IGNORED

uni-joy

mono

Button on top of the stick - that's probably the number one turnoff for me.  A mate had one of those Wico ones with the flight type stick and button only on the top, nobody wanted to use it.

I've got the 3 swappable handles one with button on top and base - the top button has been used maybe 100 times in 37 years.

7 hours ago, Rybags said:

My preference would be for 2 extra fire buttons using the POT inputs.

Sure, next to nothing supports it but there's potential that it could become a standard, and motivate new developers to use it and of course old games could be modified to take advantage of it.

That’s what Joy2b+ is all about.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

And the more new types of joysticks we get, the more programmer's either have to program games to support, or guess which is the one to support. Joy2B+ has already been around a few years and has hacks and new games that take advantage of it. I've already modded 3 controllers for this standard. I'm not going have a different joystick for every multi-button game. So the SNES controller project (I hate SNES controllers so I can't even remember the name of this one)...that's a negatory...the uni-joy...negatory...I'll stick with the one that came first and already has the most support. Thanks but no thanks. 

Oh, and by the way, the Joy2B+ (what the + stands for in the name) also has a 3-button version, I made one of them too. (one out of the 3)

Edited by Gunstar

SNES controller is called SNACK... and it's amazing :D Playing The Last Squadron is fantastic and also moving around in Final Assault and the 128K 3D raycasting engine demo  - with all the mapped out buttons for weapon cycling, maps, etc etc, (and in the latter demo enabling fast turn and run) - is a joy. love it! 

Edited by Beeblebrox

5 hours ago, Gunstar said:

So the SNES controller project (I hate SNES controllers so I can't even remember the name of this one)...that's a negatory.

There are several SNES controller projects, but just in case you mean "SNACK", it sounds that you are not aware that it is fully Joy2B+ compatible...

So just name that product line the    JOYxB   series   , so long as what follow uses the same programming template the number of buttons is flexible. If someone comes up with a better multi-button joystick that uses less programming or cycles to decode and is the same or more flexible, let them have at it.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

Fire button on top, no no no...

As Rybags said a while back, no one liked the WICO, when I tried one I found myself accidentally making the stick point up in the action of pressing the button..

Fancy a Snack tho...SNES pad is pretty good..

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

As Rybags said a while back, no one liked the WICO, when I tried one I found myself accidentally making the stick point up in the action of pressing the button..

Fancy a Snack tho...SNES pad is pretty good..

Bullshit man - do you people not have working thumbs?

spectravideo_quickshot_ii.jpg

CX-40 makes you use a thumb for fire, but in an awkward position.  Here, I can use trigger finger, or thumb.  Best joystick I ever used - still using my same one from 1985.

• Like 1

Hello guys

17 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Of course - Wico made the infamous butt plug joystick as well.

5SQtSJ0wWZPa1EhDshI4JKL_9UgIT_NqCYbijH5q

Now imagine what that would look like.  Especially in conjunction with a multijoy interface.  And taking into account that most of us have reached an age, where our hips aren't as flexible as they used to be.

Sincerely

Mathy

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

SNES controller is called SNACK... and it's amazing :D Playing The Last Squadron is fantastic and also moving around in Final Assault and the 128K 3D raycasting engine demo  - with all the mapped out buttons for weapon cycling, maps, etc etc, (and in the latter demo enabling fast turn and run) - is a joy. love it! 

I'm glad to hear that it's Joy2B+ compatible, I've no idea if that's the SNES controller project I'm referring too or one of the others, apparently, I thought there was only one. But I have a larger Sega Mega Drive/Genesis controller that is Joy2B+ modified and I guarantee, with never having use the SNES controller for The Last Squadron, that the MD controller is everything for that game that you claim the SNES controller to be, but due to it's larger size it's comfortable in my hands and I don't cramp up like with NES, SMS, 7800 pro&pad, or the smaller version of the Panasonic 3DO controllers. The SNES, being slightly larger, like the early P3DO controllers, is just barely large enough to feel comfortable in my hands, but I already have the SMD/Genesis controller which is even more comfortable to me. And a flight stick, and a 2-button Wico CC joystick, all already modified, so I've no need for an SNES controller  that I have to give a new plug to as well to fit in my 8-bits. 

So "SNACK" as far as I'm concerned IS just the Joy2B+ project, just more work involved creating it than the others. My Sega MD/Genesis controller play FANTASTICALLY with A8 Space Harrier by the way, feels just like I'm playing it on a Genesis, though I prefer the A8 version because I respect it's use of the hardware available, which in what it's accomplishing with the hardware puts all 16-bit versions to shame, bringing them down to size in a sense, even if graphics (at least on the SMD/Genesis) is closer to the arcade.

Edited by Gunstar

14 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

Did you visit at least the uni-joy website? I don't think so. I don't know why do you guys think it's only button on top if it's not. This joystick is for those who like classic joysticks and don't want to overpay for old joysticks on auctions and those who want durable joysticks. You don't have to buy it, but at least don't write unverified information about it. We should be glad that new projects of this and other types for retro-computers are emerging.

Incorrect, I know it has multiple fire buttons, but I personally don't like a button on top..

As for unverified, nope, when I visited the site it had a fire button on top..

Please don't reply with un thought out replies..

11 hours ago, Stephen said:

Bullshit man - do you people not have working thumbs?

CX-40 makes you use a thumb for fire, but in an awkward position.  Here, I can use trigger finger, or thumb.  Best joystick I ever used - still using my same one from 1985.

Bah, you boys from up in the hills have strange thumbs!!

Even if fighter pilots use joysticks with a button on top, I still hate it :)

• Haha 1