IGNORED

ZΔRKSTΔRS - A Space Saga

HSW3ET

ZARKSTARS: 1st COMPARTMENT | BOSS
==========================

The game is very challenging, at the level of many Arcade and without losing the original Atari 2600 identity.
Here is the moment of the boss attack at the end of the first compartment!

Edited by daniel.inforede
  • Like 4

Nope mine is also Portuguese only as well. But there is another problem.

Was this game tested with 7800s by chance? Because my cart will try and start as as I can hear some of the tones and then it locks with a black screen and a random one of the tones playing constantly? I've tried it on 3 different 7800s and get the exact same results. I've not tried it with a 2600 yet but I've got some I can pull out real quick to verify.

Otherwise, it appears this game doesn't like 7800s for some reason?

*UPDATE*

Yes it fired right up on a dusty Vader I had sitting in the other room. So something this game doesn't like about 7800 systems or at least it seems odd that is fails to load up and does the same thing on three different 7800s I have here currently.

Well, I have now tried the game on a total of 4 different 7800s and it will not load up on any of them?! One of them is an original AT84 made back in '84 that has always been compatible with every game I've tried in the past. Accept this one. Normally I would think the cart was the issue as 4 different 7800s seems way too strange. But then... it comes right up and plays fine in an old vader 2600 I pulled out for testing it with.

I've asked and others have been able to get it to load up on their 7800s so I'm really at a loss on why it doesn't work with any of mine but seems to work in 2600s. 

1 hour ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Well, I have now tried the game on a total of 4 different 7800s and it will not load up on any of them?! One of them is an original AT84 made back in '84 that has always been compatible with every game I've tried in the past. Accept this one. Normally I would think the cart was the issue as 4 different 7800s seems way too strange. But then... it comes right up and plays fine in an old vader 2600 I pulled out for testing it with.

I've asked and others have been able to get it to load up on their 7800s so I'm really at a loss on why it doesn't work with any of mine but seems to work in 2600s. 

Very mysterious! Do you have one of these Lock On adapters

I'd be curious to see if it would help. 

Just now, hizzy said:

Very mysterious! Do you have one of these Lock On adapters

I'd be curious to see if it would help. 

No... but I have a highscore cart that can act as a passthrough that I've used in the past for tigervision carts and such and get the exact same results.

I'm having the reverse right now with a couple of 2600 homebrews - they play fine on the 7800, but won't play in my 6-switch. This is through a harmony cart, though.

I will follow this topic with interest. It's amazing how many quirks these old ataris have. 

44 minutes ago, hizzy said:

I'm having the reverse right now with a couple of 2600 homebrews - they play fine on the 7800, but won't play in my 6-switch. This is through a harmony cart, though.

I will follow this topic with interest. It's amazing how many quirks these old ataris have. 

that is actually documented and there is an easy hardware fix for it. I believe you have to cut a trace on 6 switch PCB that causes this and as far as anyone can tell, severing this trace doesn't seem to cause any ill to the system or games. Have to dig around as it originally started with a few brews not working from the actual carts but as they were all based on Melody boards it was the same issue.

Found it... I believe this is related to your issue...

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CrazyChris said:

Possible NTSC PAL region problem?

I don't think so as I can see the game try and start as it will usually play a few notes of the starting tune and then hard lock to a black screen with a stuck tone. But the tone that gets stuck changes each time I attempt to load the game as does the number of notes that will play. Sometimes it will be like 4 or so and often just 1 or 2 tones play before the hard lock. I can almost make out the start of the beginning screen as well for about a frame or 2 as I first power on before the black screen.

It looks like my cartridge may actually be the issue. I've not just tested it on a 5th all stock AT84 7800 and it does the same thing as it does on all the others. However, I've now heard from at least one other member here in these forums that his cartridge is working properly on all of his 7800s he has tested including at least one that I've serviced for them. So it appears to be an isolated issue specific to my cartridge.

