IGNORED

BPM Boy (by RetroNinja) - (in VCS Store)

justclaws

On 9/20/2022 at 11:51 PM, Tony Barnes said:

Yes, there are more levels, new hazards and enemies, music, tuning and some bug fixes.

New hazards and enemies, you say? 😧

Seriously, this is a great game! Even if it humbled me quite a bit. Thanks for the quick restart of a level, btw.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, stirrell said:

New hazards and enemies, you say? 😧

Seriously, this is a great game! Even if it humbled me quite a bit. Thanks for the quick restart of a level, btw.

Thanks for playing. I really need to take another look at the restart level code, to see if I can speed it up further, tbh. Trying to keep up with some of the top scores has me jamming on the restart button and even those 2.5sec gets long. 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
44 minutes ago, davpa said:

Picked up but can't put down, right?

To be completely honest all my time has gone into Atari 50 and Atari Mania so far. Also I didn't have the hard drive space to download it and just did it this morning onto my newly formatted USB stick. But it is next on the list for sure.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Picked the game up a couple of days ago! Great game that is very enjoyable! Only improvement I could think of is to optimize the frame rate for the first level. Iirc that one was a bit laggy for me compared to the rest.

Anyone know if there is any special ending if you get a 100% completion?

9 hours ago, SoyBoy said:

Picked the game up a couple of days ago! Great game that is very enjoyable! Only improvement I could think of is to optimize the frame rate for the first level. Iirc that one was a bit laggy for me compared to the rest.

Anyone know if there is any special ending if you get a 100% completion?

Thanks for the purchase, glad you're enjoying it.

Odd that you encounter any framerate issues, especially on the first level. I don't think it would be very professional / smart of me to put out a game that had framerate issues on the first level.  As a matter of fact, the first level is pushing less visible geometry than most levels and little-to-no AI.  If you go back and replay the level, do you still get framerate issues?

An update is coming that will provide more content, including something for people who 100%+ the game (which honestly, I didn't think people would do).  It will come out, post launch of my other game; PolyGunR.

• Like 1

I've never ran into any framerate issues myself with BPM Boy, the only thing i have noticed is that on the first level of the game the fan on the VCS seems to ramp up more than on any other level? Framerate doesn't budge though, but maybe the fan ramping up gives you the illusion of the framerate dipping and the VCS struggling. I think this game pushes the VCS to the limit so i wouldn't be surprised if the framerate does dip at some points but I've never noticed it.

On 4/18/2023 at 7:41 PM, Tony Barnes said:

Thanks for the purchase, glad you're enjoying it.

Odd that you encounter any framerate issues, especially on the first level. I don't think it would be very professional / smart of me to put out a game that had framerate issues on the first level.  As a matter of fact, the first level is pushing less visible geometry than most levels and little-to-no AI.  If you go back and replay the level, do you still get framerate issues?

An update is coming that will provide more content, including something for people who 100%+ the game (which honestly, I didn't think people would do).  It will come out, post launch of my other game; PolyGunR.

I tried to but was unable to replicate the frame rate issues on the first level again. It's possible that it only happened earlier because I was in a very long play session, started many different levels over many times and didn't turn off my console for a long time (I perhaps even left it on overnight one or two nights in a row?). The VCS fan struggled a lot when I had the bug and the game eventually crashed but this time around I experienced no issues. I'd say at normal use (not leaving your console on throughout the days and nights like the idiot I am) it probably won't reoccur again. Finished the game, currently at 105.97% completion (love how you can exceed the 100% just like in Donkey Kong Country series) and was able to steal two WRs (on level 10 and 13). All in all, it's a very solid and brilliant game with great replayability value, especially due to how well the mechanics open up great speedrunning opportunities. The game gets better the more you play it and it's hard to stop. I had a blast with it and it is already great value for the money even without more content. But can't wait for more! One thing I would suggest is to add the option to see the top times of the leaderboard for each time and not only those around you (being able to see the top times help a lot in knowing if there is a big short cut available on that particular stage 😃 ). Also, long term it would also be cool if there was some multiplayer element to the game, perhaps through mini games similiar to Super Money Ball or just some kind of extra version of some levels from the main game adjusted for two players in some way. Love the music as well, some of the tunes give me big Dreamcast nostalgia vibes. I'm often doubtful when buying indie games but this was right up my alley. I couldn't have been more happy with the purchase and I wish you great success with the game!

23 hours ago, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

I've never ran into any framerate issues myself with BPM Boy, the only thing i have noticed is that on the first level of the game the fan on the VCS seems to ramp up more than on any other level? Framerate doesn't budge though, but maybe the fan ramping up gives you the illusion of the framerate dipping and the VCS struggling. I think this game pushes the VCS to the limit so i wouldn't be surprised if the framerate does dip at some points but I've never noticed it.

That was the case as well, the fan struggled A LOT when it happened but I'm also sure that the frame rate dropped. I'm unable to replicate it now though. It's possible my VCS was just overheated or something at the time.

20 hours ago, SoyBoy said:

I tried to but was unable to replicate the frame rate issues on the first level again. It's possible that it only happened earlier because I was in a very long play session, started many different levels over many times and didn't turn off my console for a long time (I perhaps even left it on overnight one or two nights in a row?). The VCS fan struggled a lot when I had the bug and the game eventually crashed but this time around I experienced no issues. I'd say at normal use (not leaving your console on throughout the days and nights like the idiot I am) it probably won't reoccur again. Finished the game, currently at 105.97% completion (love how you can exceed the 100% just like in Donkey Kong Country series) and was able to steal two WRs (on level 10 and 13). All in all, it's a very solid and brilliant game with great replayability value, especially due to how well the mechanics open up great speedrunning opportunities. The game gets better the more you play it and it's hard to stop. I had a blast with it and it is already great value for the money even without more content. But can't wait for more! One thing I would suggest is to add the option to see the top times of the leaderboard for each time and not only those around you (being able to see the top times help a lot in knowing if there is a big short cut available on that particular stage 😃 ). Also, long term it would also be cool if there was some multiplayer element to the game, perhaps through mini games similiar to Super Money Ball or just some kind of extra version of some levels from the main game adjusted for two players in some way. Love the music as well, some of the tunes give me big Dreamcast nostalgia vibes. I'm often doubtful when buying indie games but this was right up my alley. I couldn't have been more happy with the purchase and I wish you great success with the game!

That was the case as well, the fan struggled A LOT when it happened but I'm also sure that the frame rate dropped. I'm unable to replicate it now though. It's possible my VCS was just overheated or something at the time.

I suspect there's some sort of shader compiling going on, which could indeed kick the fans up as it tries to do it as fast as it can.  I'll have to look into that, if I can figure out how to blitz the shader cache on the VCS and try from a clean slate.