IGNORED

VCS Realtek driver issues under Ubuntu

28 minutes ago, Sheldon Sims said:

My WiFi drops every few seconds in Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, so I have been using an ethernet cable to get around it.  ?

Yes, there is a known driver problem in Ubuntu for the Realtek chipset. It's very annoying.
I keep checking for updates, but Linux support at the moment is flaky for this Realtek sadly.
The disabling WIFI power-management helps, but it's not a cure.

It's not the Realtek board/chipset because it works perfectly (and fast) under Windows 10,
and it's now reliable under AtariOS too, but still not as fast as it is in Windows 10, for sure.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 5/17/2021 at 6:49 PM, justclaws said:

Yes, there is a known driver problem in Ubuntu for the Realtek chipset. It's very annoying.
I keep checking for updates, but Linux support at the moment is flaky for this Realtek sadly.
The disabling WIFI power-management helps, but it's not a cure.

It's not the Realtek board/chipset because it works perfectly (and fast) under Windows 10,
and it's now reliable under AtariOS too, but still not as fast as it is in Windows 10, for sure.

Do you know what chipset it is or where I can get more info?

I had been using ethernet until I moved my VCS to the living room this weekend.    After enabling Wifi under Ubuntu (20.04), it started writing tons of errors to syslog and eventually ran out of space on /.   I had to use a recovery flash drive to fix the issue.

Obviously I can't leave wifi enabled if this is going to happen, so looking for fixes/workarounds.

On 10/12/2021 at 6:42 PM, zzip said:

I had been using ethernet until I moved my VCS to the living room this weekend.    After enabling Wifi under Ubuntu (20.04), it started writing tons of errors to syslog and eventually ran out of space on /.   I had to use a recovery flash drive to fix the issue.

Obviously I can't leave wifi enabled if this is going to happen, so looking for fixes/workarounds.

NOTE - this is not a problem in AtariOS, where early WIFI driver issues were also long
since resolved, and WIFI is now wire-speed, but AtariOS is based on Apertis (Debian).

Yes, basically you need to turn-off the WIFI power-saving. This page describes it,
but it's been described several places (and of course, it's not only on Atari VCS).
It's a while since I was using WIFI, but I think it's still valid.

13 minutes ago, justclaws said:

Yes, basically you need to turn-off the WIFI power-saving. This page describes it,
but it's been described several places (and of course, it's not only on Atari VCS).
It's a while since I was using WIFI, but I think it's still valid.

Nice.  I'll give it a try,  thanks!  

• 2 months later...
On 10/12/2021 at 6:42 PM, zzip said:

The Wifi card is : Realtek 8822CE Wireless LAN 802.11ac PCI-E NIC