Jump to content
Rev

The REAL Fun Amico Conversations Thread

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

You mean the Wii crowd? And how the typical reviewers got Wii units? The only reason to not give it to such places is you don't want people who know what they are talking about, talking about it. Give it to people who know nothing about gaming too. If it's as good as the hype it won't tank it to give it to IGN and Ars.

I don't know what the Wii crowd means. It's not about not giving it to typical video game reviewers, it's about reaching a certain audience.  The AARP is a good example, they do a lot of video game reviews so don't think they don't know about videogames.  I'm also thinking people that do tech reviews in general, especially if they have a female audience.  Traditional videogame reviewers are possible too but don't expect anyone that's already shown a negative bias, but you never know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tommy2D said:

I'm a big fan of structured data.  I've been learning more about custom SQL scripts and they are magical, especially if a system doesn't have a great custom query builder.   

I have never used a query builder?  I need to look these up.

 

I use SSMS for ad-hoc queries.  When I worked with Oracle, I used Toad and for MySQL I used SQLyog. Is yog still a thing?  Been MSSQL for the past 13 years.

T-SQL and VB Script.  Need to really update the toolbox!  Used to use C++ way back when.  Now, I could use C# for stored procedures,  but never really needed to.. so I haven't used it. 

 

I like structured data as well...  But I will say, being able to put an array in a "column" is pretty nice.

 

Back in the mssql 7 days.  The number of columns and table width were pretty limiting for certain cases.

I worked on a real estate software that saved "features" in one column.   A01A07B22....     every 3 chars A01 was Attached Garage P13 was an in ground swimming pool etc.

So I had a table that would look at "class" of property Residential, Condo, Land etc.  and provided the lookup for the codes.  But you had to parse that column or write back that column on a change.

It was a bit of a pain.  Were an array would have made that easy.

 

nostalgic for old jobs now.  How sad is that! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Tommy2D said:

I'm a big fan of structured data.  I've been learning more about custom SQL scripts and they are magical, especially if a system doesn't have a great custom query builder.   

Just took a quick look at dbForge.  Other than the brief ACCESS flashback,  that is pretty cool.  I would like this for a database I have know prior knowledge of.

I didn't watch enough yet.  But if I can write most of the sql and then flip to the visual side, this could be helpful for documentation.

Might force me to use better aliases on joined tables etc.  LOL.  I use the shortest representation you can...   Contact  is C, Customer Address is CA etc.  Fuel Unit Consumption  (can get you in trouble)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, mr_me said:

I don't know what the Wii crowd means. It's not about not giving it to typical video game reviewers, it's about reaching a certain audience.  The AARP is a good example, they do a lot of video game reviews so don't think they don't know about videogames.  I'm also thinking people that do tech reviews in general, especially if they have a female audience.  Traditional videogame reviewers are possible too but don't expect anyone that's already shown a negative bias, but you never know.

Most people think video game journalism is barely journalism at all. The last Ars Technica article on the Amico was littered with errors and obviously poorly researched and fact -checked. So, yes, it is better to give it to media that reaches out to their target audience rather than places like IGN and Ars Technica, that experience shows, don't know what they're talking about. Also, they have different ideas about what people will want than the target audience media. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has all been interesting at times but I have to say that I'm done with following any further Amico developments. I think it's all going to end up fizzling out in a very long drawn out process ending with liquidation or a business pivot. Thanks to everyone for the conversation to date.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

I still haven't seen the "September" gameplay videos and there's only 4 more days in October.

It'd be refreshing to get a glimpse of some new material. New games entirely or at least updated content from ones we haven't heard about in a year or two.

 

Exactly one month ago Tommy said "the thing we've been working on the most is a new family trailer for our target audience." We haven't seen that trailer yet, either. I believe that one is meant as a commercial with actors, rather than a reaction montage like all the others have been this year.

 

And then he said "after those videos (Boomers montage and family trailer) we will also start releasing in depth gameplay videos. We currently have 10 that we've started working on."

 

(I assume when people were asking for more gameplay videos they were after simple, raw and impromptu footage in this era of Twitch and live streams, not time-intensive video productions that require a lengthy edit process.)

Edited by MattPilz
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MattPilz said:

It'd be refreshing to get a glimpse of some new material. New games entirely or at least updated content from ones we haven't heard about in a year or two.

 

Exactly one month ago Tommy said "the thing we've been working on the most is a new family trailer for our target audience." We haven't seen that trailer yet, either. I believe that one is meant as a commercial with actors, rather than a reaction montage like all the others have been this year.

 

And then he said "after those videos (Boomers montage and family trailer) we will also start releasing in depth gameplay videos. We currently have 10 that we've started working on."

