IGNORED

Monthly Gaming Quiz: can you guess the games based on tiny screenshots?

Mr_Horizon

On 2/3/2022 at 2:17 PM, jgkspsx said:

Wait, are we allowed to try to figure these out with Google Image Search? I thought we could only do ones we knew off the top of our heads…

I am pretty sure the people who get all of them are using a web search.  There is no way those people would know all of those games every single month.

• Like 2

On 2/3/2022 at 9:17 PM, jgkspsx said:

Wait, are we allowed to try to figure these out with Google Image Search? I thought we could only do ones we knew off the top of our heads…

I don't see much sense in having a rule I can't enforce anyway. If I could magically make everyone not use the internet for help, the quiz would be a lot easier. ;) The only thing I do not want anybody to do is to "crowdsource" the answers by posting the quiz elsewhere (example 1, example 2). It has happened before and I will find out. ;) 

You will get several posts with hints each month, so I hope the difficulty will adjust itself a little bit.

• Thanks 1

February Quiz - Clues #1

Listen up, here's some lunch.... and clues! :) The first quiz of the year is running and over thirty players are already participating. This round we have more complaints about omitted genre representatives than usual, so before we get to the clues, let me name three cooking games mentioned by fellow players that are definitely not in this month: Pressure Cooker, Ore no Ryouri, Po'ed

So, now clues #1:

1) The 1 and 7 are point & click adventures of the late 80s that are considered genre classics. The 11 is also one, but less old & classic.
2) In game 5 you don't just design pizza, organised crime is also an integral part of the gameplay.
3) Games 8, 14 and 20 are games based on movies or TV series.
4) Game 9 is a twelve-letter Japan-only platformer that has appeared almost exclusively on Sony consoles (stationary+handheld).

Deadline is Monday 28 February, enter via http://www.retrogamequiz.com/

Here's the quiz again, bon appétit:
https://i.imgur.com/STFWl0E.png

• Thanks 1

February Quiz - Clues #2

Forty cooks are already hanging around these video game kitchens (one from here), let's see what comes out of the oven in the end! Granted, I hope quite a few more people join in the remaining ten days. :) More than half of the month is over, and soon we'll be serving - are you with us?

Here are the clues #2:

1) Number 10 is a VR game where you act out different professions.
2) Title 13 is thematically the furthest from "cooking" - a racing game! 
3) The sixth picture shows a survival game, already the name indicates that cooking is important.
4) Game 15 is a well-known free to play MMORPG.

Deadline is Monday 28th February, participation via http://www.retrogamequiz.com/.

Here's the quiz again, enjoy: link

Edited by Mr_Horizon

February Quiz - Clues #3

I have a message for all the top chefs gathered here - the menu must be ready by Monday evening! So you only have this weekend left.

At the moment there are just under sixty people, but only two of them from this forum. I hope there'll be more players, come out of hibernation - even with less than twenty points you'll make it into the top 10. :)

So @BydoEmpire and @neogeo1982 - how about it? ;)

To make this round more palatable for you, here are the clues #3:

1) In game 17 you control a kitchen robot, it only appeared on Commodore computers.
2) There is no dinner bubbling in the cooking pot of 19, instead you mix up magic potions.
3) Titles 4 and 12 come from the arcades of the early 80s and were then ported to many other systems.
4) The number 18 is a cooking game from 2019 for all current modern systems.

Deadline is Monday 28 February, enter via http://www.retrogamequiz.com/

Here's the quiz one last time: https://i.imgur.com/STFWl0E.png

Edited by Mr_Horizon

3beygJk.gif

February Quiz - Answers & Score

What a reception, with 108 guests it's no longer just a dinner but a real feast instead! :D Usually each quiz season starts off a bit sluggish, but with over a hundred players this round was really well attended.

Maybe it's also because of the new forums? :) With the Rocket Beans, the Shmups Forum and the World of Players community there are three new entries in 2022 - in addition, the "lastgamestanding" has moved to join the new "Wasted" gaming page. Welcome all!

Here are the answers... first the names of the games as text, then the pictures, then the high score.

