IGNORED

New apple console might be coming...

13 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

Interesting, but considering how locked down Apple is I am not sure it this will be successful.  Granted, the Switch has been very successful because Nintendo, unlike almost every other company save Sega (and I guess MS to some degree now), have a crap ton of gaming properties to pull from.  If/when this comes out, it will have to seen just what the bring to the table that is different that what one can get on a Switch, Steam Deck, and just on any mobile platform (iOS included).

They also have apple tv which can use a controller since the guts of the more recent ones are fairly up there with spec possibilities like the tablets and stuff.  They technically already have a console, problem is, their wins in game sales are just rolled into app sales because of a captive audience using their phones and tablets, most of them would not buy yet another apple device just to play video games on the level of what Nintendo currently does, as they're not going to make some insane architecture on the level of Sony/MS because they refuse to sell at a loss.  I just don't see them peddling a $1000 console thinking their adaptive mobile games and some unique ones, or just ports from the other guys will cut it.  Sure the Apple core nitwits would probably get sucked in, great for a few million sales... then they're at the mercy of cheapskate majority of console gamers who won't touch that price with a 10ft pole.

• Like 3

Buy a clip-on controller for your iPhone and subscribe to Apple Arcade (their Xbox Game Pass)...

And Bingo!  There's your Apple Switch...

18 hours ago, Tanooki said:

They also have apple tv which can use a controller since the guts of the more recent ones are fairly up there with spec possibilities like the tablets and stuff.  They technically already have a console, problem is, their wins in game sales are just rolled into app sales because of a captive audience using their phones and tablets, most of them would not buy yet another apple device just to play video games on the level of what Nintendo currently does, as they're not going to make some insane architecture on the level of Sony/MS because they refuse to sell at a loss. 

Apple TV is seen as more of a video streaming device instead of a console or even a microconsole.  As I said there are games from the Apple Arcade subscription in addition to the usual freeium games but they're more for a casual audience than what the "hardcore" stuff offered on traditional game systems.  It would depend if anyone wants to play mobile games on a big flatscreen TV or not.

(My mom subscribes to the Apple One service and got Arcade subscription included so she got some easy-to-play-and-nonviolent games to play on her TV.  I helped her pick out an Xbox controller which made playing games way better than the Siri remote.)

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/18/2021 at 9:10 PM, RARusk said:

I thought they already had a console: the iPhone.

This is the answer. Why would Apple need to make a console, when anyone can snap on a controller or pair with bluetooth? The AppleTV is a good TV console, the iPhone or iPad (and now M1 Macs) are good portables. I don't trust the source of this info. Besides, they just pasted an Apple logo onto an image of a Nintendo Switch. 

iPod Touch hasn't been refreshed since 2019. That's where I would look for a new low-end games focused machine from Apple. I'll believe it when I see it though, the rumor sites are full of wishful thinking.

https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/ipod-touch/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 11/21/2021 at 2:37 AM, BawesomeBurf said:

...and people will wait hours in line for it! And then they'll wait again for the next slightly upgraded model. 

It'll be called i-Box and get on the "i-Box Upgrade Program" starting from $35.33/month² and you'll get a new i-Box every year!

² Program available for i-Box mini, i-Box, i-Box Pro, and i-Box Pro Max. Available to qualified customers with a credit check and eligible U.S. credit or debit card. Requires a 24-month installment loan with a 0% APR from Citizens Bank, N.A. (subject to any interest, fees, or other costs payable to the card issuer). Full terms apply.

• Haha 3