IGNORED

ZΔRKSTΔRS - A Space Saga

HSW3ET

On 11/14/2021 at 2:40 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

I don't think so as I can see the game try and start as it will usually play a few notes of the starting tune and then hard lock to a black screen with a stuck tone. But the tone that gets stuck changes each time I attempt to load the game as does the number of notes that will play. Sometimes it will be like 4 or so and often just 1 or 2 tones play before the hard lock. I can almost make out the start of the beginning screen as well for about a frame or 2 as I first power on before the black screen.

I have the same exact issue on my 7800s. Going to get my 2600 out from storage this weekend to see if it'll work on it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kaboomer said:

I have the same exact issue on my 7800s. Going to get my 2600 out from storage this weekend to see if it'll work on it.

You are the first besides myself to report an issue with the game on their 7800. However there are copies of the game out there that will work on the 7800 as I just had one in my hands the other night. I'm going to guess that there are either two versions of the game that have been put to cart with one of them not working on 7800s or a few of them might have problem chips in them as we have seen in the past from time to time. What number did you request and when did you get yours? I requested #74 but I honestly don't know these were sent out in any kinda of numerical order. Likely they weren't...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

You are the first besides myself to report an issue with the game on their 7800. However there are copies of the game out there that will work on the 7800 as I just had one in my hands the other night. I'm going to guess that there are either two versions of the game that have been put to cart with one of them not working on 7800s or a few of them might have problem chips in them as we have seen in the past from time to time. What number did you request and when did you get yours? I requested #74 but I honestly don't know these were sent out in any kinda of numerical order. Likely they weren't...

Hi Jesse!
There are not two versions of the game that have been put on the cartridges, as there is no different version of the game.
All games were assembled with the same electronic components (from the same batches and manufacturers) and all memories were also recorded on the same day with the same source ROM, which is just one.
There is also no numerical order of assembly and they were all put into their boxes on the same day.
Ok? ??

Hi friends!

I will try to write as clear and simple as possible, as my English is terrible.
If you don't understand something. Please ask. Ok? ?

First, as I've always said, the game was made to run on the Atari 2600.
All cartridges have been tested one by one as carefully as possible and function correctly on this console.
I also made the game for people to play and enjoy. And I want to believe that's why people buy.

Second, as some of you start putting the cartridge into a 7800 device and testing the game, know that you are doing this at your own risk, as the game came to you working fine on the 2600.
I believe that even the game still works perfectly on the 2600, as it was designed for that.

So... I advise you not to use the cartridge as a "test subject" in your 7800, as you are doing this on your own now that the cartridge belongs to you.

I ask, please, that those who have not yet bought the cartridge and want to buy it to run on the 7800... not to buy it, as it was not made and designed for the 7800.
Buy it if you have a 2600 and want to play on it. Zarkstars is a 2600 game, as it says on its box and the rest of the stuff.

We had a situation with Jesse until yesterday, where only his cartridge did not respond to his 7800 devices. Now we have one more, is that it, or did I get it wrong? ?

The point is that I talked to a very thoughtful and kind user here at AtariAge and he said that some users are using a new BIOS on some of their 7800s.
They are changed BIOS (openbios), like new and shiny features, which I thought was a lot of fun for the 7800. ??

Well, I don't understand anything about this subject. And in my ignorance, I see that you are putting the cartridge in a device it was not designed for and probably with new BIOS (and I sincerely hope you are not ruining the game itself). ?
Know again that you are doing this at your own risk. So my advice is not to do these tests.

If anyone is dissatisfied with the purchase and wants to return it, I am available to try to help resolve the situation, as long as the situation is within the forecast, at the time of purchase.
Write me on the email where the sale was made [ zarkstarsgame@gmail.com ] so that I can organize it there. Ok? Appreciate! ??

I hope you understood my text. I apologize for my English, with the help of Google Translator and I'm sure we'll handle this without major problems. ?
Cheers from Brazil!
Leandro Camara

PS: I noticed that some words were awkward in the translation, but I think you will understand the context. ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I... don't even know where to start with this. So I'm going to state some facts.

First is that you are correct, I have a new BIOS that will soon be for sale for other 7800 users to enjoy in their consoles. It was thought that Zarkstars might not like this new BIOS. That is why I started testing some things. Here is what I found:

3 of the 4 consoles my game fails on had replacement BIOS in them. 2 with the new BIOS and 1 has an old DevOS 1.0 BIOS I installed back in the very early 2000s. None of those 3 have ever had any compatibility issues with games I've played or tested on them in the past until Zarkstars.

