IGNORED

Haunted House

Tidus79001

Atari sold off Alone in the Dark, but in my opinion they don't really needed it.  Atari still owns the rights to Haunted House and it is the sort of title that they could expand upon and make into a real franchise of its own.  Atari was on the right track with this game when they made Haunted House: Cryptic Graves in 2014.  I know that the game has technical issues and wasn't well received, but there was a lot of potential there with the that version of the game and was much better than the very cartoony version that they released in 2010. I like the overall look of the graphics and ht dark foreboding tone of the game.  Atari should work on a sequel or remake that resolves the issues with the game had as it is a waste of what was potentially a great game and in my opinion is salvageable and would be well received on the Atari VCS.

• Like 1

This looks awesome, they could salvage it and give the game new life on the VCS. Atari has a history of either abandoning or never following through with franchises that had the potential to be something big for them. Dragon Ball Z, Alone in the Dark, Primal Rage, and many others. Now that the VCS is out these games have a platform to really shine on and find the audience they deserve.

• Like 1

It would make sense for Atari to go the modern first person survival horror route with Haunted House, but to me the original game felt more like a puzzle adventure game more similar to Adventure. So, to my mind, a third-person view along the lines of Diablo III or Minecraft Dungeons where people work together to escape the Haunted House with more of a modern "Escape Room" style of gameplay would feel closer to the original. Just my opinion/ 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

It would make sense for Atari to go the modern first person survival horror route with Haunted House, but to me the original game felt more like a puzzle adventure game more similar to Adventure. So, to my mind, a third-person view along the lines of Diablo III or Minecraft Dungeons where people work together to escape the Haunted House with more of a modern "Escape Room" style of gameplay would feel closer to the original. Just my opinion/ 

Agreed, the games needs to go the survival horror route and this game have the basic elements of that already.  Plenty to build on here and I do like what I saw they did so far with the game.

• Like 1

In case you aren't familiar with the Videlectrix lore, they are supposed to be an 80s video game company that is constantly striving for "good graphics".  They are part of the Homestar Runner universe. 

This is, by far, my favorite let's-play video.  Happy Halloween. 

Edited by Tommy2D
  • Like 1

On 10/16/2021 at 11:08 AM, Tidus79001 said:

Atari sold off Alone in the Dark, but in my opinion they don't really needed it.  Atari still owns the rights to Haunted House and it is the sort of title that they could expand upon and make into a real franchise of its own.  Atari was on the right track with this game when they made Haunted House: Cryptic Graves in 2014.  I know that the game has technical issues and wasn't well received, but there was a lot of potential there with the that version of the game and was much better than the very cartoony version that they released in 2010. I like the overall look of the graphics and ht dark foreboding tone of the game.  Atari should work on a sequel or remake that resolves the issues with the game had as it is a waste of what was potentially a great game and in my opinion is salvageable and would be well received on the Atari VCS.

I have Haunted House: Cryptic Graves, though I barely played it because my PC at the time wasn't very good for gaming. The game released in November 2014 and was pulled March 2015, so it was sold for only a few months. I wonder what happened behind the scenes that caused the game to be discontinued to soon. 

While I didn't care for the cartoony visuals of the 2010 game, I did like how it served as a sequel to the 2600 original and I really appreciated how they expanded on the lore. 

• Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 4:47 PM, bugcatcher88 said:

I have Haunted House: Cryptic Graves, though I barely played it because my PC at the time wasn't very good for gaming. The game released in November 2014 and was pulled March 2015, so it was sold for only a few months. I wonder what happened behind the scenes that caused the game to be discontinued to soon. 

While I didn't care for the cartoony visuals of the 2010 game, I did like how it served as a sequel to the 2600 original and I really appreciated how they expanded on the lore. 

Haunted House: Cryptic Graves has the potential to be reworked into a new game.  I definitely feel that Atari was moving in the right direction visually with the dark atmospheric environment and foreboding tone of the game.  I like the there is a bit of quest in the game to hold me interest and make me think about how to progress through the puzzles,  Maybe turn into a bit more of survival horror game.  There is a lot to work with for title such as Haunted House.

On 10/23/2021 at 2:18 AM, justclaws said:

I've never heard of this game, but I wasn't into PC gaming in 2014.
As a Windows game, I think it could not be carried forward easily to the VCS.
However, as a concept, it looks interesting, and better than "Alone In The Dark"!

Teaser Trailer

I don't see why not.  Usually the main hurdle to porting a game to Linux from Windows is mostly about what third party software they used.  Like some video codecs and such don't have a Linux equivalent (that's supposedly the only reason Unreal Tournament III was never released).  So depending on if they still had the source code, and weren't using some closed source middleware software, they could quite easily port it and then enhance it for the VCS.  Or... you know do what they're doing with DOSBox and 7800 Emulator and just include Proton as a Windows wrapper.

• Like 2

On 10/23/2021 at 4:18 AM, justclaws said:

I've never heard of this game, but I wasn't into PC gaming in 2014.
As a Windows game, I think it could not be carried forward easily to the VCS.
However, as a concept, it looks interesting, and better than "Alone In The Dark"!

Teaser Trailer

What a concept like this to build on Atari certainly doesn't need Alone in the Dark

17 hours ago, leech said:

I don't see why not.  Usually the main hurdle to porting a game to Linux from Windows is mostly about what third party software they used.  Like some video codecs and such don't have a Linux equivalent (that's supposedly the only reason Unreal Tournament III was never released).  So depending on if they still had the source code, and weren't using some closed source middleware software, they could quite easily port it and then enhance it for the VCS.  Or... you know do what they're doing with DOSBox and 7800 Emulator and just include Proton as a Windows wrapper.

It would be best to do this

as a remake. The game needs some polish but as a concept of what a modernized version of Haunted House could be I think that this could be made into a successful franchise if done right.

Edited by Tidus79001
  • Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 4:47 PM, bugcatcher88 said:

Honestly, Atari should remake or bring this franchise back, same vain as AitD.

https://www.atari.com/games/cthulhu-shadow-of-the-comet/

• Like 1