IGNORED

Starplex controller variant

Atari_Bill

On 10/15/2021 at 5:08 PM, Atari_Bill said:

Anyone know anything about this Starplex controller?   The only ones I’ve ever seen are wood grain look.  I’ve never seen this one before.  Early model?

Bill, here's some info. regarding the controller from ataricompendium.com:

Some boxes show a silver overlay (with the name "Starplex Controller") which does exist, but the wood grain version (with the name "Video Game Controller") is more common.

So it looks like the name of the controller changed at some point.  I don't know if this helps in any way.  Perhaps you've seen this already, but I thought I'd mention it, just in case.

Edited by JayAre
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, JayAre said:

Bill, here's some info. regarding the controller from ataricompendium.com:

Some boxes show a silver overlay (with the name "Starplex Controller") which does exist, but the wood grain version (with the name "Video Game Controller") is more common.

So it looks like the name of the controller changed at some point.  I don't know if this helps in any way.  Perhaps you've seen this already, but I thought I'd mention it, just in case.

I hadn’t.  Thanks!  That’s appreciated!

20 minutes ago, save2600 said:

For years, I had a box that showed that particular style/variant... but a woodgrain Starplex controller was inside. 

That’s what has thrown me a bit.  I have been unable to find a pic of this one almost anywhere on the web.  I did find this picture on Atariage from a thread years back with just a mention in passing.  Everywhere else, nada.  

• Like 1

On 10/17/2021 at 4:33 PM, Atari_Bill said:

That’s what has thrown me a bit.  I have been unable to find a pic of this one almost anywhere on the web.  I did find this picture on Atariage from a thread years back with just a mention in passing.  Everywhere else, nada.  

I came across one many years ago (in the wild) and should have purchased it, but I already had 3 boxed controllers.  This is my go to for Asteroids on any system.  I like playing Space Invaders and other side scrolling games with it as well.  I'm still using the one that I originally purchased.  The other two have always been back-ups, but the first one has never failed me and I play tons of Asteroids (7800 version and Bob DeCrescenzo's homebrew). 

33 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

I came across one many years ago (in the wild) and should have purchased it, but I already had 3 boxed controllers.  This is my go to for Asteroids on any system.  I like playing Space Invaders and other side scrolling games with it as well.  I'm still using the one that I originally purchased.  The other two have always been back-ups, but the first one has never failed me and I play tons of Asteroids (7800 version and Bob DeCrescenzo's homebrew). 

Haven’t tried it yet,but it looks perfect for certain games.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/15/2021 at 5:08 PM, Atari_Bill said:

Anyone know anything about this Starplex controller?   The only ones I’ve ever seen are wood grain look.  I’ve never seen this one before.  Early model?

D0758065-88BA-40BB-A120-DC3D739477D1.jpeg.56a3b61e455dd8cae2cd5f55f224f401.jpeg

Cool controller is it a stand alone system?

On 11/12/2021 at 11:36 PM, Crazy Climber said:

...then I saw the $75 price and poor condition and quickly lost interest...

What was the problem?   I've thought of rebuilding one of mine with new Sanwa 24mm buttons after the fire button wore out.

Re: Astroblast:  you install one AA battery and when you push the fire button it autofires ..  I wonder why they didn't use a P7 wire which would have delivered +5v to the controller .. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rob Mitchell said:

What was the problem?   I've thought of rebuilding one of mine with new Sanwa 24mm buttons after the fire button wore out.

Re: Astroblast:  you install one AA battery and when you push the fire button it autofires ..  I wonder why they didn't use a P7 wire which would have delivered +5v to the controller .. 

Haha, the problem was I'm old and remember when these were $30 new in box on atari2600.com....

mechanically is was probably sound, but $75 for a washed out looking starplex was too hard for me to justify. Even if they are worth that now (I honestly have no idea of their current value) 

The last one I purchased (NIB) was from Digital Press Videogames in Clifton NJ.  This was a few years back, so I don't recall how much it cost, but it certainly wasn't anywhere near $70.  I don't think it was more that $30.  Anyway, they had quite a few of them.  They used to sell some on eBay as well.

• Like 1