Jump to content
Rev

The REAL Fun Amico Conversations Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

According to interviews he decided to invest after his second hands-on.  So somewhere between April 3 and April 16.  However it wasn't final until after the 16th.

If he made videos on the Amico after deciding to invest even, then he should have said something.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Beatley82 said:

Yeah Moon Patrol, my mistake. I think it looks nice. Missile Command is one of my favourites on other systems and of course the arcade, if they get that right could be really good. My concern is it does look a little 'busy'.

I think it looks way too repetitive. The word I used before, simple, was a bad choice. That's not the issues. Simple games can be good. But Moon Patrol is shallow. 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just realized this thread doesn't show up in the Amico forum for me. What happened?

 

I found out what happened - I had it on ignore. Not sure how that happened, but must have missclicked somehow.

Edited by SegaMasterSystemPunk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SegaMasterSystemPunk said:

If he made videos on the Amico after deciding to invest even, then he should have said something.

His hands on video was April 3rd.  He did another Amico video on the 5th.  His next Amico video was the investment announcement on the 19th.  There are a couple of weeks there before the investment window closes.

 

29 minutes ago, SegaMasterSystemPunk said:

I just realized this thread doesn't show up in the Amico forum for me. What happened?

You probably clicked the ignore button by mistake.  Might have to go into your account settings to reverse it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mr_me said:

His hands on video was April 3rd.  He did another Amico video on the 5th.  His next Amico video was the investment announcement on the 19th.  There are a couple of weeks there before the investment window closes.

 

You probably clicked the ignore button by mistake.  Might have to go into your account settings to reverse it.

Ignore the point if you like.

 

As for the topic - Yes, it was ignore. I had already found it. Not sure how it happened, but missclicks do happen, so...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SegaMasterSystemPunk said:

But Moon Patrol is shallow. 

Moon Patrol is anything but shallow.  There are several different planets (levels).  The enemies and obstacles change per planet.  I also seem to remember Tommy saying there is a bonus level similar to the one in Galaga where you can earn bonus points.  How is it shallow to you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, atarifan88 said:

Moon Patrol is anything but shallow.  There are several different planets (levels).  The enemies and obstacles change per planet.  I also seem to remember Tommy saying there is a bonus level similar to the one in Galaga where you can earn bonus points.  How is it shallow to you?

Well, I only go by the game footage I've seen, but everything I've seen looks the same. Static obstacles to jump over.

Static obstacles to shoot. Occational aliens with laserbeams. Is there more to it than that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SegaMasterSystemPunk said:

Well, I only go by the game footage I've seen, but everything I've seen looks the same. Static obstacles to jump over.

Static obstacles to shoot. Occational aliens with laserbeams. Is there more to it than that?

Did you read my post or did you just disregard it before you responded? 🤓

 

1 hour ago, atarifan88 said:

There are several different planets (levels).  The enemies and obstacles change per planet.  I also seem to remember Tommy saying there is a bonus level similar to the one in Galaga where you can earn bonus points.

I will admit the gameplay footage is limited, but I have seen enough to know it's not all the same thing each level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, atarifan88 said:

Did you read my post or did you just disregard it before you responded? 🤓

 

I will admit the gameplay footage is limited, but I have seen enough to know it's not all the same thing each level.

I did read it. You say there are 10 levels, and that the enemies are different, but the levels I have seen in game footage looks like the same thing with very minor different that have no real gameplay impact. Making a game with 10 levels, but it's the same level just with a different color scheme, doesn't make the game deep. How do they differ gameplay wise?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SegaMasterSystemPunk said:

I did read it. You say there are 10 levels, and that the enemies are different, but the levels I have seen in game footage looks like the same thing with very minor different that have no real gameplay impact. Making a game with 10 levels, but it's the same level just with a different color scheme, doesn't make the game deep. How do they differ gameplay wise?

In fairness: it's a classic arcade style game.  Pacman or Dig Dug don't have a ton of gameplay variety, etc. 

 

That said, I really like Pacman 256.  I think it's a great example of putting a twist on a classic game.  They added different powerups to explore like laser beams, etc. 

 

FunBITS: Pac-Man 256 Retools Classic Fun for iOS - TidBITS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tommy2D said:

In fairness: it's a classic arcade style game.  Pacman or Dig Dug don't have a ton of gameplay variety, etc. 

 

That said, I really like Pacman 256.  I think it's a great example of putting a twist on a classic game.  They added different powerups to explore like laser beams, etc. 

