Rev

Finally some positive Amico words from Kotaku!

NoBuyGames.thumb.jpg.e63e36faa2089462dba1bab3794b0272.jpg

You can NO BUY GAMES!!!

😁

Hmm... overpriced android console... giant scam... horrible for the environment.... defeats the main purpose of physical media...

our ideas of "warming up to it" seem to differ slightly.

They did kinda touch on something that I've thought as well, but never really mentioned it because I'm mostly ignorant -- why the choice of NFT, which, if I understand the headlines for articles that I never read (see, ignorance) are horrible for the environment, when they seem so proud of the fact they use earth friendly, recycled (recyclable, maybe) material?  Seems about as sincere as those guys who fly a private plane halfway around the world to deliver some sort of "save the planet" lecture.  Or maybe they aren't proud of it, and I'm getting confused with what others say.  I dunno... see... ignorance.

4 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

NoBuyGames.thumb.jpg.e63e36faa2089462dba1bab3794b0272.jpg

You can NO BUY GAMES!!!

😁

They did kinda touch on something that I've thought as well, but never really mentioned it because I'm mostly ignorant -- why the choice of NFT, which, if I understand the headlines for articles that I never read (see, ignorance) are horrible for the environment, when they seem so proud of the fact they use earth friendly, recycled (recyclable, maybe) material?  Seems about as sincere as those guys who fly a private plane halfway around the world to deliver some sort of "save the planet" lecture.  Or maybe they aren't proud of it, and I'm getting confused with what others say.  I dunno... see... ignorance.

I think they're using NFT to use a buzz word and to seem cutting edge when the system is otherwise outdated and underpowered.  However,  the practical benefit of it is as a way to assign and reassign ownership of a digital asset.  There's other ways of doing that but like I said it's a current trend and it may have less overhead as opposed to traditional centralized accounts. 

I doubt they care much about the the environment though I think the damage done to the environment through NFTs is overstated.  I'd say the recycled material is cheaper than an old school traditional case. 

I don't see the term NFT used once on the Amico web page used to describe their boxed game editions or on the order page, nor have I seen it on the product packaging. (It is mentioned in their email to their followers and their video).  I doubt they implemented NFT to help market these things.  While transferring digital games could be facilitated through the manufacturer without NFT, people want that control for themselves.

Edit:  And this writer is obviously not warming up to Amico.  The article has plenty of his opinions; and misinformation, again.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mr_me said:

Edit:  And this writer is obviously not warming up to Amico.  The article has plenty of his opinions; and misinformation, again.

It's definitely an opinion piece, and either they no longer even bother caring about proper journalism, or simply don't understand what that means, but --- where's the misinformation?

It's loaded with negative opinions that we may or may not agree with, but all the info provided seems right, unless you're digging into all the links to look into the other articles.

• Like 1

Definitely some opinions and misinformation in there.  Still, I think the article's main point is to highlight the fact that we have 'physical' media for a console that isn't even out yet, which is a little peculiar no matter how you slice it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Razzie.P said:

It's definitely an opinion piece, and either they no longer even bother caring about proper journalism, or simply don't understand what that means, but --- where's the misinformation?

It's loaded with negative opinions that we may or may not agree with, but all the info provided seems right, unless you're digging into all the links to look into the other articles.

"even before the console has shipped to backers", the project isn't backed by preorder deposits.

"limited-time bundles", limited in quantity not time

"The console is ... an Android console", although Android based like it says earlier in the article people might be disappointed that it doesn't run Android APK apps like other Android TV devices.

"will feature a lot of ported over mobile games", of the thirty plus Amico games shown, only three or four are ported from IOS or Android

"that does seem to defeat one of the main purposes of physical media, which is the ability to have access to games even after servers shut down or digital stores close"  we don't have all the information to say you don't have access to games without their store/servers, lots of options possible.

"NFTs are a giant scam", why can't there be legitimate applications of NFT?

Take the media with a box of salt. Not a grain but the entire box. All the major media outlets are going to go for the big brands with the big money. Most of their ad space that pays their bills are from Sony, MS, Nintendo, EA and such. Intellivision isn't that, so to them, the fact that it's in their consciousness can help get the word out that at least it exists so people can search it. Most people I know don't even know what an Amico or an NFT is. 

Truth is that people are going to say whatever they're going to say. The ball truly is in Tommy's court. Intellivision has to deliver once we get past the shortages. If it doesn't, everyone's going to point out the negative and ignore the positive. What's the saying? Do 1,000 good deeds but make 1 mistake and everyone will only remember that 1 mistake.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, SegaMasterSystemPunk said:

Why do people even read Kotaku? It's politicized crap. 

yeah, they are tree huggers!

21 hours ago, mr_me said:

I don't see the term NFT used once on the Amico web page used to describe their boxed game editions or on the order page, nor have I seen it on the product packaging. (It is mentioned in their email to their followers and their video).  I doubt they implemented NFT to help market these things.  While transferring digital games could be facilitated through the manufacturer without NFT, people want that control for themselves.

