Jump to content
Atari_Bill

Starplex controller variant

Recommended Posts

Anyone know anything about this Starplex controller?   The only ones I’ve ever seen are wood grain look.  I’ve never seen this one before.  Early model?
 

D0758065-88BA-40BB-A120-DC3D739477D1.jpeg.56a3b61e455dd8cae2cd5f55f224f401.jpeg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Nobody has seen this before?  I wouldn’t think it to be pre production or anything like that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2021 at 5:08 PM, Atari_Bill said:

Anyone know anything about this Starplex controller?   The only ones I’ve ever seen are wood grain look.  I’ve never seen this one before.  Early model?

Bill, here's some info. regarding the controller from ataricompendium.com:

 

Some boxes show a silver overlay (with the name "Starplex Controller") which does exist, but the wood grain version (with the name "Video Game Controller") is more common.

 

So it looks like the name of the controller changed at some point.  I don't know if this helps in any way.  Perhaps you've seen this already, but I thought I'd mention it, just in case.

Edited by JayAre
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JayAre said:

Bill, here's some info. regarding the controller from ataricompendium.com:

 

Some boxes show a silver overlay (with the name "Starplex Controller") which does exist, but the wood grain version (with the name "Video Game Controller") is more common.

 

So it looks like the name of the controller changed at some point.  I don't know if this helps in any way.  Perhaps you've seen this already, but I thought I'd mention it, just in case.

I hadn’t.  Thanks!  That’s appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For years, I had a box that showed that particular style/variant... but a woodgrain Starplex controller was inside. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, save2600 said:

For years, I had a box that showed that particular style/variant... but a woodgrain Starplex controller was inside. 

Same

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, save2600 said:

For years, I had a box that showed that particular style/variant... but a woodgrain Starplex controller was inside. 

That’s what has thrown me a bit.  I have been unable to find a pic of this one almost anywhere on the web.  I did find this picture on Atariage from a thread years back with just a mention in passing.  Everywhere else, nada.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2021 at 4:33 PM, Atari_Bill said:

That’s what has thrown me a bit.  I have been unable to find a pic of this one almost anywhere on the web.  I did find this picture on Atariage from a thread years back with just a mention in passing.  Everywhere else, nada.  

I came across one many years ago (in the wild) and should have purchased it, but I already had 3 boxed controllers.  This is my go to for Asteroids on any system.  I like playing Space Invaders and other side scrolling games with it as well.  I'm still using the one that I originally purchased.  The other two have always been back-ups, but the first one has never failed me and I play tons of Asteroids (7800 version and Bob DeCrescenzo's homebrew). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

I came across one many years ago (in the wild) and should have purchased it, but I already had 3 boxed controllers.  This is my go to for Asteroids on any system.  I like playing Space Invaders and other side scrolling games with it as well.  I'm still using the one that I originally purchased.  The other two have always been back-ups, but the first one has never failed me and I play tons of Asteroids (7800 version and Bob DeCrescenzo's homebrew). 

Haven’t tried it yet,but it looks perfect for certain games.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have one of each! Great for the 7800 version of head to head Asteroids.

 

I once measured the distance of the buttons in relation to each other on my Asteroids Deluxe cocktail machine and the Starplex are the same!

IMG_20211019_113212[1].jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SpiceWare said:

I have this variant ;)

 

sr.jpg

I still want this variant.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, groundtrooper said:


Same.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now I know my competition, should one ever surface on the AA Marketplace or eBay. 😉 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had several of them over the years. The woodgrain is far more common, only had one or two silvers. Found one in the wild recently and got excited...then I saw the $75 price and poor condition and quickly lost interest...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2021 at 5:08 PM, Atari_Bill said:

Anyone know anything about this Starplex controller?   The only ones I’ve ever seen are wood grain look.  I’ve never seen this one before.  Early model?
 

D0758065-88BA-40BB-A120-DC3D739477D1.jpeg.56a3b61e455dd8cae2cd5f55f224f401.jpeg

Cool controller is it a stand alone system?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Yurkie said:

Cool controller is it a stand alone system?

It’s a stand alone controller for 2600

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2021 at 11:36 PM, Crazy Climber said:

...then I saw the $75 price and poor condition and quickly lost interest...

 

What was the problem?   I've thought of rebuilding one of mine with new Sanwa 24mm buttons after the fire button wore out.

 

Re: Astroblast:  you install one AA battery and when you push the fire button it autofires ..  I wonder why they didn't use a P7 wire which would have delivered +5v to the controller .. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Rob Mitchell said:

 

What was the problem?   I've thought of rebuilding one of mine with new Sanwa 24mm buttons after the fire button wore out.

 

Re: Astroblast:  you install one AA battery and when you push the fire button it autofires ..  I wonder why they didn't use a P7 wire which would have delivered +5v to the controller .. 

Haha, the problem was I'm old and remember when these were $30 new in box on atari2600.com....

 

mechanically is was probably sound, but $75 for a washed out looking starplex was too hard for me to justify. Even if they are worth that now (I honestly have no idea of their current value) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The last one I purchased (NIB) was from Digital Press Videogames in Clifton NJ.  This was a few years back, so I don't recall how much it cost, but it certainly wasn't anywhere near $70.  I don't think it was more that $30.  Anyway, they had quite a few of them.  They used to sell some on eBay as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...