The 4th console does NOT belong to me and has already been sent back to its owner and as far as I know that owner does NOT own a copy of the game.

It wasn't confirmed that there is a problem with my cartridge of the game until another AA member here sent their copy of the game and their 7800 console to me to get other services done and to test their cartridge on my 7800s. Their cartridge works in the same 3 7800s that mine does NOT work in. If it were just one console I would call that a fluke. Two consoles...is bad luck. 3 consoles... that tells me there is something wrong or different in some way with my copy of the game. And that is why I asked in a PM to either get a replacement or if that isn't possible I guess I will have to try and get a refund now.

For as much as the game costs (And for a 2600 homebrew it is very pricey), it should have been tested in 7800s and if that wasn't possible, then that should have been made known upfront.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HSW3ET said:

All cartridges have been tested one by one as carefully as possible and function correctly on this console.
I also made the game for people to play and enjoy. And I want to believe that's why people buy.

Second, as some of you start putting the cartridge into a 7800 device and testing the game, know that you are doing this at your own risk, as the game came to you working fine on the 2600.
I believe that even the game still works perfectly on the 2600, as it was designed for that.

So... I advise you not to use the cartridge as a "test subject" in your 7800, as you are doing this on your own now that the cartridge belongs to you.

I ask, please, that those who have not yet bought the cartridge and want to buy it to run on the 7800... not to buy it, as it was not made and designed for the 7800.
Buy it if you have a 2600 and want to play on it. Zarkstars is a 2600 game, as it says on its box and the rest of the stuff.

The 7800 is an Atari product that was explicitly designed to play 2600 games.

There are many variants of the 2600. They're mostly compatible, but my understanding is that there are some slight differences electrically and at the physical cartridge slot. From the standpoint of 2600 game development and manufacturing, IMO the 7800 should be seen as one of these variants.

It would be one thing to say you can't guarantee it will work on every unlicensed 3rd-party knock-off — or with every aftermarket modification. But 2600 games should play on stock 7800 consoles.

EDIT: my copy works fine on my stock 7800.

• Like 1

I have a feeling that the language barrier here is the issue. I'm not sure if the point that people use the 7800 as a 2600 and that all 2600 games should work on it, is getting across. As far as the issue Crossbow is having, I understand it perfectly. His copy of  of the game has a problem. Another member's copy works in the systems his did not.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I... don't even know where to start with this. So I'm going to state some facts.

First is that you are correct, I have a new BIOS that will soon be for sale for other 7800 users to enjoy in their consoles. It was thought that Zarkstars might not like this new BIOS. That is why I started testing some things. Here is what I found:

3 of the 4 consoles my game fails on had replacement BIOS in them. 2 with the new BIOS and 1 has an old DevOS 1.0 BIOS I installed back in the very early 2000s. None of those 3 have ever had any compatibility issues with games I've played or tested on them in the past until Zarkstars.

The 4th console does NOT belong to me and has already been sent back to its owner and as far as I know that owner does NOT own a copy of the game.

It wasn't confirmed that there is a problem with my cartridge of the game until another AA member here sent their copy of the game and their 7800 console to me to get other services done and to test their cartridge on my 7800s. Their cartridge works in the same 3 7800s that mine does NOT work in. If it were just one console I would call that a fluke. Two consoles...is bad luck. 3 consoles... that tells me there is something wrong or different in some way with my copy of the game. And that is why I asked in a PM to either get a replacement or if that isn't possible I guess I will have to try and get a refund now.

For as much as the game costs (And for a 2600 homebrew it is very pricey), it should have been tested in 7800s and if that wasn't possible, then that should have been made known upfront.

Hi CrossBow.

About this: And that is why I asked in a PM to either get a replacement or if that isn't possible I guess I will have to try and get a refund now.
I already replied that I am available to resolve your cartridge problem. 
I also said that if you are unhappy, you can return the cartridge.
And we'll do it as best we can, unless you don't want to.

About this: For as much as the game costs (And for a 2600 homebrew it is very pricey), it should have been tested in 7800s and if that wasn't possible, then that should have been made known upfront.
Well, this is your opinion. I didn't force anyone to buy the game and I made it clear in all the materials that the game was made for the 2600.

But don't worry, we'll resolve the situation. I really don't want you to be dissatisfied. ?

5 hours ago, Pat Brady said:

The 7800 is an Atari product that was explicitly designed to play 2600 games.

There are many variants of the 2600. They're mostly compatible, but my understanding is that there are some slight differences electrically and at the physical cartridge slot. From the standpoint of 2600 game development and manufacturing, IMO the 7800 should be seen as one of these variants.