1) Maniac Mansion
Answer rate: 88%
Other suggestions: Friday the 13th, Monkey Island, Thimbleweed Park, Zack McKracken.

2) Overcooked.
The easiest title of this round!
Answer rate: 91%
Other suggestions: Animal Crossing

3) Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Answer rate: 81%
Other suggestions: God Of War, Monster Hunter Tri, Valheim

4) Burger Time
Here you can see the C64 version of this classic.
Answer rate: 81%
Other suggestions: Cook Race

5) Pizza Connection / Tycoon
Answer rate: 83%
Other suggestions: Club Penguin, Cooking Mama, GTA Chinatown Wars, Pizza Maker.

6) Don't Starve
A striking graphic style makes this game easy to guess, even if you haven't played it yourself.
Answer rate: 77%
Other suggestions: -

7) Zak McKracken.
The protagonist in his kitchen.
Answer rate: 68%
Other suggestions: leisure suit larry, Maniac Mansion, Police Quest 2, The life of Ray McDonald.

8.) Deep Space Nine - Crossroads of Time
Answer rate: 66%
Other suggestions: Ministry of Broadcast, Streets of Rage

9) Kitchen Panic
Japan-only potato platformer, not as well known as I thought.
Answer rate: 36%
Other suggestions: Chuckie Egg, Dizzy, Hot Potato!, Potato, Potato Head, Potato Game, Potato Simulator, Spud Danger.

10) Job Simulator
A fun virtual reality romp - but I feel bad, "cooking simulator" would have been a much better choice for this quiz.
Answer rate: 64%
Other suggestions: 9x Cooking Simulator, Glover, The cooking game VR.

11) Chewy: Esc from F5.
I thought these characters would be hard to forget - but probably a lot of people have just never seen the game.
Answer rate: 22%
Other suggestions: 9x Leisure Suit Harry, 7x day of the tentacle, Escape from Monkey Island, normality, Orion Burger

12) Food Fight
Answer rate: 48%
Other suggestions: The Fruit Cook, Peter Pepper's Ice Cream Factory, Superstar Chefs.

13) Micro Machines 2
This is not a real ingame screenshot, but photoshopped - I removed all the cars to have only toast+coffee. ;)
Answer rate: 68%

Other suggestions: Professor Layton

14) the three Stooges
Answer rate: 62%
Other suggestions: 3x Monkey Island, Leisure Suit Larry, iron chef, Coffee Talk, 4 Fists for One Hallelujah

15) Guild Wars 2
Answer rate: 32%
Other suggestions: 3x Black Desert, 3x World of Warcraft, Runescape, Conan, Elder Scrolls Online, Skyrim, Fable, League of Legends, Neverwinter, Oblivion

16) Coffee Talk
Answer rate: 61%
Other suggestions: Necrobarista, Barista Life OMG

17) the big deal
Played it as a kid and never figured out what to do.
Solving rate: 40%
Other suggestions: Epic Chef, Lemmon, Lemon

18.) Brunch Club
The user EarthPainting gets a mercy point for "Crunch Club". ;)
Answer rate: 24%
Other suggestions: 3x cooking simulator, Alice in Wonderland, Art of Balance, "Cook, Serve, Delicious", Cooking Madness, Epic Chef, Crunch Club

19) Witchtastic
This came out last year, seems like it was inspired by Overcooked, along with #24 the most difficult title in this round.
Solving rate: 9%
Other suggestions: A Bards Tale, Alchemist Simulator, Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk, Harry Potter, the sims 4, Witch It.

20) Elvira: Mistress of the Dark
Answer rate: 25%
Other suggestions: Addams Family, Harry Potter, Lord of the rings, Prince of Persia, Robin Hood Prince of Thieves, Simon The Sorcerer, Ultima, Zelda Wand of Gamelon.

21) VA-11 Hall-A
I hate this name! And no, "red strings club" is the other sci-fi barkeeper game. ;)
Answer rate: 59%
Other suggestions: Coctail Cuppo, Death Road to Canada, The Red Strings Club.

22) the Supper
Answer rate: 25%
Other suggestions: Dead Cells, Graveyard Keeper, Rayman Legends, Secret of Monkey Island, Toonstruck, Soup - The Game.

