IGNORED

Crazy Climber Redux

Thank you for sharing your review.

The graphics appear arcade-like and colorful. The sounds are kind of nice. I like the arcade font. It seems like it has that old-school “home version” thing going for it. But I have to agree with TPR and Golden Galaxies: A lot is lacking.

Could it be said that the game is unfinished, or that it deserved more input from the fans? I truly think that in 2021, an arcade conversion like this deserves to have its defining and unique dual-controller functionality translated 1:1. 

I did not purchase this. I am commenting because I was 90% ready to back this. I PM’d Milli and I asked if he would like to use my box art design templates. At first he expressed interest, but when I asked about working out a [modest] licensing deal, he “dropped the call” without further response. This is not the first time I’ve gotten a dropped call from Milli. 

I just think it’s a shame, because there was clear effort put into this game. I think that if the artist/producer of this game had been more receptive to fan input and constructive criticism, the end product would have been greatly improved.

I think all ColecoVision fans deserve a big hand for supporting this and believing in the product. Perhaps someone with the source code will improve upon it and re-release it. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, goldengalaxiesgaming said:

It's not very good.

Hmm, so you post a review but only review about 60% of the product. That suggests to me bias.

I agree with you that the front of the box design could have been improved. The text on the back of the box should have been part of the manual and not a separate card as you suggest.

Seems to me that you did not read the manual before rushing to make a video and post it here.

You mention the Editor but then completely ignore it in your review. See point made previously as now I know that you did not read the manual.

You choose to play with a single controller setup, but then rush through the gameplay so those like me that are interesting in watching your review don’t have much to garner from it.

A review of a game should review ALL facets of the game but you state that you don’t want to pull out your Roller Controller in order to review the two controller option. That is pure laziness, ignorance and suggests a hit job in my opinion. This seems very familiar to me as to how a number of publications reviewed the ADAM back in 1983/84.

Yes, the crooked label is sloppy and more attention to detail needs to be placed on QC.

The cartridge case and PCB are made and sold by PKK. While I don’t personally like them, it was the choice of the developer to use and I respect that choice just the same as I respect the choice of other Homebrewers who have used the PKK cartridge case and PCB.

While I have the digital rom, I haven’t had the time to try it out yet nor read the manual. With that said I will wait to pass my own judgement on the game and not let this rushed and incomplete review of your’s create any undue bias when I try it out for myself.

5 hours ago, TPR said:

I give this review a 10/10. :D

Pretty much sums it up.

This coming from someone that worked in the industry. Would you have liked a product you worked on reviewed in such a manner.

Please refer to my review of the review of the game and read what it says, not what you think it says.

12 minutes ago, NIAD said:

This coming from someone that worked in the industry. Would you have liked a product you worked on reviewed in such a manner.

Please refer to my review of the review of the game and read what it says, not what you think it says.

I worked on plenty of crappy games over the years. The difference between myself and Crazy Climber Redux though, is that I'm able to recognize when something didn't live up to expectations, listen to feedback, learn from it, and improve. Without being able to do that, you'll never become a success.  I shipped over ten million copies of games in my time, so I guess I must have done something right. ?‍♀️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phattyboombatty said:

The graphics appear arcade-like and colorful. The sounds are kind of nice. I like the arcade font. It seems like it has that old-school “home version” thing going for it. But I have to agree with TPR and Golden Galaxies: A lot is lacking.

It has all the visual elements to make a great looking Crazy Climber game.  Just none of the game mechanics at all. 

1 hour ago, TPR said:

I worked on plenty of crappy games over the years. The difference between myself and Crazy Climber Redux though, is that I'm able to recognize when something didn't live up to expectations, listen to feedback, learn from it, and improve. Without being able to do that, you'll never become a success.  I shipped over ten million copies of games in my time, so I guess I must have done something right. ?‍♀️

So you stick with your 100% agreement of goldengalaxiesgaming INCOMPLETE review? I said the review was about 60% complete, but after watching it again, 50% would be a much better percentage.

Nuff said… your not worth wasting any further time having a discussion about this as your bias towards the developer is beyond apparent.

DISCLAIMER: There is no bias on my part one way or another as Milli and I have had our own back and forth exchanges over the years.

2 hours ago, phattyboombatty said:

Sharing a review is one thing but perhaps purposely only doing a partial review as the reviewer has done is horse shit.