It would be one thing to say you can't guarantee it will work on every unlicensed 3rd-party knock-off — or with every aftermarket modification. But 2600 games should play on stock 7800 consoles.

EDIT: my copy works fine on my stock 7800.

Hi Pat Brady. Thanks for your answer. ?
I understand your opinion perfectly. ?

Cheers!

Leandro

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RamrodHare said:

I have a feeling that the language barrier here is the issue. I'm not sure if the point that people use the 7800 as a 2600 and that all 2600 games should work on it, is getting across. As far as the issue Crossbow is having, I understand it perfectly. His copy of  of the game has a problem. Another member's copy works in the systems his did not.  

Thank you for your answer too RamrodHare. ?
I think I understood perfectly what you meant, despite the language barrier. ?

Cheers!

Leandro

26 minutes ago, HSW3ET said:

Hi CrossBow.

About this: And that is why I asked in a PM to either get a replacement or if that isn't possible I guess I will have to try and get a refund now.
I already replied that I am available to resolve your cartridge problem. 
I also said that if you are unhappy, you can return the cartridge.
And we'll do it as best we can, unless you don't want to.

About this: For as much as the game costs (And for a 2600 homebrew it is very pricey), it should have been tested in 7800s and if that wasn't possible, then that should have been made known upfront.
Well, this is your opinion. I didn't force anyone to buy the game and I made it clear in all the materials that the game was made for the 2600.

But don't worry, we'll resolve the situation. I really don't want you to be dissatisfied. ?

I will take this up in PMs as this doesn't need to continue further in this thread.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Somewhere along the line someone had a bad day! Actually I don't think someone did anything intentional. The game was packed well and there was no damage. If someone had deliberately tried to crush the box it probably would have been enough to damage the contents and that was not the case here. 

Zarkbox03.thumb.jpg.7634868899ebc654400aa1d9eefdd939.jpg

Zarkbox02.thumb.jpg.14d4607567465a55d40825623249788c.jpg

Zarkbox01.thumb.jpg.c15d93811fd45f0c46c95c299b030a4b.jpg

• Sad 2

The box, label and etc. are very nice. The window cutout on the front and back of the box offer a different touch than I'm used to seeing which is good in my book. The overall presentation is solid and there is no doubt some time was put in doing the design. I do wish the manual was bilingual. The reason for this is I took the game with me to see family and the Internet is very limited. I only took the cart and manual. No Internet meant no manual for me. It really wasn't that big of a deal but I did want to find out about the "Continue" system of the game. See below on the continue system.

The game itself starts off difficult and stays that way. The second stage is easier than the first stage and is not what I would have preferred. The very small red obstacles, guessing missiles?,that are only a couple pixels wide are very annoying at times. Maybe I missed something with those things. Perfection is required too early in the game. On the flip side it was nice when I was able to finally get the pattern down enough to advance further and further. There should have been some way to change the difficultly so a person can at least have some training time before getting killed before even figuring out how to bring the force field down.

There might be a bug in the way the continue system is or it is a design/space limitation. After a few continues the game just stops. I have not counted the number of times before it stops but could try and replicate it. If there was a limit to the number of continues I did not see it in the manual online after returning home. 

Overall the game is still enjoyable and I'm glad to have bought it. The cost of the game was reasonable however the shipping these days is just crazy. Not blaming the developer on that part.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, discotronic said:

Somewhere along the line someone had a bad day! Actually I don't think someone did anything intentional. The game was packed well and there was no damage. If someone had deliberately tried to crush the box it probably would have been enough to damage the contents and that was not the case here.

Oh no! ?

Hi discotronic! How is the game box? Was it hit by the impact?
I'm noticing that regular shipments to the US by Post are suffering more than those by DHL. I'm still in doubt as to whether we can continue to ship to the US by Regular Mail. It's very frustrating when this happens because it's been packed so carefully. ?

I don't know how to solve this distance problem... ?

36 minutes ago, discotronic said:

The box, label and etc. are very nice. The window cutout on the front and back of the box offer a different touch than I'm used to seeing which is good in my book. The overall presentation is solid and there is no doubt some time was put in doing the design. I do wish the manual was bilingual. The reason for this is I took the game with me to see family and the Internet is very limited. I only took the cart and manual. No Internet meant no manual for me. It really wasn't that big of a deal but I did want to find out about the "Continue" system of the game. See below on the continue system.