 

(I assume when people were asking for more gameplay videos they were after simple, raw and impromptu footage in this era of Twitch and live streams, not time-intensive video productions that require a lengthy edit process.)

If you do that, trust me, people will complain about how they aren't "professional" enough looking. That they need to "up their game" if they want to be taken seriously. I've seen it before, even with the CollectorVision Phoenix, which was a homebrew effort, people complained the commercials weren't "professional" enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Swami said:

If you do that, trust me, people will complain about how they aren't "professional" enough looking. That they need to "up their game" if they want to be taken seriously. I've seen it before, even with the CollectorVision Phoenix, which was a homebrew effort, people complained the commercials weren't "professional" enough.

So what? Some will say that, others will say "finally".

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is entirely possible for them to show both the game footage and do it in a professional manner. Why are people acting like that is such and impossible task?

 

That sounds like people don't think they are able to do it professionally or that it is asking too much of them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, mr_me said:

It's not the same at all.  With a celebrity endorsement you have no idea how the celebrity feels about the product or if they know anything about the product.  They get paid regardless of how it performs.  If you didn't know the celebrity was paid and only found out after, and without knowing what the celebrity honestly thinks, the credibility of the endorsement drops.  And this is the issue ethically as well as with the FTC (don't know about SEC).  Does it change the credibility of the endorsement.

 

The investors investment closed a few months ago after another public showing of Astrosmash and Shark Shark.  The investor would have done due diligence before investing.  Now if what was shown at the Crayola event was not what was expected it would be different.  However, by all accounts that wasn't the case.  So the question is does her credibility change after finding out she is an investor.  If anything, knowing she put her own money behind the product only increased her credibility.  Imagine if you found out the celebrity endorser was not paid for the endorsement but rather they put their own money in to the product.  Would that not change things.

Doesn't matter when it closed, she invested way before.

 

Also, bad take. I've got investments in things  don't like simply because I believe it's an investment that will pay off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Swami said:

If you do that, trust me, people will complain about how they aren't "professional" enough looking.

The raw gameplay videos they shared 1-2 years ago were well received, 94% or so positive reception rate (Astrosmash, Finnigan Fox, Breakout). They weren't something that needed intricate editing; I've seen much more criticism about the teasers and trailers that have a lot of cuts and excessive editing.

 

What I don't think we need is more gameplay footage of any we've already seen from Intellivision's official videos and events. Interested to see titles that have never been demonstrated live or captured on video, hopefully many that aren't part of the initial 14 to give the community more to talk about and anticipate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, 1980gamer said:

That was supposed to be a joke.  I have read a lot of what you have posted and I would it as fair.  Even if I don't agree with it 100% I can see wear you are coming from.

 

Yes, this is a distraction.  Yes, they could have done better.

 

But I gave a bunch of examples covering a wide range of places you will be "sold" something.

My point was: If you think ANY ad, testimonial, "info"mercial etc. is not putting THE PRODUCT in the best possible light...  Wow, facebook will probably be a giant someday!   OH :(   

 

Also.. "you" in the "If you think" is not referring specifically to YOU.  It is a figure of speech. 

 

I have always known ads were BS.  But I was shocked/pissed when I was shown the different question provided to the given answer.  VERY DISTURBING. 

 

This is not the same thing as an ad during a commercial break on TV. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not only has the system been delayed multiple times.  The gameplay videos now have also. Blah. Really need to show some stuff.  It's been a long time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Swami said:

Most people think video game journalism is barely journalism at all. The last Ars Technica article on the Amico was littered with errors and obviously poorly researched and fact -checked. So, yes, it is better to give it to media that reaches out to their target audience rather than places like IGN and Ars Technica, that experience shows, don't know what they're talking about. Also, they have different ideas about what people will want than the target audience media. 

Welcome back from ignoring this topic!

What where these errors?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Jacob Livingston said:

This has all been interesting at times but I have to say that I'm done with following any further Amico developments. I think it's all going to end up fizzling out in a very long drawn out process ending with liquidation or a business pivot. Thanks to everyone for the conversation to date.

Nooooooo! Stay with us!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SegaMasterSystemPunk said:

Doesn't matter when it closed, she invested way before.

 

Also, bad take. I've got investments in things  don't like simply because I believe it's an investment that will pay off. 

Sure it matters.  If she doesn't like what she sees she can get her money back, up until it closes.  As you know, once you've invested in a stock, it goes down, you're selling at a loss.

 

Doesn't matter if an investor personally isn't interested in the games.  They must believe others will be interested.  Otherwise, they wouldn't be risking their money.

 

I do agree that they should disclose investors in their video.  People should know this.  I just don't think it lessens her opinion.  Just like I wouldn't want to discount the opinions of people wearing Amico or Intellivision tshirts.  Each person brings a certain perspective.