This review smells of the tactics that the New York Times uses when they post some earth shattering story that creates a huge uproar. In time things are slowly discovered to be inaccurate or blatantly false, but the damage is done. Then months later they will post a small correction that usually is buried somewhere, but no one cares anymore because they have all moved on to the next big story.

Anyhow, it’s been far too long since we have conversed. I hope that you and yours are doing well.

1 hour ago, TPR said:

It has all the visual elements to make a great looking Crazy Climber game.  Just none of the game mechanics at all. 

I didn’t ask about bad products that you may have been a part of developing and releasing.

Read my first reply post to you and stop trying to steer the conversation away from an obviously incomplete review.

29 minutes ago, NIAD said:

your not worth wasting any further time

Just now, NIAD said:

I didn’t ask about bad products that you may have been a part of developing and releasing.

Read my first reply post to you and stop trying to steer the conversation away from an obviously incomplete review.

?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♀️

7 hours ago, NIAD said:

7 hours ago, TPR said:

?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♀️

No surprise here… 100% exposed.

10 hours ago, NIAD said:

Hmm, so you post a review but only review about 60% of the product. That suggests to me bias.

I agree with you that the front of the box design could have been improved. The text on the back of the box should have been part of the manual and not a separate card as you suggest.

Seems to me that you did not read the manual before rushing to make a video and post it here.

You mention the Editor but then completely ignore it in your review. See point made previously as now I know that you did not read the manual.

You choose to play with a single controller setup, but then rush through the gameplay so those like me that are interesting in watching your review don’t have much to garner from it.

A review of a game should review ALL facets of the game but you state that you don’t want to pull out your Roller Controller in order to review the two controller option. That is pure laziness, ignorance and suggests a hit job in my opinion. This seems very familiar to me as to how a number of publications reviewed the ADAM back in 1983/84.

Yes, the crooked label is sloppy and more attention to detail needs to be placed on QC.

The cartridge case and PCB are made and sold by PKK. While I don’t personally like them, it was the choice of the developer to use and I respect that choice just the same as I respect the choice of other Homebrewers who have used the PKK cartridge case and PCB.

While I have the digital rom, I haven’t had the time to try it out yet nor read the manual. With that said I will wait to pass my own judgement on the game and not let this rushed and incomplete review of your’s create any undue bias when I try it out for myself.

Using the Roller Controller and two joysticks would not improve the gameplay. I know because I saw Retro Games Fan cover this in his video. Plus I have been playing video games for 40 years and know what I like. This is not a hit job and it was not rushed. I am also not lazy or ignorant. Game reviews can be whatever I want them to be, it's my small YouTube channel and I was simply trying to provide info and my opinion. I explain what the editor does but that doesn't mean I have to demonstrate it. Where are you getting these rules to what should be included in a game review? To sum it up, I think this game is bad and wish I had my money back.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, phattyboombatty said:

Could it be said that the game is unfinished, or that it deserved more input from the fans? I truly think that in 2021, an arcade conversion like this deserves to have its defining and unique dual-controller functionality translated 1:1. 

I did not purchase this. I am commenting because I was 90% ready to back this. I PM’d Milli and I asked if he would like to use my box art design templates. At first he expressed interest, but when I asked about working out a [modest] licensing deal, he “dropped the call” without further response. This is not the first time I’ve gotten a dropped call from Milli. 

I just think it’s a shame, because there was clear effort put into this game. I think that if the artist/producer of this game had been more receptive to fan input and constructive criticism, the end product would have been greatly improved.

I think all ColecoVision fans deserve a big hand for supporting this and believing in the product. Perhaps someone with the source code will improve upon it and re-release it. 

I agree that more input, testing, and even waiting for this would have helped. It does seem unfinished.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, goldengalaxiesgaming said:

Using the Roller Controller and two joysticks would not improve the gameplay. I know because I saw Retro Games Fan cover this in his video. Plus I have been playing video games for 40 years and know what I like. This is not a hit job and it was not rushed. I am also not lazy or ignorant. Game reviews can be whatever I want them to be, it's my small YouTube channel and I was simply trying to provide info and my opinion. I explain what the editor does but that doesn't mean I have to demonstrate it. Where are you getting these rules to what should be included in a game review? To sum it up, I think this game is bad and wish I had my money back.