23) Dungeon Munchies
Answer rate: 16%
Other suggestions: Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Battle Chef Brigade, Cuphead, Dragons Lair.

24) Tavern Master
A restaurant manager with a boring look, perfect for a mean puzzle entry ;)
Answer rate: 9%
Other suggestions: Alone in the Dark, Asterix and Obelix: Slap Them All, Bobby Cooks at Home, Ečstatica, The Settlers, The Sims, World of Warcraft.

25) Fast Food
Answer rate: 20%
Other suggestions: Aghata Christie, Day of the Tentacle.

Here is the quiz image again:
STFWl0E.png

Answer image:
aSnexYt.png
Direct link: https://i.imgur.com/aSnexYt.png

HIGH SCORE TABLE

01 - 25 points - mnc - Mangamaniac2171
01 - 25 points - rta - marek
01 - 25 points - hcg - excelsior
01 - 25 points - spz - The_BACH
01 - 25 points - rtc - Antiriad2097
06 - 24 points - spz - Striderblade
07 - 24 points - mnc - Gerhard S.
08 - 24 points - ntl - lifer
09 - 23 points - rpg - Calastellio
10 - 23 points - gsg - TheLastToKnow

11 - 23 points - rta - EarthPainting
12 - 22 points - gsg - partykiller
13 - 22 points - mnc - Dream-Team
14 - 22 points - eab - Nobby_UK
15 - 22 points - rpg - Dezue
16 - 21 points - mtc - Parsnip
17 - 21 points - rta - malus
18 - 20 points - mtc - Valdien
19 - 20 points - gav - Wizdom
20 - 20 points - eab - Havie
21 - 19 points - sh2 - Gatar
22 - 19 points - rta - Qwark
23 - 18 points - rta - Illusionary
24 - 18 points - mmx - fedprod
25 - 17 points - mmx - Knuckles
26 - 17 points - gms - kopyright
27 - 17 points - eab - darkwave
28 - 16 points - hcg - teroknor
29 - 16 points - rta - Roarer
30 - 16 points - ata - jgkspsx
31 - 16 points - rta - aLaxLuthor
32 - 16 points - eab - gimbal
33 - 16 points - rtc - ElginMcQueen
34 - 15 points - eab - mailman
35 - 15 points - mmx - LittleChoco
36 - 15 points - can - Franky Mikey
37 - 15 points - hcg - personman
38 - 15 points - hcg - windfisch
39 - 15 points - sh2 - FoxSpitzer
40 - 15 points - mnc - elementalMaster
41 - 15 points - mtc - Wibblewozzer
42 - 15 points - rta - Nihilistic Monk
43 - 14 points - mtc - FunnyJay
44 - 14 points - hcg - dsparil
45 - 13 points - sh2 - godzella
46 - 13 points - ftg - Lurker
47 - 13 points - nto - Lockenvogel
48 - 13 points - can - M.Rick75
49 - 13 points - can - Kulfy
50 - 13 points - pop - Don Como
51 - 12 points - gms - hellermarie
52 - 12 points - hcg - Woody Alien
53 - 12 points - m!g - Red XIII
54 - 12 points - sh2 - Vino
55 - 12 points - gpo - DocMoody
56 - 11 points - mmx - Lynx
57 - 11 points - wtd - Rossyrg
58 - 11 points - mmx - Klunky
59 - 11 points - gpo - rave
60 - 11 points - wtd - Credit00
61 - 11 points - can - Dark Kariya
62 - 11 points - m!g - geohound
63 - 11 points - gpo - Eddie 
64 - 11 points - rkb - kirika1987
65 - 10 points - wtd - kristheb
66 - 10 points - mmx - Dnamei
67 - 10 points - mnc - HomiSite
68 - 10 points - rtc - Markopoloman
69 - 10 points - rta - Blufunk
70 - 9 points - pop - Sascha
71 - 9 points - mmx - Cutter Slade
72 - 9 points - mnc - Mitschel
73 - 9 points - mnc - Yeboah17
74 - 9 points - pop - Arne
75 - 9 points - rkb - DSOP_ape
76 - 8 points - wtd - zoltan.schwegler
77 - 8 points - gpo - Navarone
78 - 8 points - mnc - euph
79 - 8 points - sh2 - BVBFabi09
80 - 7 points - gpo - Konsolomio
81 - 7 points - rpg - Zion
82 - 7 points - hcg - Snake
83 - 7 points - gms - Kanedat
84 - 7 points - hcg - alexmate
85 - 7 points - gms - hellifanboy
86 - 7 points - ntl - Dogorilla
87 - 7 points - sh2 - Bonz
88 - 6 points - pop - PUH
89 - 6 points - ntl - CactusMan
90 - 6 points - gpo - OutOfBounds
91 - 5 points - ata - JeremiahJT
92 - 5 points - ntl - Fizza
93 - 5 points - rta - DaveLong
94 - 5 points - smu - Ed Oscuro
95 - 5 points - nto - Ande
96 - 5 points - gpo - Bully
97 - 5 points - mmx - Shades
98 - 5 points - rkb - Phliege
99 - 4 points - pop - Daiyama
100- 4 points - rkb - ToniLustig
101- 4 points - nto - 4C8en
102- 3 points - gav - Yoshi
103- 3 points - gms - Black Friday
104- 2 points - ata - BydoEmpire
105- 2 points - ntl - StarPoint
106- 2 points - ntl - Minecraftemery
107- 2 points - rkb - Grandhanate
108- 1 points - rkb - Lime

