IGNORED

Atari VCS Flashback Fridays

marss

I'm not sure why this seems to have flow under the radar, but the recent VCS review in Newsweek had TWO interesting tidbits announced:

Flashback Fridays

As of today, Basketbrawl and Desert Falcon can be purchased ($2.99 each), downloaded and played through native Atari 7800 system emulation. (This all happens in the background, because the Atari operating system already has some emulators built in—enabling the VCS 800 to play titles from various gaming systems—and others can be added through future firmware updates.) It's the first in a series of weekly drops, or Flashback Fridays, which will feature both first- and third-party titles culled from a rich history of arcade, console and computer formats. Although we're not at liberty to disclose which other games will be coming out when, we can say that a week from today two very popular and well-loved retro favorites will be released, fully compatible with both the Atari VCS Classic Joystick and Modern Controller. And Atari will continue to drop more titles each week, building in the ability for the VCS to play additional game system emulators along the way.

PC Mode

Atari is continuing to refine PC mode, with plans to make a more simplified USB plug-in available for purchase later this year.

I'm not really sure what the USB plug-in is about (a pre-installed copy of Windows, perhaps?), but the new game releases every Friday definitely piqued my interest!

Edited by PaulXMann
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, swlovinist said:

If I read this right, then with future updates, people will be able to add their own games to play?

I see why you'd read it that way, but I think the author was just trying to say that Atari will release additional emulators for them to sell additional games (i.e., the 7800 emulator they just released, along with the 7800 games).

That said, I'm not sure why you'd release a separate emulator vs. just building it into the game (i.e., the Vault collection) unless you had plans to allow people to add their own games (whether overtly encouraged or not).

The article mentions third-party titles are also coming (I'm assuming for the 7800). I wonder which publishers Atari has partnered with ?

Bandai-Namco is a good one as there's a few well-known games on the 7800 such as Ms. Pac-Man & Galaga. WB Games is another good one since they have all the properties previously owned by Midway such as Joust & Robotron (both also available on 7800).

Edited by bugcatcher88

Anybody have any guesses to what the well-loved favorites are going to be released this Friday? The most popular Atari-owned 7800 games I can think of would be the ones about to get the Recharged treatment - Asteroids and Centipede. Or maybe it will be something for the DOSBox. I’m already digging Flashback Friday.

• Like 1

It's great that 7800 games are being offered, but I just don't see the value at $3 each.  If it was $10 - $20 for their entire 7800 catalogue I'd buy it instantly.  But at $3 per game, I'll just boot into Ubuntu and play 7800 games through RetroPie for Linux (Emulation Station).

11 hours ago, rayik said:

It's great that 7800 games are being offered, but I just don't see the value at $3 each.  If it was $10 - $20 for their entire 7800 catalogue I'd buy it instantly.  But at $3 per game, I'll just boot into Ubuntu and play 7800 games through RetroPie for Linux (Emulation Station).

I have no issue paying for the official release of the game. I wanna support Atari and it's kinda nice to have a guide to 7800 games I've never played before. 

• Like 6

I like Scrapyard Dog for the 7800 but I do have to say that it has one of the worst/disjointed endings of any video game I have played. The final "boss" is so out of left field. I think they really improved on the game with the Lynx release. I loved that version.

• Like 1