Jump to content
VicViper

Saving basic programs to cassette?

Recommended Posts

cassette? There a trick to it? I've got a NOS tape drive that I've loaded files with before, but when I try to save a file and go through the prompts, I hit the record button but the gears don't move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Make sure the REM lead is connected to the cassette player.  This stands for REMOTE and it allows the computer to control the motor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Retrospect said:

Make sure the REM lead is connected to the cassette player.  This stands for REMOTE and it allows the computer to control the motor.

Yeah I'll have to reseat the connections and try again.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What kind of tape recorder are you using?  If it is not a TI recorder and you have the REMote connected, the remote control could be reversed polarity to the TI's output.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OLD CS1 said:

could be reversed polarity

I've not heard that phrase since jon pertwee's Doctor Who!

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can leave the remote unplugged entirely. You just have to start and stop manually.

 

Or you can buy one of these. They were from back in the 99'er Magazine days. (But don't actually buy one at that crazy price. I'm sure someone will come along with the appropriate circuit. You bring the 35mm canister.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/362913282202?hash=item547f51389a:g:cF8AAOSwIWBeRKNy

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Retrospect said:

I've not heard that phrase since jon pertwee's Doctor Who!

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I suppose it is not COMPLETE gibberish if there is indeed a flow, which indicates a polarity in PRESSURE, but seriously doctor-- why does so much of your equipment run on neutrally charged particles anyway?  You know they can be perniciously difficult to contain, and tend to make materials bombarded in them radioactive, right?

 

Also, wouldnt reversing the flow, kinda like, need a complete redesign of that equipment? I mean, turning a neutron source into a neutron collector kinda requires you to have to be able to DO SOMETHING with the neutrons you are sucking up. ;)  Oh right-- You are a time lord and shit. Did you install some fancy time reversal bullshit with your sonic screwdriver so that the process that generates the neutrons for the neutron flow to happen, now absorbs neutrons instead (because time is running backwards?)

 

You are giving me that look again doctor.

 

Ok Fine, I will just eat the jelly babies and fish fingers with custard and pretend I dont know a damn thing about high energy particles or pressure system design, and nod like all your other companions.

 

 

---

 

Seriousness though, about the cassette recorder situation:

 

Yes, this is a known issue that has been a problem since the TI first was released. There was never an official standard for the REM port, and different manufacturers used their own bespoke solutions for it.  There were little devices that you could plug in-line with the REM port to do the tip/lead switch to make problematic recorders happy that circulated in the enthusiast groups back then, usually made from a bit of perf-board and some phono-jacks/leads, tucked away inside an old film canister.

 

Another possible thing to explore, should "reversing the neutron flow" be ineffective, is to verify that the REM port is producing voltage, and that its ground lead is actually connected to ground.  These ARE old systems now, well past their intended service lives. Your console may need service, and verifying that signals are being generated is good medicine if the usual troubleshooting step does not work for you.

Edited by wierd_w
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

What kind of tape recorder are you using?  If it is not a TI recorder and you have the REMote connected, the remote control could be reversed polarity to the TI's output.

Using a TI brand data recorder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would verify that the cable is emitting a small voltage over the REM port's tip and lead, and that it goes low when you step through the saving routine.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, wierd_w said:

I would verify that the cable is emitting a small voltage over the REM port's tip and lead, and that it goes low when you step through the saving routine.

alright, ill try that tonight, as ive tried two different TI data recorders and gotten the same thing. is it possible the TI isnt putting out the signal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, VicViper said:

alright, ill try that tonight, as ive tried two different TI data recorders and gotten the same thing. is it possible the TI isnt putting out the signal?

It is possible, but more likely that your datacette cable has a short.

 

If you dont get voltage over tip and lead, the next step is to test the cable for a short by doing continuity testing from the pins in the DIN9 connector, and the appropriate end of the cable. If you get good continuity, the next step is to test directly at the DIN9 port while stepping through the routine.

 

If you dont get signal from the DIN9, you likely need to service the console.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Possibly a dumb question, but when the computer prompts me to press record, am I supposed to press Play AND Record?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, VicViper said:

Possibly a dumb question, but when the computer prompts me to press record, am I supposed to press Play AND Record?

On most recorders, yes.  Some will pull PLAY down with RECORD when pressed alone.  I have seen some which have the RECORD button as a post embedded into PLAY.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

On most recorders, yes.  Some will pull PLAY down with RECORD when pressed alone.  I have seen some which have the RECORD button as a post embedded into PLAY.

i suspect this may have been the issue, will test in a bit when i get some free time.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So yep, user error. Wasn't pressing both buttons. Successfully saving files now. Thanks everyone for helping a noob.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, VicViper said:

So yep, user error. Wasn't pressing both buttons. Successfully saving files now. Thanks everyone for helping a noob.

It happens.  But we just might poke fun at you, anway :)

 

6759c8b4955aa4bbb5a9d3c542a5d3ca.jpg.d8b1c15a9c2ded3d122ae406b4792abc.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

It happens.  But we just might poke fun at you, anway :)

 

6759c8b4955aa4bbb5a9d3c542a5d3ca.jpg.d8b1c15a9c2ded3d122ae406b4792abc.jpg

Lol, bring it on, nothing teaches like shame :P

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to play around quite a bit on my old recorder to get things working, but it finally does after a few minutes. Of course, it's not built as well as the to computer that seems to just keep on giving and giving. Ok, maybe the recorder just has way too many caps in it's board that are needing replacement.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GDMike said:

I have to play around quite a bit on my old recorder to get things working, but it finally does after a few minutes. Of course, it's not built as well as the to computer that seems to just keep on giving and giving. Ok, maybe the recorder just has way too many caps in it's board that are needing replacement.

Have the heads,  pinch-roller and capstan been cleaned?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a funny answer but I'll save it..

I cleaned those parts because there easily gotten to. But never changed caps as I don't want to open it and ruin it. Bahaha 🤣

I mean, my tape recorder is really clean, and scratchless. It still does work and it's not worth opening yet, plus I don't use it often.

Maybe a TI fpga can fit inside.. never mind.

 

Edited by GDMike
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...