You know what about how the two-controller option works? You did not read the manual nor did you actually try it out for yourself or for the video.

I have been playing video games for 45 years and like your 40 years of playing video games, that doesn’t mean that you or I can write or video a good review of a product.

What “you like” or dislike is very subjective. Put together a complete, honest and thorough review of a product and I will even be much more likely to listen to what you have to say as will others. Put out an incomplete review such as you have done and I will question it and question your motives.

Small or large YouTube channel has no bearing. I wish you the best in your small endeavor but definitely will never visit it after this review.

Fair enough re the editor function.

Getting a little defensive there re your rules comment. If you are goi g to post a review, do a complete review to benefit all those that will watch the review. A little decency and honesty goes a long way.

There’s been a decent number of lemons released for the CV in the last two decades by multiple Homebrewers that I wish I could get my money back for. As far as CCR, I will sit down and read the manual and the give it a lengthy play before I make up my own mind if it is good, bad or somewhere in between.

On 10/20/2021 at 5:01 PM, Tursi said:

Dude, just do your own review and be done with it. ;)

I'm sure this will be a MAJOR disappointment for some, but I am not going to do a full review of CCR, but I will pass along some findings after giving it a thorough playing and also trying a couple other versions that TPR mentioned... the Atari 2600 version called Crazy Climber and a newer MSX Homebrew called No Way Back.

- First off, CCR, in my opinion is a good to very good game, not great, but not the travesty that some are making it out to be.

- While the single controller option does change the FEEL of the game, their really isn't a lot that I feel can be done to remedy this setup. As was mentioned, the 2600 version uses an UP and then DOWN play mechanic to move up, but having to press DOWN in order to complete the move everytime becomes tedious. A better option would have been to just press UP and then release to move the character up and then repeat. BTW, keep this in mind as you continue to read my next point.

- If you choose the Dual Controller option (options 4, 5 and 6), you can use ONLY 1 controller to play if you want. The play mechanic using this control method is to press UP and then release to move Cecil up. Try it, you might like it.

- The dual controller option takes a lot of practice and you will get frustrated at first, but will get the feel for it. There is a circle indicator at the bottom right that is displayed a 1/4th at a time as you make the 4 correct inputs on both controllers. It is a somewhat difficult to keep your eye on this indicator and the play area at the same time, but again with practice, you will not have to look at it. I think a better option re this indicator would have been to have Cecil's shirt change colors when each of the 4 inputs where made correctly so that your attention stays completely focused on Cecil and the play area.

- I do miss the people coming to the window to drop a pot as that allows some time to plan how to avoid the falling pot.

- The MSX version called No Way Back uses the SAME control method as CCR when playing CCR with 1 controller!!!!!!!!! TPR brought this version of CC to our attention in a post elsewhere, but I do not recall him mentioned this fact... maybe I missed him mentioning it, but I'm pretty sure I didn't. See the No Way Back manual pic provided below for the controls. In the little that I played this version, I enjoyed it but noticed a couple times when windows closed on my fingers, it had no affect. Also, the scrolling was very hard to look at... can you say seizure inducing. I will definitely play this version some more, but not for long periods of time.

- TPR mentioned that the Gorilla was missing from CCR. I haven't gotten to the last city, but the manual states who the Boss is as can be seen in the picture below.

- Oh, what about the box with that arcade cabinet picture on the front. Well, did anyone notice that the marquee shows "Crazy Climber Redux", the side of the cabinet has the 8 Bit Milli Games logo on it and the screen displayed is of CCR, not the arcade game. If not, reference the picture below.

- The Level Editor being replaced with a Game Editor, in my opinion, was a lot better choice. I know that I would have never used the Level Editor just like I have never used the Level Editor in Boxxle and can only assume that hardly anyone else has as well seeing as there has never been any mention or video shared.

- SGM sound probably should have never been discussed as a stretch goal so hopefully that will go down as a lesson learned.

- Last but not least. I followed all of Milli's posts about CCR and never did I think from watching them that I was backing and purchasing a 1:1 port of CC, but I did realize that this was going to be Milli's "vision" of CC for the ColecoVision... a Redux.

CCR Bosses.jpg

No Back Down.jpg

ccr-box-front_1.jpg

Edited by NIAD
  • Thanks 1