IGNORED

Anyone knows how to obtain/buy/get the homebrew ATARIBLAST?

Giles N

Nope - I don't have a 5200 console - though I do have two 5200 carts of Scramble, courtesy of Albert.  Someone else will say - Just buy the Atarimax Ultimate SD Multicart for around $140 and you should easily find the download file for AtariBlast!, along with other homebrews you are missing plus all the other 5200 games you haven't yet collected/played.

Harvey

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, kiwilove said:

Just buy the Atarimax Ultimate SD Multicart for around $140 and you should easily find the download file for AtariBlast!, along with other homebrews you are missing plus all the other 5200 games you haven't yet collected/played.

Due to the game size, doesn't it require the Atarimax Ultimate anyway in order to play? I think I have it on my AMax Ultimate but would have to check.

Confirmed that this is an AtariMax required game as it is one of the few .HTB games on my AMax. It is a hybrid and quite large requiring two files with the HYB being the actual file you run and it has a .dat file containing the rest of the game assets. 

Anyway, I played it last night on a 5200 I'm currently working on for about an hour and got much further in it than I got when I last played it. Very impressive game overall in that sorta 'controlled chaos' kind of way.

3 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Confirmed that this is an AtariMax required game as it is one of the few .HTB games on my AMax. It is a hybrid and quite large requiring two files with the HYB being the actual file you run and it has a .dat file containing the rest of the game assets. 

Anyway, I played it last night on a 5200 I'm currently working on for about an hour and got much further in it than I got when I last played it. Very impressive game overall in that sorta 'controlled chaos' kind of way.

But is this a game that couldn’t be put on an individual 5200-cart, even if had inbuilt extra mem., or is it ‘just’ that no-one produces such carts…?

16 minutes ago, XLurker said:

The original question asked by Giles N. "Anyone knows how to obtain/buy/get the homebrew ATARIBLAST?" has not been answered. I diligently searched the web trying to find the Atari 5200 version of Atariblast!, ROM or cartridge, and they are nowhere to be found!

I think you'll find that the question was answered earlier in the thread:

23 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

In other words: on a 5200, it requires being run from an Atarimax cartridge.

It's apparent that "it requires being run from an Atarimax cartridge". I have an AtariMax but the Atariblast! ROM is not included. The non-answer of "Confirmed that this is an AtariMax required game as it is one of the few .HTB games on my AMax. It is a hybrid and quite large requiring two files with the HYB being the actual file you run and it has a .dat file containing the rest of the game assets", still gives no clue to anyone as to how to find the ROM. So no, I don't think I'll find that the question was answered earlier in the thread. It might be on your AMax but It's not on mine and the ROM is nowhere to be found.

1 hour ago, XLurker said:

It's apparent that "it requires being run from an Atarimax cartridge". I have an AtariMax but the Atariblast! ROM is not included. The non-answer of "Confirmed that this is an AtariMax required game as it is one of the few .HTB games on my AMax. It is a hybrid and quite large requiring two files with the HYB being the actual file you run and it has a .dat file containing the rest of the game assets", still gives no clue to anyone as to how to find the ROM. So no, I don't think I'll find that the question was answered earlier in the thread. It might be on your AMax but It's not on mine and the ROM is nowhere to be found.

Look,

I honestly don't recall how I got the files but I'm pretty sure they would have been posted on these very forums at the time I got it. If it is no longer to be found within these forums or anywhere else online, then I have to assume there is a reason for it and I'm not going to post the files or provide them.

*UPDATE* try doing a forum search for the game or its development name GTIABlast! and see what you find?

Finally, found on 2 different past posts referencing GTIABLAST!, not Atariblast!. Here are the .HYB file and the .bin/.car /.atr files. I Downloaded both onto my Atarimax, clicked on the .HYB file and it plays very nicely. 

P.S. Thanks for you assistance Crossbow. This is a difficult game to find.

ab5200.zip ab_070114.zip

Edited by XLurker
typo

34 minutes ago, XLurker said:

Finally, found on 2 different past posts referencing GTIABLAST!, not Atariblast!. Here are the .HYB file and the .bin/.car /.atr files. I Downloaded both onto my Atarimax, clicked on the .HYB file and it plays very nicely. 

ab5200.zip 97.3 kB · 0 downloads   ab_070114.zip 298.69 kB · 0 downloads

Actually I found the original reference to GTIABlast! doing a forum search for Atariblast! So yes... using the search functions would have gotten you the results you were looking for.

I found GTIABLAST! as well on my 1st search, but not everyone is going to know that it is the same game as Atariblast! or require cross refencing from different topics to find. This post started on Tues. The 1st mention of GTIAblast! wasn't made until now, 3 days later, but better late than never.

@XLurker: Please use the quote function when replying; it's difficult to tell who or what you are responding to when your replies have no context.  With that out of the way:

It's apparent that "it requires being run from an Atarimax cartridge". I have an AtariMax but the Atariblast! ROM is not included.

That you have an Atarimax but not the Atariblast! ROM wasn't apparent from any of your earlier posts.  This would have been useful information for anyone trying to help you to have, since there's no good way for us to read your mind and determine what you may or may not own.  Furthermore:

2 hours ago, XLurker said:

I diligently searched the web trying to find the Atari 5200 version of Atariblast!, ROM or cartridge, and they are nowhere to be found!

Emphasis above is mine.  You explicitly asked for a cartridge version, which doesn't exist.  If this garnered replies that weren't what you expected, phrasing your questions more accurately would help with getting you the information you actually want.

So no, I don't think I'll find that the question was answered earlier in the thread.

