IGNORED

Atari 7800 Emulator Subsystem (in VCS Store)

justclaws

Just released to store. Details follow.
I am very excited about this, as the 7800 is my favourite 8-bit console for sure.
The first of the Atari consoles to come to the VCS, as they have long intended.

Games Now Released!
2020-10-15 -- Desert Falcon - $2.99
2020-10-15 -- Basketbrawl - $2.99

The emulator has already been updated today, from the first release below.
The emulator now shows proper details, and the image has changed as below.

1568290257_WhatsAppImage2021-10-19at09_58_14.thumb.jpeg.050acc53e6d57f5762277b89217b563f.jpeg

There's a dedicated thread to discuss so-far RELEASED 7800 games here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I haven't figured out how to install ROMS. Anyone figure it out yet?

I fired up Ubuntu on my VCS, and I found the Storage directory that AtariOS uses. And I believe I found the roms directory from within one of the directories in there. But I didn't have permission to drop a rom file in that directory. That's where I'm stuck.

• Like 1

I get the sense they released this prematurely. There is speculation on Discord that they plan on selling 7800 roms in the store. After you purchase the rom, it will then work with this emulator. Just guessing at this point.

• Like 1

I noticed that the DosBox publisher was “Atari - test.” My guess would also be that they will sell ROMs. I am excited to see what they do. Hopefully if it goes well they will consider doing other systems like 8-bit and the Lynx. I would love the Jag too but I don’t know what the state of emulators are and what they could do about the controllers.

I think these aren't meant to be standalone apps that allow you to boot up your personal ROMs but rather a back end system that will allow Atari to sell 7800 Roms and DOSbox programs through the VCS Store. Today we have the release of 7800 Basketbrawl and Desert Falcon, or so I've read. I bet they exist in the Store because people can choose to install the back end support or not, as opposed to them adding them at the OS level and then having the OS take up (slightly) more space.

So I guess “native emulation” means about as much as a 7800 Super Cartridge (nothing really). From another user’s screenshot it looks like they are using MAME.

I am pretty excited about this though and it should keep new content coming regularly at least.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

If they are using MAME instead of some kind of 7800-specific emulator that sounds like great news to me.

It might be "a7800" which is a standalone emulator that uses the same 7800 emulation engine as Mame, but without all the extra Mame bloat.

2 minutes ago, zzip said:

It might be "a7800" which is a standalone emulator that uses the same 7800 emulation engine as Mame, but without all the extra Mame bloat.

It's working great, anyway.
Right now, playing with a 3rd-party Xbox controller, but Classic, Modern, next.

188318928_WhatsAppImage2021-10-15at19_39_03.thumb.jpeg.b401e0676e8e61c68ebc5c518dd8c66e.jpeg

• Like 1

Other first-party 7800 games we could see on the VCS:

Centipede

Asteroids

Alien Brigade

Dark Chambers

RealSports Baseball

Planet Smashers

Fatal Run

Motor Psycho

Ninja Golf

Food Fight

Meltdown

Scrapyard Dog

Sentinel

All games above are listed in Atari's IP catalogue. If they partner with Bandai Namco, we could see some high-profile games added:

Ms. Pac-Man

Pole Position 2

Xevious

Dig Dug

Galaga

• Like 2