IGNORED

Atari 1040STFM with 68030/50mhz and 72megs dram

Here's a link to a video I did on this machine.

The 1040stfm has:

Exxos 4meg ST ram

Storm 8meg (ALTRAM + Tos Decodeer)

Cloudy (Dual Tos board, flashable, presently with Tos 2.06 and Emutos 1.0.1

TerribleFire TF536 Accelerator with 64meg TT ram, 68030 at 50mhz, onboard dual ide port.

Gotek with Flashfloppy firmware, OLED and click mod.

Jeff

• Like 8

1 hour ago, bfollowell said:

I'd be worried about backwards compatibility with all those "extras", but holy crapola, what a beautifully upgraded machine! This is one of those do it because you can, not because you need it, instances.

Thanks for sharing!

I second this comment... What do you do with it?  Browse the rudimentary web (via Frogfind or something).... but all cool as all get-up.

On 10/20/2021 at 3:43 PM, bfollowell said:

I'd be worried about backwards compatibility with all those "extras", but holy crapola, what a beautifully upgraded machine! This is one of those do it because you can, not because you need it, instances.

Thanks for sharing!

It actually runs a whole lot of bootable games.  I'm surprised and pleased.  You can turn off the MMU with a switch, as well as the CPU's cache memory with another switch.  A combination of these can get a game running that wouldn't with the system going full-throttle.

Some games fail just because faster CPU, or will be to fast, so unplayable. Other common problem is stackframe of CPU - it is different at 68010/20/30 than in 68000. Only way to make it work is correcting code of that SW. And less known is pipeline problem - if code does self modding during run, and it is written only few bytes ahead, CPU will execute old content, because it is already in it's pipeline. Again, only code correction makes it work.

No wonder that accelerators need switch off option - otherwise plenty of SW will not work.  Maybe the real question is: what SW is what benefits from higher speed ? What is users real benefit (except bragging with it ? ) ?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DarkLord said:

Just curious - why do you need 2 separate sources for ALT (TT style) RAM?

It seems he is using STorm for decoding TOS2.06. I think the 8MB Alt-Ram can't be deactivated on that. He should really try to use something else to decode TOS2.06 and get rid of the bottleneck. Maybe he runs it without TF536 sometimes and wants som Alt-Ram for something? 

15 hours ago, DarkLord said:

Just curious - why do you need 2 separate sources for ALT (TT style) RAM?

Thanks.

The decision-making went like this:  Atari 1040stfm (Repair with gotek).  The object was to install TF536, but I couldn't know that it was actually going to work, so I did incremental upgrades as well which would benefit a machine with a 68000 cpu.  The ST ram (4meg) and Altram, served that purpose, as well as the altram board supplying the tos decoder.  When it ALL actually worked, I recognized that the 8meg of altram could be a bottleneck and decided to assign the entire 8meg as a ramdisk.  That will occupy the ram and the system won't try to use it for any other purpose.

Presently the machine is running Mint 1.19 and is markedly faster and more stable than the multitos I was running in the last demo.  I've actually been able to make the machine use over 32megs of ram in running applications!  I'll post a new demo soon.

Best,

Jeff

• Like 2