 

FunBITS: Pac-Man 256 Retools Classic Fun for iOS - TidBITS

For 1982, Moon Patrol sure was a great game. What I mean is that this facelift, judging by the graphics, is only just that. I bet I could enjoy it for a short moment, but I'd put it away about as soon as I did Flappy Bird. It's not something I'd pay 10$ for, or even 5.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, SegaMasterSystemPunk said:

For 1982, Moon Patrol sure was a great game. What I mean is that this facelift, judging by the graphics, is only just that. I bet I could enjoy it for a short moment, but I'd put it away about as soon as I did Flappy Bird. It's not something I'd pay 10$ for, or even 5.

 

That's fair.  I'm not sure if Moon Patrol has a high score component, which would lead to the whole "easy to play - difficult to master" value. 

 

As an example, I think that I paid $5 for the Steam version of PACMAN 256.  I believe that it is free-with-ads, on mobile. 

 

I've definitely gotten $5 worth of value from it and I'm not very good.  Getting 10,000 pts is super satisfying for me and the world record is something like 150k+, so I have plenty of room to grow.  Lately, I've been playing the game "Sky Kid", which might be a better comparison (since Pacman 256 is sort of an endless runner vs. fixed stages).  

 

You could play Sky Kid, super conservatively, to "beat the game" in the sense of finishing all of the levels - but your score would be low. It makes for sort of an interesting risk-reward dynamic and re-playability within a very simple game.  

 

Obviously, games like Sky Kid and Pacman 256 (and presumably Moon Patrol) are not in the same universe as games like Bio Shock (innovative story, masterful artwork, excellent voice acting, on top of the fun gameplay).  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, SegaMasterSystemPunk said:

 

Well, what else is there then, that could be a system seller?

I think the point is that Amico doesn't have a system seller... Because they intend to put the system itself in that role. The appeal is more "hey, this console grants you a variety of simple games for everyone" instead of "buy this console because with have these specific games". There's a bit of contradiction with the focus on the "exclusives", but as of now that seems more to reassure players about the authenticity of the project.  Will it pay off? Hard to predict. Maybe, if they manage to go through the launch, they will eventually come up with a "system seller" once they've enough resources to do it. 
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

System sellers are very important. Especially since the price is fairly high. No stand out system sellers yet. Though we haven't seen much of Cloudy Mountain or Night Stalker. I don't think Night Stalker will be (though it looks OK). The original game was OK but not extremely good. 

 

My personal opinion is a 4 player reimagined Warlords would have been pretty good. And some sort of puzzle game (or set of games). 

 

It will be interesting for sure to see how everything shakes out in the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ashtonm said:

System sellers are very important. Especially since the price is fairly high. No stand out system sellers yet. Though we haven't seen much of Cloudy Mountain or Night Stalker. I don't think Night Stalker will be (though it looks OK). The original game was OK but not extremely good. 

 

My personal opinion is a 4 player reimagined Warlords would have been pretty good. And some sort of puzzle game (or set of games). 

 

It will be interesting for sure to see how everything shakes out in the end.

I agree that system sellers are important for consoles, but if Amico truly targets "casual players", that makes it a lot harder to predict. "Non-gamer casual players" don't in fact buy systems based on games on average, they just play what's available on their phones/tablets. Indeed sometimes they do buy consoles attracted by a few games only (Animal Crossing on Switch, Wii sports etc etc...), but those games tend to get popular first among gamers, and then catch on with casual players. So far Amico games aren't like that: they're more like a library of games available on your tablet. Which, I think, it's intentional. We'll see if it'll pay off. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Tommy2D said:

That's fair.  I'm not sure if Moon Patrol has a high score component, which would lead to the whole "easy to play - difficult to master" value. 

 

As an example, I think that I paid $5 for the Steam version of PACMAN 256.  I believe that it is free-with-ads, on mobile. 

 

I've definitely gotten $5 worth of value from it and I'm not very good.  Getting 10,000 pts is super satisfying for me and the world record is something like 150k+, so I have plenty of room to grow.  Lately, I've been playing the game "Sky Kid", which might be a better comparison (since Pacman 256 is sort of an endless runner vs. fixed stages).  

 

You could play Sky Kid, super conservatively, to "beat the game" in the sense of finishing all of the levels - but your score would be low. It makes for sort of an interesting risk-reward dynamic and re-playability within a very simple game.  