The game itself starts off difficult and stays that way. The second stage is easier than the first stage and is not what I would have preferred. The very small red obstacles, guessing missiles?,that are only a couple pixels wide are very annoying at times. Maybe I missed something with those things. Perfection is required too early in the game. On the flip side it was nice when I was able to finally get the pattern down enough to advance further and further. There should have been some way to change the difficultly so a person can at least have some training time before getting killed before even figuring out how to bring the force field down.

There might be a bug in the way the continue system is or it is a design/space limitation. After a few continues the game just stops. I have not counted the number of times before it stops but could try and replicate it. If there was a limit to the number of continues I did not see it in the manual online after returning home. 

Overall the game is still enjoyable and I'm glad to have bought it. The cost of the game was reasonable however the shipping these days is just crazy. Not blaming the developer on that part.

Thank you for your words. ??

The question of Continue depends on where you died. If it is in the Force Fields there is no Continue. If you run out of fuel you can't use Continue either.
Is that what happened?

"You can activate Continue (Select Switch), as long as the spaceship's power hasn't run out or you haven't failed to get past one of the barriers. 3 ships will be added to your fleet, the score is reset and the Andromeda will not receive a full energy recharge to continue on the mission."

Maybe my translation is not very good on the site... all of you feel free if you want to help me with this on the site. Thanks!

Hi guys!
If you want to receive more information about the ZARKSTARS saga, stay tuned to my YouTube channel.
We will have news soon!

YouTube channel [ www.youtube.com/channel/UCLvNSMjqpS5GCBIepFOpl9g ]

ZΔRKSTΔRS I - A SPACE SAGA [ Short Video ] [ www.youtube.com/watch?v=otLszVNx-xs ]

ZΔRKSTΔRS II - GROUND FORCE
ZΔRKSTΔRS III - DEEP SPACE [ WIP ] [ www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z5ikjnRSbE ]

Edited by HSW3ET

On 11/19/2021 at 2:59 PM, HSW3ET said:

Hi friends!

I will try to write as clear and simple as possible, as my English is terrible.
If you don't understand something. Please ask. Ok? ?

We had a situation with Jesse until yesterday, where only his cartridge did not respond to his 7800 devices. Now we have one more, is that it, or did I get it wrong? ?

The point is that I talked to a very thoughtful and kind user here at AtariAge and he said that some users are using a new BIOS on some of their 7800s.
They are changed BIOS (openbios), like new and shiny features, which I thought was a lot of fun for the 7800. ??

Well, I don't understand anything about this subject. And in my ignorance, I see that you are putting the cartridge in a device it was not designed for and probably with new BIOS (and I sincerely hope you are not ruining the game itself). ?
Know again that you are doing this at your own risk. So my advice is not to do these tests.

If anyone is dissatisfied with the purchase and wants to return it, I am available to try to help resolve the situation, as long as the situation is within the forecast, at the time of purchase.
Write me on the email where the sale was made [ zarkstarsgame@gmail.com ] so that I can organize it there. Ok? Appreciate! ??

I hope you understood my text. I apologize for my English, with the help of Google Translator and I'm sure we'll handle this without major problems. ?
Cheers from Brazil!
Leandro Camara

PS: I noticed that some words were awkward in the translation, but I think you will understand the context. ?

Cool post! Love your game by the way.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2021 at 9:47 PM, HSW3ET said:

Thank you for your words. ??

The question of Continue depends on where you died. If it is in the Force Fields there is no Continue. If you run out of fuel you can't use Continue either.
Is that what happened?

"You can activate Continue (Select Switch), as long as the spaceship's power hasn't run out or you haven't failed to get past one of the barriers. 3 ships will be added to your fleet, the score is reset and the Andromeda will not receive a full energy recharge to continue on the mission."

Maybe my translation is not very good on the site... all of you feel free if you want to help me with this on the site. Thanks!

I haven't had a chance to dig in and play more but no doubt that is what I was experiencing. 

Also, the game box was not damaged at all. Just the outer shipping box. Will definitely choose the DHL option next time. 

• Like 1

ZeroPage Homebrew is debuting and exclusive video trailer reveal for ZΔRKSTΔRS I - A Space Saga on tomorrow's stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

(WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR BEST QUALITY)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to everyone who participated and watched the show.

For those who haven't watched the official ZΔRKSTΔRS I video premiere on the ZeroPage Homebrew channel, here's the link: ( www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1LKPOTOtKo#t=46m43s )

Also, watch James and Tanya being challenged by the game. :)
Thank you ZeroPage Homebrew!

Cheers!

Leandro Camara

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1