Wrong.  The question that you asked was answered.  Apparently, that's different from the question that you should have asked.  Can't hold anyone responsible for their replies if what you're asking isn't clear from the outset.

20 minutes ago, XLurker said:

I found GTIABLAST! as well on my 1st search, but not everyone is going to know that it is the same game as Atariblast! or require cross refencing from different topics to find.

Again, information that you did not provide to the people trying to help you.

20 minutes ago, XLurker said:

This post started on Tues. The 1st mention of GTIAblast! wasn't made until now, 3 days later, but better late than never.

But you sat on that information for how long before we reached this point?

Look, you're new here.  That's fine; everyone starts somewhere.  But nobody can give you the answers that you're looking for unless you ask clear, concise questions to begin with.  Chalk this up to a learning experience, and let's move on.

36 minutes ago, XLurker said:

I found GTIABLAST! as well on my 1st search, but not everyone is going to know that it is the same game as Atariblast! or require cross refencing from different topics to find. This post started on Tues. The 1st mention of GTIAblast! wasn't made until now, 3 days later, but better late than never.

Not sure about your browser you are using or the theme for the site you are using, but literally when I do a search for the word atariblast and check the option for this forum. I not only see the header for the original topic that says GTIABlast! in it, but it also highlights the word atariblast that is also referenced in that thread. So yes the word 'atariblast' does indeed come up in the search and take me to the thread that talks about it. 

The point being that regardless, a simple search would have gotten you what you were looking for had some reading within the searches that came up have been done.

And with that out of the way... here is the summary of this thread:

- The game requires the AMax Ultimate as it requires the AMax's ability to stream data from the SD card similar to a few other demos/programs that exist

- The game is too large to fit on any currently designed cartridge so it can only be played through the AMax Ultimate SD cartridge

- At last check in the thread, it appears the game will not work in emulation either to the best of my knowledge

- The game exists and the latest version of it in zip format is found in these very forums with a little bit of searching

If finding the .bin/.car/.atr files in one post and the .HYB file in another is a simple search to you, then you are a greater man then I, Gunga Din. This thread has gone on for over 3 days with no resolution until now. Did your posts on this thread help the OP to find this game? I think not... 

26 minutes ago, XLurker said:

If finding the .bin/.car/.atr files in one post and the .HYB file in another is a simple search to you, then you are a greater man then I, Gunga Din. This thread has gone on for over 3 days with no resolution until now. Did your posts on this thread help the OP to find this game? I think not... 

i learned that I needed to get an AtariMax or specially designed cart to run it (as thing no-one seems to be into for the moment), and I was wondering also play on real hardware.

I was grateful for the input I got initially.

I will need an AtariMax to play it oldschooly.

And its good to see the different ROMs, so lonely, so forgotten and ignored, now reemerge from dark dusty digital shelves of long-unused AtariAge posts dwelling right there on the treshhold of collective retrogaming-amnesia… that very shrouded mist from which only the most hardy of retrogames have ever returned from.

But, hey, now they’re here and all’s cool! ?

Chill and thanks!!

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 2

On 10/15/2021 at 7:14 AM, Giles N said:

But is this a game that couldn’t be put on an individual 5200-cart, even if had inbuilt extra mem., or is it ‘just’ that no-one produces such carts…?

Just ignore the above quote - I couldn't erase it since I  started a reply I didn't want to send.

Some general info.

Development on GTIABlast! started in 2012 and was finished late in 2016.  The 5200 and Atari 8-bit versions are virtually identical.  While the 5200 version can't run via emulation, there are no problems with the 8-bit version running under emulation.  Altirra works fine, and so does Colleen.

As has been pointed out - you need the Atarimax 5200 SD Ultimate Multicart to run the 5200 version of AtariBlast!.  Likewise with the 8-bit Atari version - you just need a suitable 8mbit cart.  Plus for those with extended memory (I think it is 1088K) there is a special version for that available but with this version, the whole game has to load in first, before playing.  One upside to the 8mbit cart version - is that it'll run on a 16K Atari 400 without any problems.

So 5 or less years ago - you would have found the download for it - pretty easily?  Anyone use to doing a basic search may have found it after about 5 mins and learnt some history about it?

Harvey

• Like 1

I'm not sure about the 5200 version of AtariBlast! posted earlier in this thread because it only seems to be a .hyb file, it should be a .hyb and a .dat file.

The final 5200 version (with the updated music) can be downloaded from:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/217200-something-new-gtiablast-5200-wip-for-ultimate-sd-cart/?do=findComment&comment=3612319

More recently there was a thread about where to obtain 5200 homebrews and conversions. I posted a .zip file of everything I'd done which included AtariBlast!:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/321728-5200-homebrew-roms-and-conversions/?do=findComment&comment=4857195

What the 5200 needs is for someone to maintain an archive list/rom pack like @Trebor does for the 7800. I also vaguely remember there being plans for an AtariAge homebrew database at some point.

• Like 3

On 10/14/2021 at 7:14 PM, Giles N said:

As Harvey mentioned, one of the A8 versions runs as a 8mbit/1024K cart. Had there been a 1024K cart for the 5200 I would have targeted that. As there wasn't, it was a choice of having less levels in a 512K cart or using the programming API in the Atarimax Ultimate SD to load the data off the SD card for each level individually.

8 hours ago, Giles N said:

And its good to see the different ROMs, so lonely, so forgotten and ignored, now reemerge from dark dusty digital shelves of long-unused AtariAge posts dwelling right there on the treshhold of collective retrogaming-amnesia… that very shrouded mist from which only the most hardy of retrogames have ever returned from.

It had it's day in the sun and was enjoying it's retirement. Nothing wrong with that.

• Like 2