IGNORED

Homebrew Wish List

ZeroPage Homebrew

Homebrew Wish List

Every time I run across a game that I think would make an awesome 2600/7800 homebrew port, I will be adding it to this list. Some of these are my favourite games and some of them I think would make for super fun conversions!

- James

Arcade:

Console/Computer:

In Development:

Completed:

• Like 2

My homebrew wish list (would like to see on the 2600):

• port of NES RC Pro-AM
  • port of arcade Eyes
  • port of arcade Nibbler (hack Tapeworm?)
  • hack Activision's Ice Hockey into 3 periods of 3mins, instead of only 1 period - team logo's? - time outs (game pause)
  • RealSports Curling 2600  (already made for A5200)
  • a better graphic hack of Slot Machine
  • M Network (Snafu - better graphics) version of Atari's Surround 
  • finish Atari's prototype of Elevator Action
  • port of Vectrex Spike
  • port of "Atari" Food Fight to the 2600
  • port of arcade Bull Fighter
  • port of Lode Runner (WIP already)
  • port of arcade/Vectrex Armor....Attack
  • port of Toobin' (several attempts)
  • NASCAR (port of PC games)
  • VooDoo football (old Java online game)
  • "New" Rally-X port
  • a new version of Ms. Pac-Man for the 2600, that would be closer to the arcade?
  • Baby Pac-Man for the 2600. Can it be done? (7800 version done)
  • PacMania
  • Super Pac-Man (POC done)
  • Major Havoc 
  • Food Fight (POC currently)
  • Space Panic
  • CFL football video game
  • NARC
  • Ivan Stewart's Off Road Challenge
  • Cloak & Dagger (2600/5200)
  • Choplifter (several attempts made)
  •  
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, johnnywc said:

Champ Games has started a POC of this and we hope to finish it someday! (lots of other games in the pipeline ;)  )

Soooo excited for this! I played it in the arcade the other week and it was a blast.

The screenshot looks amazing with the Zoo Keeper style bricks and the mini map at the top! Thanks John, this is going to be so much fun!

- James

• Like 1

On 10/14/2021 at 9:43 PM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Added:

A 1942 port for the 2600 would be awesome. I am not sure if the multisprite kernel is the right way, but I played around with it a bit:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I mentioned this a long time ago, but nobody seemed interested... 

How about a 2 player breakout have inspired by Odyssey 2 Blockout/Breakdown? Player 1 could have much better control with a 2600 paddle than the Odyssey 2 joystick, and player 2 could use a joystick to try to build back the blocks and prevent player 1 from breaking through... It'd be the first mixed paddle /joystick game, I think. A few twists could be built in too (like the ability for player 2 to catch the ball and throw it back, or powerups for player 1 including ones that freeze player 2's men...). 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, doug0909 said:

I mentioned this a long time ago, but nobody seemed interested... 

How about a 2 player breakout have inspired by Odyssey 2 Blockout/Breakdown? Player 1 could have much better control with a 2600 paddle than the Odyssey 2 joystick, and player 2 could use a joystick to try to build back the blocks and prevent player 1 from breaking through... It'd be the first mixed paddle /joystick game, I think. A few twists could be built in too (like the ability for player 2 to catch the ball and throw it back, or powerups for player 1 including ones that freeze player 2's men...). 

That does look like it would make for a really fun 2 player game with the 2600 paddle!

- James

• Like 1

I guess a lot of the better Odyssey 2 games are ripe for reinterpretation. I've seen the interpretations of Pick Axe Pete and UFO, and more could be done with them. I'd love to see a KC Munchkin type game with power ups (freeze dots, attract dots, send ghosts back to pen...). Killer Bees was originally designed for trackball control (there was even a now very rare Wico trackball for the O2)...it'd be awesome with an analog 2600 trackball. Turtles is the one O2 game that's so perfect (it really does play better than the arcade), I don't know if it can be improved upon. The speed and constantly changing colors in Attack of the Timelord make for an incredible experience, but without those predrawn sprites I doubt that could be recreated on the 2600.

All that said... 

The O2 game I'd really like to see reinterpreted

... With a lot of reinterpretation... Is Alien Invaders Plus. In addition to the cool giant monster on top who comes down the screen to wreck you, and the idea of extra ships hidden behind the shields... I really love the idea of a shooter where you win, or the aliens win. On the O2, it's a question of who wins 10 rounds first, which works fine in terms of time commitment. The problem is, I know the patterns and I can beat it 10 to 0 every time if I'm sober and take my time. If someone could create a similar game, with more interesting /varied alien movement, faster action on advanced settings or in later rounds... I think you could end up with a really challenging and frightening experience for aging gamers... 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I could be wrong, but didn't you lately play a homebrew like this one?

You're correct. Bandits is a clone of Stratovox which has an excellent recent port for the 2600.

But... as well as changing the graphics to fruit and making it a lot more cute, the creators of Bandits added quite a number of additional features on top of Stratovox such as a shield, bouncing balls and centipede-like waves of enemies. Check out these two videos to see all the differences:

Bandits C64 (Jump to 6:24 to see the advanced levels with the differences)

Stratovox Arcade:

- James

• 5 months later...

Added a new game to this list. I played this game a LOT on the Apple (we had Apples in our elementary school) and also at home on the C64. It's a great shooter with a twist that it's on the water! Watch out for the mines while you're traversing the waves!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 11/24/2021 at 1:56 AM, doug0909 said:

I guess a lot of the better Odyssey 2 games are ripe for reinterpretation. I've seen the interpretations of Pick Axe Pete and UFO, and more could be done with them. I'd love to see a KC Munchkin type game with power ups (freeze dots, attract dots, send ghosts back to pen...). Killer Bees was originally designed for trackball control (there was even a now very rare Wico trackball for the O2)...it'd be awesome with an analog 2600 trackball. Turtles is the one O2 game that's so perfect (it really does play better than the arcade), I don't know if it can be improved upon. The speed and constantly changing colors in Attack of the Timelord make for an incredible experience, but without those predrawn sprites I doubt that could be recreated on the 2600.

All that said... 

The O2 game I'd really like to see reinterpreted

... With a lot of reinterpretation... Is Alien Invaders Plus. In addition to the cool giant monster on top who comes down the screen to wreck you, and the idea of extra ships hidden behind the shields... I really love the idea of a shooter where you win, or the aliens win. On the O2, it's a question of who wins 10 rounds first, which works fine in terms of time commitment. The problem is, I know the patterns and I can beat it 10 to 0 every time if I'm sober and take my time. If someone could create a similar game, with more interesting /varied alien movement, faster action on advanced settings or in later rounds... I think you could end up with a really challenging and frightening experience for aging gamers... 

Pretty late to the party. But, indeed the Odyssey 2/Videopac has a lot of great games that would be superb if ported to the 2600!

What would be so damn cool if one of the board game-hybrids finds a way to the 2600. If somebody is interested to do, I will be so happy to help with all the artwork. The packaging, illustrations, design and all. I am not a programmer at all but a visual artist and a fanboy for older systems!

• Like 2

• 5 months later...