ata - Atari Age
can - PC Canard
eab - English Amiga Board
ftg - fontgeek
gav - Gaming Village
gms - Gamestar
gpo - Gamepro
gsg - Gamersglobal
hcg - hardcore gaming 101
m!g - Man!iac
mmx - Multimediaxis
mnc - old maniac
mtc - Metacouncil
ntl - NintendoLife
nto - NTower
pop - Powerplay
rkb - Rocket Beans
rpg - RPG Maker
rta - ResetEra
rtc - RetroCanteen
sh2 - Shock²
smu - Shmups
spz - Spazio PC
wop - World of Players
wtd - Wasted

Well then, an award ceremony: Congratulations to Mangamaniac, marek, excelsior, the_BACH and Antiriad.... you all got FULL POINTS and won this round!

Also congrats to Striderblade, Gerhard S, lifer, Calastellio and TheLastToKnow, together you are the TOP 10. :)

LOCAL HIGH SCORE:

1 - 16 points - @jgkspsx
2 - 05 points - @jeremiahjt
3 - 02 points - @BydoEmpire

Congratulations to jgkspsx for the local lead. :)

Thanks to everyone for playing!

Edited by Mr_Horizon
  • Thanks 1

Wow, I don’t think I have played or heard of Chewy before. It looks uncannily familiar but it must just be the zeitgeist.

The only one I feel sad about missing was Elvira. I went with Addams Family. Otherwise I am happy with my score.

Don’t y’all know Quark???

• Like 1

I knew BurgerTime and Food Fight for sure. I was pretty sure on Maniac Mansion. I had no idea on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Crossroads of Time, but I recognized Quark and figured there could not be that many Deep Space Nine games to look through before I found it. It took about 15 seconds of searching. I had no idea what Three Stooges game that was, so I just put in The Three Stooges. Voila, there are my five points.

• Like 2

LPKRGYI.gif

March Quiz - the "Mystery Theme"

February was about the kitchen, March is about.... yes, about what?? This time you can answer the question of the theme yourself! All 25 games this month have one crucial detail in common. Whoever finds out the secret theme (and enters it correctly in the bonus question) gets a bonus point for themselves AND the other players in their forum. 

Maybe it's easy, maybe it's difficult - I'm curious myself how many of you recognise the theme. :)

Deadline is Thursday 31st March, participation via http://www.retrogamequiz.com/

Here comes the quiz, have fun:
CJr431c.png
Direct link - participation via http://www.retrogamequiz.com/

Edited by Mr_Horizon
  • Like 1

I think I know what the theme is… but now I’m questioning it.