On 11/14/2021 at 7:01 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

It looks like my cartridge may actually be the issue. I've not just tested it on a 5th all stock AT84 7800 and it does the same thing as it does on all the others. However, I've now heard from at least one other member here in these forums that his cartridge is working properly on all of his 7800s he has tested including at least one that I've serviced for them. So it appears to be an isolated issue specific to my cartridge.

Hi CrossBow! What were you doing "skewering" Zarkstars on the 7800? Hehehe! ? Zarkstars was developed for the ATARI 2600... so connect the game to this console and enjoy! Practice and send high scores here... soon there will be a contest for all game owners. ??

On 11/12/2021 at 11:41 PM, adamchevy said:

I’m with you on that one.

Hi adamchevy!

Thanks for your interest in the game. I'm looking for a way to market the game in digital form. I will let you know as soon as I have the solution.

Cheers!

Leandro Camara

1 hour ago, HSW3ET said:

Hi CrossBow! What were you doing "skewering" Zarkstars on the 7800? Hehehe! ? Zarkstars was developed for the ATARI 2600... so connect the game to this console and enjoy! Practice and send high scores here... soon there will be a contest for all game owners. ??

Because my 7800 is what I play all of my other 2600 games on in addition to the 7800. As it plays both, I haven't had a need to actually put one of my 2600 systems in my game console rotation in the case for well over a decade if not longer. Honestly I'm surprised by this answer and the answer you have told to others asking about this.

But now that I now of at least one other person who purchased this game and has confirmed that it does work on at least 2 of their 7800s. I will find out soon whether I have a really bad luck set of four separate 7800s that won't play this game, or if perhaps it is actually the copy of my cartridge that is to blame for some reason? Because if that other Zarkstars arrives in the next few days and works, then I know it is my cartridge and I will likely want to talk to you further about that.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Because my 7800 is what I play all of my other 2600 games on in addition to the 7800. As it plays both, I haven't had a need to actually put one of my 2600 systems in my game console rotation in the case for well over a decade if not longer. Honestly I'm surprised by this answer and the answer you have told to others asking about this.

But now that I now of at least one other person who purchased this game and has confirmed that it does work on at least 2 of their 7800s. I will find out soon whether I have a really bad luck set of four separate 7800s that won't play this game, or if perhaps it is actually the copy of my cartridge that is to blame for some reason? Because if that other Zarkstars arrives in the next few days and works, then I know it is my cartridge and I will likely want to talk to you further about that.

Hi Jesse! Maybe my English isn't good at all and I've misexpressed myself, even though I'm using Google Translator to help me out. But the answer I gave you was with the best of intentions. I made the game for people to play and enjoy.
First of all, to repeat myself, the game was developed for the ATARI 2600 and if it's working perfectly on it, I don't know exactly what the problem is.
Anyway, I'm available to help you. You've written me privately before, you can go there if you prefer.
Wanting to return the game, feel free too. Write me privately and we'll resolve this easily.
Yours sincerely.
Leandro Camara

PS: I hope you correctly understand my English and the translation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HSW3ET said:

Anyway, I'm available to help you. You've written me privately before, you can go there if you prefer.
Wanting to return the game, feel free too. Write me privately and we'll resolve this easily.
Yours sincerely.
Leandro Camara

PS: I hope you correctly understand my English and the translation.

Thank you,

I actually have a copy of the game and a 7800 that is a working set headed my way to hopefully confirm and help identify what is going on. I suspect it is something with my cartridge for whatever reason and again should hope to confirm this over the next few days.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2021 at 2:43 PM, HSW3ET said:

Leandro,

I've sent you a PM with a link to a quick video I made last night from my phone showing the results of my cart and another one that was lent to me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Leandro,

I've sent you a PM with a link to a quick video I made last night from my phone showing the results of my cart and another one that was lent to me.

Answered! ?
Let's find a way to resolve this. ?

While we haven't solved it, please play a little bit with your cartridge (#74) on the 2600 to see how the game behaves... and that way I can also know your highest score! ?