IGNORED

which multicart now is better now

hloberg

11 hours ago, Level42 said:

Something no-one mentioned yet: SIDE3 has a brilliant user interface and AVGs one looks like shit.

But can you do everything you want under the AVG UI?

You can, no disrespect to Jon who has done brilliant work, but funky UI takes up flash space, he's managed to find a great split of nice UI and operation. It's a little like adding the Preppie font to SDX, yeah it looks really nice, but it's not doing anything for it. Jon's functionality is spot on and people appreciate that, but a sparse UI with a ton of features also works for me.

Yes, I've nothing but praise for his work, mind you he does make a small fortune from his Youtube videos :)

Being a U1MB user I'm using his work daily, although I doubt I'll get a SIDE3 anytime soon, looks great but it would just be repeating most of what my AVG can do, and sadly I don't have the money to spare....As always :)

I have both carts, so I can't be accused of playing favourites.  One thing it seems nobody has mentioned is that the SIDE3 (thanks to @flashjazzcat) will have a read/write FAT32 driver.

But honestly - why does everything have to devolve into a fight?  Both carts are great.  If it's such a close race as to which is better, just buy both and problem solved :)  Everyone wins.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

You can, no disrespect to Jon who has done brilliant work, but funky UI takes up flash space

So Candle kept telling me, but all the graphics resources (i.e. font and bitmaps) in the prior SIDE loaders are RLE compressed and occupy no more than 3K of the available 16. The same is true of the SIDE3 loader, which could take up 7MB of ROM space if it wanted to, but currently consumes 48K. Most of the space is devoted to code and functionality, believe me. :)

Remember also that UNO/Ultimate Cart/AVG all have lightweight front ends and rather complex, full-featured FAT drivers running on powerful MCUs on the cartridge itself. Such drivers are far more complex and monolithic than anything which could be implemented in 5K of 6502 machine code. ;)

28 minutes ago, Stephen said:

But honestly - why does everything have to devolve into a fight?  Both carts are great.

Yeah. I seem to remember suggesting AVG's SIDE2 emulation mode in the first place and helping with its development, and then enjoying lots of friendly competition in the ensuing years. I really hope that kind of spirit can be maintained, since it tends to fuel continued advancement. This is the exact reason why I wonder why all the aggressive put-downs are necessary (editor's note: in no way is it suggested that said put-downs are endorsed by the hardware developer). :)

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 5