 

Obviously, games like Sky Kid and Pacman 256 (and presumably Moon Patrol) are not in the same universe as games like Bio Shock (innovative story, masterful artwork, excellent voice acting, on top of the fun gameplay).  

 

 

Highscore can create challenges, especially if you have someone to chase. And games don't need to be complex to be fun. Moon Patrol however, from the footage I've seen, looks dull. But maybe they have a lot of stuff they haven't shown, who knows. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Retrodon said:

I think the point is that Amico doesn't have a system seller... Because they intend to put the system itself in that role. The appeal is more "hey, this console grants you a variety of simple games for everyone" instead of "buy this console because with have these specific games". There's a bit of contradiction with the focus on the "exclusives", but as of now that seems more to reassure players about the authenticity of the project.  Will it pay off? Hard to predict. Maybe, if they manage to go through the launch, they will eventually come up with a "system seller" once they've enough resources to do it. 
 

So, a whole series of games combine into a system seller? Yeah, maybe that could be it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Retrodon said:

I agree that system sellers are important for consoles, but if Amico truly targets "casual players", that makes it a lot harder to predict. "Non-gamer casual players" don't in fact buy systems based on games on average, they just play what's available on their phones/tablets. Indeed sometimes they do buy consoles attracted by a few games only (Animal Crossing on Switch, Wii sports etc etc...), but those games tend to get popular first among gamers, and then catch on with casual players. So far Amico games aren't like that: they're more like a library of games available on your tablet. Which, I think, it's intentional. We'll see if it'll pay off. 

Yeah, the question is, will casual gamers plunge 250 bucks into a console just to get couch co-op? Or will they stay content with playing on their phones and tablets? I mean, most casual players don't pay a dime. They mostly play freemium games with lootboxes and ads when there are quality games that cost almost nothing. Are they suddenly going to spend a lot just for the co-op feature, on games that are actually worse other than that? I'm a bit skeptical about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, SegaMasterSystemPunk said:

Yeah, the question is, will casual gamers plunge 250 bucks into a console just to get couch co-op? Or will they stay content with playing on their phones and tablets? I mean, most casual players don't pay a dime. They mostly play freemium games with lootboxes and ads when there are quality games that cost almost nothing. Are they suddenly going to spend a lot just for the co-op feature, on games that are actually worse other than that? I'm a bit skeptical about that.

That's IE's bet, a bold one. I think 100-150$ would've been a much more appealing price range for literally everyone, the kind of deal that would attract even mildly interested buyers. Unfortunately it's not like that, it'll really come down to how the console will be perceived at launch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Retrodon said:

That's IE's bet, a bold one. I think 100-150$ would've been a much more appealing price range for literally everyone, the kind of deal that would attract even mildly interested buyers. Unfortunately it's not like that, it'll really come down to how the console will be perceived at launch. 

Bold for sure. They have a point that there is a spot in the market to grab from. I'm just not sure this is what will do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SegaMasterSystemPunk said:

Bold for sure. They have a point that there is a spot in the market to grab from. I'm just not sure this is what will do it.

They still need to have compelling software to do that. It isn't just about quantity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

They still need to have compelling software to do that. It isn't just about quantity.

Yeah, I am more than a bit skeptical that the games I've seen footage from will make that many go "I want an Amico".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2021 at 2:11 AM, SegaMasterSystemPunk said:

Yeah, the question is, will casual gamers plunge 250 bucks into a console just to get couch co-op? Or will they stay content with playing on their phones and tablets? I mean, most casual players don't pay a dime. They mostly play freemium games with lootboxes and ads when there are quality games that cost almost nothing. Are they suddenly going to spend a lot just for the co-op feature, on games that are actually worse other than that? I'm a bit skeptical about that.

Casual gamers may not purchase it and I can see why an individual wouldn't even want an Amico.

But families may love it,people that have Wives,children,friends of their own and their children's friends that can gather and play it together. 

That is the whole point of the Amico,to play with others and not specifically by yourself. 

Being that I have friends and family to interact and do that with,the Amico will be great for me.

Either you have completely missed or continue to ignore or gloss over that main point.

The makers of the Amico understand there is already a huge market for individual game players and have stated repeatedly they are not trying to tap into that market.

They are targeting the millions and millions of people that will play together in a group category. 

They will succeed at that I believe! 

At least it will work in my house with my wife and kids,and circle of friends. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...