It's not on the box or order page as to not scare off casuals or tech illiterates but like you said it was mentioned in the video and I'm sure it will be mentioned many more times in posts from Tommy and videos. Then they hope the media will mention it too.  I already see NFT dominating headlines about the Amico physical game reveal. It's definitely a part of their marketing and something they're going to hype up as being unique to Amico. 

This all depends on the reason NFT is implemented.  Is it just to have a buzzword to seem cutting edge as has been suggested here.  Or is the reason to help solve a practical problem of secure decentralised authentication.

So let me get this straight. Intellivision/Amico is selling codes to games that are not complete and are supposed to be downloadable from a non-existent server. Am I correct in that?

These are not physical games. A real physical game means the game is stored on some sort of interchangeable media, like a ROM-based cartridge or CD/DVD, tape or diskette.. Type-ins and punch cards for the oldsters.

This NFT crap is a key to connect to a download server. A server that may or may not be around years from now. And it's overcomplicated. And each transaction costs hundreds of kilowatts of energy. Not an environmentalist or tree-hugger - I dump my garbage anywhere and everywhere. But that amount of consumption is just ridiculous. And keeping those servers rolling cost $$$ too.

This NFT nonsense is an additional layer of complexity. Heady nonsense. Why not a simple traditional cartridge? Physical semiconductor memory is beyond dirt cheap today.

And you know.. The more "collector stuff" that's produced the more the whole scene is diluted.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Keatah said:

This NFT crap is a key to connect to a download server. ...

It's an Rfid card that triggers game download.  Not sure of the exact mechanism with NFT but there's no need to be aware of NFT for this to happen.  Older NFT blockchain technology used unsustainable amounts of compute resources to process transactions.  The newer methods are infinitely more efficient.

There are more than eight games complete according to IE; not sure which ones.  The only one from this set not played at live events is Brain Duel.  Servers exist, everything is functional according to witnesses.

Edited by mr_me

3 hours ago, Keatah said:

These are not physical games. A real physical game means the game is stored on some sort of interchangeable media, like a ROM-based cartridge or CD/DVD, tape or diskette.. Type-ins and punch cards for the oldsters.

Makes one appreciate what Blaze Entertainment is doing with the Evercade and/or what other console manufactures are still doing (to some extent), though the tide is turning away from physical media.

7 minutes ago, Hwlngmad said:

Makes one appreciate what Blaze Entertainment is doing with the Evercade and/or what other console manufactures are still doing (to some extent), though the tide is turning away from physical media.

Current gen: I have a switch, with zero plans to get the Ps5 or xbox. Their discs are glorified key cards. 

• Like 2

Just now, Rev said:

Current gen: I have a switch, with zero plans to get the Ps5 or xbox. Their discs are glorified key cards. 

Very true regarding the Playstation and Xbox.  Not as much regarding the Switch.  Still, proof is out there that true physical media is still possible and/or viable.

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

The only one from this set not played at live events is Brain Duel.

And that's the game I'm most interested in! If Intellivision is serious about this game, it could become the system seller for casual gamers.

33 minutes ago, Rev said:

Even if there are a bunch of patches there is at least game data on the media. 

5 minutes ago, jbrodack said:

Even if there are a bunch of patches there is at least game data on the media. 

If internet is required to play a game on any disc (or cartridge) based system, then its truly not physical media IMO.  

Can i pop in a ps5 or new Xbox disc with no internet and play the game? 

3 minutes ago, Rev said:

If internet is required to play a game on any disc (or cartridge) based system, then its truly not physical media IMO.  

Can i pop in a ps5 or new Xbox disc with no internet and play the game? 

Good question. I have a new PS5 game I haven't even opened yet just sitting nearby. I would be happy to try this as an experiment?

5 hours ago, mr_me said:

This all depends on the reason NFT is implemented.  Is it just to have a buzzword to seem cutting edge as has been suggested here.  Or is the reason to help solve a practical problem of secure decentralised authentication.

Just a buzzword. There's absolutely no need for an NFT since the servers you have to download the game from are still stuck to Intellivision.

3 minutes ago, SegaMasterSystemPunk said:

Just a buzzword. There's absolutely no need for an NFT since the servers you have to download the game from are still stuck to Intellivision.

We don't know this.  There could be alternative download locations.  And if I can back-up the game file myself, I won't need the server again.

31 minutes ago, Papy said:

And that's the game I'm most interested in! If Intellivision is serious about this game, it could become the system seller for casual gamers.

Probably, similar to other brain puzzles that's been around for years, except multiplayer.

17 minutes ago, mr_me said:

We don't know this.  There could be alternative download locations.  And if I can back-up the game file myself, I won't need the server again.

Probably, similar to other brain puzzles that's been around for years, except multiplayer.

Who's going to supply us with alternative download locations, you mean? 

Is the validation of the NFT token happening on the console side? That'd be the only way I could see for this to actually contribute anything meaningful. But that contradicts what was said in the presentation of the physical me... Products. There they said that we (as in, Intellivision) will be tracking the games on the blockchain. As long as it's them doing that centrally, it's just a gimmick that doesn't do anything useful at all.

Edited by SegaMasterSystemPunk