IGNORED

DOS Box Emulator Games (in VCS Store)

justclaws

The DOSbox was added to AtariOS, but it was months before content arrived,
apparently because the DOSbox was part of a system update, and premature.

I don't expect that we'll be requiring a thread-per-game for these, just as with 7800 titles.

Now content has started to arrive, so I add it to this post for reference.
2022-01-28 - Dogfight by Microprose, 1993 - $6.99
2022-02-04 - The Ancient Art of War in the Skies, by Microprose

1886278354_WhatsAppImage2021-10-19at09_59_59.thumb.jpeg.8547bd3130a69df5a4e1857ba5b7c442.jpeg

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, justclaws said:

However, it's there to support release of previous Atari games, I would imagine.

I wonder what they have in mind?    Atari never made a lot of DOS games as far as I can tell.   The old Atarisoft games usually had better versions on other systems,  and the 90s DOS gaming heydey was when Atari was floundering with the Jaguar and merging with JTS.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, zzip said:

I wonder what they have in mind?    Atari never made a lot of DOS games as far as I can tell.   The old Atarisoft games usually had better versions on other systems,  and the 90s DOS gaming heydey was when Atari was floundering with the Jaguar and merging with JTS.

I'd be happy if Atari would release Tempest 2000 (PC port) which was done by Atari Interactive.
It's as good as the Jaguar version, and until Jaguar emulation is added, I would like that a lot.

Besides Tempest 2000, I can't think of any other DOS game that can be added by Atari. Those Hasbro era remakes (Centipede, Pong: The Next Level, etc.) ran on Windows 95/98.

Maybe DOSbox could be for third-party games that can be played with a controller, kinda like how GOG.com sells classic PC games that utilize DOSbox.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bugcatcher88 said:

Besides Tempest 2000, I can't think of any other DOS game that can be added by Atari. Those Hasbro era remakes (Centipede, Pong: The Next Level, etc.) ran on Windows 95/98.

Maybe DOSbox could be for third-party games that can be played with a controller, kinda like how GOG.com sells classic PC games that utilize DOSbox.

I’ll never forgive Fred for selling the Alone in the Dark franchise, would have been perfect for VCS.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nall3k said:

I’ll never forgive Fred for selling the Alone in the Dark franchise, would have been perfect for VCS.

Yeah, I was really shocked when I read the news back in 2018. This came several months after they successfully crowdfunded the VCS, which made no sense as the console would need first-party content. A new AitD would've made so much sense as an exclusive title for the system. With DOSbox on VCS now, they could've had the original trilogy on here. It would've been a perfect release for October. But nope. THQNordic owns it now and they're not doing shit with it.

I want to know if DOSBox is going to be open to allow us to run whatever we want in it.  I would like to see Atari open up DOSBox and the 7800 emulator in the Atari OS to allow us to run our own and DOS games and ROM's that we own already. I have ton of old DOS games and it would be really awesome to be able to use the Atari VCS to play them on my TV.  Hopefully these are not just closed emulators that only runs the content that you purchase to add to it.

2 hours ago, Tidus79001 said:

I want to know if DOSBox is going to be open to allow us to run whatever we want in it.  I would like to see Atari open up DOSBox and the 7800 emulator in the Atari OS to allow us to run our own and DOS games and ROM's that we own already. I have ton of old DOS games and it would be really awesome to be able to use the Atari VCS to play them on my TV.  Hopefully these are not just closed emulators that only runs the content that you purchase to add to it.

I suspect the answer is no; this is a back end addition to the OS to run future VCS Store releases like the 7800 emulator is for the new Flashback Fridays releases. I'd love it, though! 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

I suspect the answer is no; this is a back end addition to the OS to run future VCS Store releases like the 7800 emulator is for the new Flashback Fridays releases. I'd love it, though! 

Honestly, I am more interested in DOSBox being opened up than the Atari 7800 emulator.

Edited by Tidus79001
  • Like 1

Well, this means it needs the support of the Roland UM-ONE, so we can have lovely MIDI support with the MT32.  :)  Well at least that's what I use on my desktop with Linux, so it likely would work out of the box, as long as dosbox is made aware of it.

But this is actually pretty sweet.  Would make a bit more sense to have like an Hatari / Atari800 backend more though...

9 minutes ago, Tidus79001 said:

Honestly, I am more interested in DOSBOX being opened up than the Atari 7800 emulator.

I mean... it's already open source.. But I get what you mean, like being able to just slap software into a virtual C:\ and having at it?

Ha, you could even run GEM under DOS...

Edit: Another potential is this;

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2021/10/interplay-updating-many-classic-titles-on-steam-to-add-support-for-linux

Edited by leech
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, leech said:

I mean... it's already open source.. But I get what you mean, like being able to just slap software into a virtual C:\ and having at it?

Ha, you could even run GEM under DOS...

Yes, I want to be able to run anything we want in this virtual DOS environment is what I want.  I have tons of old DOS games that I would like to be able to play in it on my TV.  I suspect that is probably going to be locked down so that it only runs content that is purchased from the Atari VCS store.

Edited by Tidus79001

• 3 weeks later...

(I split-off the discussion about using the DOSbox in a direct way, into the homebrew sub-forum.)

Atari are more likely to distribute existing Atari titles, and Atari-related assets via the DOS subsystem.
This YouTube video (from February 2021) with the new Atari CEO, Wade Rosen, may give some ideas...

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

The first release is Dogfight, by Microprose, priced at $6.99.
It was originally released in 1993. It requires the VCS Modern controller, and a keyboard.

It requires mouse and keyboard, but I am struggling with it. My Logitech K400 touchpad is
currently not being recognised as a mouse.

The game does not recognise the VCS Classic joystick at all, nor does it recognise a mouse.

In-game, I just discovered, it supports my Saitek ST-90 USB flight stick (at least for
the key functions of analogue flight controls, and fire/trigger. The rest to be tested.)

I find no manual, which seems like a big oversight for such a complex game. A big oversight.
(The game prompts for a word from the user-manual, but just pressing <enter> is acceptable.)

This video from YouTube shows some of the incredibly depth of the game.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bugcatcher88 said:

I bought the game last night. The gameplay is very choppy compared to that video linked above. How's everyone else's experience with it?

Hmm. That’s too bad. I’m much more interested in this game, than Rally Racers.  Look forward to hear from others as well.

• Like 1

The Ziggurat catalogue has many quality titles that I'd certainly buy.

They have a ton of Data East games that would be perfect for the VCS.

https://www.ziggurat.games/

Super Huey is one of there IP's and has already been released on the VCS for the 7800.

Several IP's from their catalogue were also announced for the VCS DosBox emulator such as 4th and Inches, and Fast Break and more.

They have some excellent games that will hopefully now see release on the VCS.

20220202_151036.png

Edited by Gunther