 

3 minutes ago, ashtonm said:

Not only has the system been delayed multiple times.  The gameplay videos now have also. Blah. Really need to show some stuff.  It's been a long time. 

I understand people want to see more gameplay.  However, from the company point of view, they really don't need to at this time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Sure it matters.  If she doesn't like what she sees she can get her money back, up until it closes.  As you know, once you've invested in a stock, it goes down, you're selling at a loss.

 

Doesn't matter if an investor personally isn't interested in the games.  They must believe others will be interested.  Otherwise, they wouldn't be risking their money.

 

I do agree that they should disclose investors in their video.  People should know this.  I just don't think it lessens her opinion.  Just like I wouldn't want to discount the opinions of people wearing Amico or Intellivision tshirts.  Each person brings a certain perspective.

The bolded part is the only thing that matters. If they do that, then everyone can form their own opinion based on the facts they need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Just like I wouldn't want to discount the opinions of people wearing Amico or Intellivision tshirts.  Each person brings a certain perspective.

 

Not saying I disagree with you or anything, but can't help but wonder how the flipside of that would play out.   If someone puts together a positive video featuring people with positive words to say, but they're decked out in pro-Amico gear, we wouldn't discount their opinion just because of what they're wearing.

 

However, if someone made a negative video featuring people with negative opinions, but they're wearing a shirt that says "Fuck Amico!" and a hat that says "Amico = Biggest Scam Ever!!!" would we treat their opinions as 100% legit as well, or should we discount it as maybe having a wee bit of bias?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

Not saying I disagree with you or anything, but can't help but wonder how the flipside of that would play out.   If someone puts together a positive video featuring people with positive words to say, but they're decked out in pro-Amico gear, we wouldn't discount their opinion just because of what they're wearing.

 

However, if someone made a negative video featuring people with negative opinions, but they're wearing a shirt that says "Fuck Amico!" and a hat that says "Amico = Biggest Scam Ever!!!" would we treat their opinions as 100% legit as well, or should we discount it as maybe having a wee bit of bias?

It's not as simple as that. If they have sound arguments for their position, then that's worth listening to. If they don't though, then the gear only adds to the impression of them not being honest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, SegaMasterSystemPunk said:

The bolded part is the only thing that matters. If they do that, then everyone can form their own opinion based on the facts they need.

It's for the company's benefit that viewers see people who believe in the product so much they invested their own money.

 

19 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

...

However, if someone made a negative video featuring people with negative opinions, but they're wearing a shirt that says "Fuck Amico!" and a hat that says "Amico = Biggest Scam Ever!!!" would we treat their opinions as 100% legit as well, or should we discount it as maybe having a wee bit of bias?

It takes a special person to wear a t-shirt like that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

Not saying I disagree with you or anything, but can't help but wonder how the flipside of that would play out.   If someone puts together a positive video featuring people with positive words to say, but they're decked out in pro-Amico gear, we wouldn't discount their opinion just because of what they're wearing.

 

However, if someone made a negative video featuring people with negative opinions, but they're wearing a shirt that says "Fuck Amico!" and a hat that says "Amico = Biggest Scam Ever!!!" would we treat their opinions as 100% legit as well, or should we discount it as maybe having a wee bit of bias?

 

Having a few people who appear to be fans or even "super fans" of the brand, in a video, is fine.  It shows that some people remember the brand fondly. If nearly everyone in a video appears to have an established brand affinity, then you wonder about the appeal beyond the fan demographic.  

 

Here's another analogy: A Star Trek convention probably isn't going to attract people beyond highly devoted Star Trek fans, so you would expect focused marketing to appeal to that specific demographic.  A new Star Trek movie is going to have a totally different strategy, since they want to appeal to a wider audience.  It seems like the Amico wants to play both sides of the coin, which is understandable but challenging.  

 

I haven't watched the Crayola experience video but the "Boomers" one struck me as a combination of established fans and other people who made unusual comments like "They are going to fly off the shelves!".   The Utah video seemed considerably better to me. If they are going to continue with testimonials those seemed far more "natural". 

 

I know people got skeptical about the "Roblox" comment but that could have easily just been a kid who was excited to be on camera. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, mr_me said:

It's for the company's benefit that viewers see people who believe in the product so much they invested their own money.

So then Intellivision screwed up doubly, since they both missed an opportunity, and also put themselves in a spot where they are taking a lot of criticism.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SegaMasterSystemPunk said:



Dank meme, but the subs were funny!

This whole scene to me is funny: A guy whose moniker features one of the worst major game consoles of all time posts videos trashing another future console in a thread under a banner for that console. 
 

If this is the joke, I think you are a genius. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...