IGNORED

Do C64 and C128 share the same AV cable out?

VicViper

Just grabbed a 128 at an estate sale with just the AC. Plugged it in with my C64 composite and it worked, but I was only getting faint clicking for audio. Suspecting a bad audio chip I opened it up and found capacitors 105 and 104 where in pretty rough shape. I pulled them right off the board and ordered a cap kit, but got to thinking, was my audio issue just caused by the cable not being 100 percent compatible? In hindsight I should've tried the RF out before I pulled the bad caps.

33 minutes ago, brain said:

Yes... and no....

Early 64s used a 5 pin AV cable.  Later ones and all 128s used an 8 pin AV cable.  I believe the 5 pin will also work in the 128, so both should work fine.

Jim

Ah so either way I should've had audio. Probably the bad caps or the Audio Chip then I suppose.

For 40 columns, yes (with the 5-pin caveat as mentioned.)   BTW, you will find that most universal A/V cables are 5-pin.  You can use a 5-pin universal cable, but you lose the chroma and luma separated output (technically you lose chroma on pin 6 as luma is on pin 1); you get composite off pin 4.

80-column mode requires a DE9 cable and TTL RGBI monitor.  I built a converter a long time ago to use my C128 with a PCjr monitor.