Without thinking about it or looking closely at the screenshots I (think I) know immediately 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 11, 13, 14, 19, 21, and 23. 7, 9, 17, and 18 seem very familiar. 20 looks like a series I know. A lot of these screenshots are hard to parse, though.

1 is the first of a very long series with more rereleases than any other game series I know.

5 is a sadly abandoned series that was widely considered a highlight of the genre for its original system.

2 and 6 are some of the best games ever made in their genre, and I would put 8 up there too. 2 has been extensively rereleased but 6 and 8 have been almost entirely forgotten.

Nobody who encountered 10 will probably ever forget it.

I know for a fact you have extensively played a game in the same series as 23, @jeremiahjt. (although this is from the title screen of one specific rarely discussed remake, where I spent many an hour of my youth goofing around.) If I’m right, 20 too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2022 at 10:03 AM, jgkspsx said:

I think I know what the theme is… but now I’m questioning it.

Without thinking about it or looking closely at the screenshots I (think I) know immediately 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 11, 13, 14, 19, 21, and 23. 7, 9, 17, and 18 seem very familiar. 20 looks like a series I know. A lot of these screenshots are hard to parse, though.

1 is the first of a very long series with more rereleases than any other game series I know.

5 is a sadly abandoned series that was widely considered a highlight of the genre for its original system.

2 and 6 are some of the best games ever made in their genre, and I would put 8 up there too. 2 has been extensively rereleased but 6 and 8 have been almost entirely forgotten.

Nobody who encountered 10 will probably ever forget it.

I know for a fact you have extensively played a game in the same series as 23, @jeremiahjt. (although this is from the title screen of one specific rarely discussed remake, where I spent many an hour of my youth goofing around.) If I’m right, 20 too.

20 was one of the three or so games that I thought looked somewhat familiar, but I am drawing a complete blank on 23.

10 kind of looks like Ruk from What Are Little Girls Made Of? and I am pretty sure if a game was ever based on that I would know.

I think Ted Cassidy is definitely the inspiration for the design of this character. If he were still around for the film adaptations of this series, he would have been better than the guy who played this thing…

23 was ported to almost every home console after the 2600 back in the day, all the way up to the PlayStation. The series is dormant, but there are clones being developed even up to the present day.

March Quiz - Clues #1

@jgkspsx you DO post a lot of clues, makes me wonder if my hints are even needed. ;) But yes, halfway through the month I want to offer everyone some help. So far thirty people are playing, but no one yet from this forum. Will a few more people join in the remaining two weeks? I wish you a nice weekend, hopefully with enough time to take part! :)

So, here are the clues #1:

1) Game 12 is a famous JRPG.
2) The 16 is the only fighting game in this round.
3) In picture 3 you are just deciding on the faction of a well-known RTS game.
4) If you like 2D platformers, you should check out number 1, 6 and 8.

Closing date is Thursday March 31st, participation via http://www.retrogamequiz.com/

Here is the quiz again, good luck: https://i.imgur.com/CJr431c.png

Edited by Mr_Horizon

March Quiz - Clues #2

Aaaand here it is already, the last weekend of March. One last time there's help from me - but then you're on your own for the last couple days.

The number of players has risen to over sixty, but there's no one from this forum. So @jgkspsx @jeremiahjt @BydoEmpire and @neogeo1982 ...how about it? :)

Here are the final clues:

1) In game 7 you have to sneak and steal stuff.
2) Title 18 has been released on the Neo Geo.
3) Number 4 is a sci fi motorbike racing game. How many of these are there actually?
4) Game 11 is not from Sega! ;)

Deadline is Thursday 31st of March, enter via http://www.retrogamequiz.com/

Here's the quiz one last time, good luck: link

Edited by Mr_Horizon

I hope I wasn’t the only one who entered. I think I did well on this one.

@Mr_Horizon, it might help participation if the thread title more closely reflected what the quiz is. I think people who might participate just skip over it because they don’t know what it is. Maybe something like: “Monthly Gaming Quiz: can you guess the games based on tiny screenshots?” or something similar. If you can’t edit it, you could ask Albert for permissions to.

• Like 1