4 shields or none, as before
you can select either joystick or define your own keys.

• Like 6

Here's the final revision of the game;

ALIEN-E,ALIEN-F,ALIEN-G   = EA5 files.  

ALIEN-X  = Extended Basic file.

Blast the aliens before they blast you, collect the green orbs to go faster, but watch out for the red orbs as they slow you down.

So that's a power-up and a power-down.  At the end of each level of a special stage with a Kamikaze Alien intent on your death.

Blast him for extra points.

As the levels progress, the alien's missiles get faster.  Until the point where there's no delay in their speed. They get faster on the third level, and then on the fifth level they are fast as they can go.  

Shoot the bonus flying saucer at the top of the screen for more score.

You have options to have 3 shields, 4 shields, no shields, moving shields, static shields, you can select joystick control or assign your own keys.

If you are on Facebook there's an Extended Basic file on there to download in my new group "Retrospect's Game Corner" .    :) 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Finally got around to playing this.  Really amazing what compiled XB can do with all the things moving.  Really arcade like.

Wish the invaders accelerated when there are fewer...  And you could shoot the zig zag enemy missiles, but a really good implementation!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/17/2021 at 9:56 PM, unhuman said:

Wish the invaders accelerated when there are fewer...

Thanks Unhuman

Yes, the reason the invaders accelerate at the same speed even if only 1 left, is due to me not using the "indexing" system that Tomohiro Nishikado used for the aliens.  There was all sorts of priority number switching , throughout the index , each time one got blasted .... I couldn't even begin to get my head around that ;)