IGNORED

Season 12 Starts ~ November 4

Vocelli

My fellow Atari Age High Score Club Players:

It has been a rough and difficult 2 months for me. I own a restaurant and finding employees has been impossible. So, I have been working non-stop the last 2 months.

The good news is that we will be starting Season 12 on Nov 4, 2021

While I do have the outline of Season 12 ready, I still need some ideas on which games you would like to play in Season 12.

My only criteria is that it is a game that hasn't been played in 3 years.

Season 12 will start with Arcade Games!

We will have Medal Winner picks!

Homebrews!

And much more.

Plus, the Medal Brackets may be different this season (they have gotten a bit stale lately)

I may not have time for creative Bonus Points every week... but I will certainly have some bonus points available.

Just Post your game choices in this thread and prepare for Nov 4th!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

I feel for you, every restaurant I go to is begging for workers.  Anyone that claims there aren't any jobs is just hiding in the basement.  The company I work at has 500+ openings and lots of incentives to try and get people in the door currently.

Is there an easy way to see what games have been played in the past 3 years?  It looks like the database is only through season 8.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Atari_Warlord said:

Is there an easy way to see what games have been played in the past 3 years?  It looks like the database is only through season 8.

I would like to know this as well.

and I'm really looking forward to this experience. (my first time taking part in this kind of online fun)

• Like 1

Here's an alphabetized list of games played in seasons 9, 10, and 11.

I compiled this list reviewing previous forum posts.  I may have missed some of the bonus games.  Please feel free to check my work :)

GAME SEASON
Adventures of Tron 10
Astroblast 10
Atlantis 11
Basketball 9
Bermuda Triangle 9
Berzerk 11
Birthday Mania 11
Bowling 9
California Games - BMX Racing 11
Canyon Bomber 9
Centipede 9
Circus Atari 10
City Defence 10
Commando 9
Condor Attack 10
Congo Bongo 11
Cosmic Commuter 10
Cosmic Corridor 11
Crackpots 10
Dark Cavern 11
Deathtrap 10
Dishaster 11
Doggone It! 10
Dolphin 10
Donkey Kong 9
Donkey Kong Jr 11
Dragonfire 11
Dragons Decent 9
Dragster 10
Enduro 10
Espial 10
Fantastic Voyage 9
Fireball 11
Frankensteins Monster 9
Frogger 11
Frogs and Flies 10
Frontline 9
GI Joe Cobra Strike 9
Gorf 9
H.E.R.O 9
Halloween 9
Joust 10
Jr. Pac-Man 10
Jungle Hunt 11
Kaboom 9
Kool-Aid Man 10
Laser Gates 10
M*A*S*H* 11
Millipede 11
Moon Patrol 11
Mountain King 11
Ms Galactopus 10
Ms. Pac-Man 10
No Escape 11
OINK! 9
Pac-Man 10
Pac-Man 4k 9
Phoenix 9
Picnic 10
Pitfall II: Lost Caverns 11
Plaque Attack 11
Polaris 9
Pole Position 10
Pooyan 11
Pressure Cooker 9
Rescue Terra I 10
River Raid 10
Robot City 11
Seaweed Assault 9
Sky Diver 9
Solar Fox 9
Solar Storm 11
Spiderdroid 10
Spiderman 10
Spikes Peak 11
Spitfire Attack 9
Stack Game 11
Stampede 10
Star Trek: SOS 11
Star Voyager 11
Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back 11
Star Wars: ROTS Death Star Battle 9
Stargate/Defender II 10
Strategy X 11
Street Racer 10
Subterranea 11
Super Cobra 11
The End 2600 11
Thunderground 9
Tower of Rubble 11
Tutankham 9
Venture 11
Warlords 10
Winter Games - Ice Hockey 9
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 5

Of the games not shown, I'd love to see Beamrider, Track and Field, Boxing (activision), Pitfall and communist mutants from space. Dig dug, Klax and centipede would be good choices too. But if I was allowed to actually pick one, it would definitely be Beamrider (followed by Track and Field and Klax).

As an aside, it's a shame I missed season 10. It looks like most of my favourites were in that one. Ms Pac Man, Pac Man Jr, Enduro, Stargate , Stampede , River Raid, Hero, Pole position, Crackpots and even circus atari would all make a list of my favourites.

Finally of course, a big thank you to Vocelli for organising the HSC (or "old game club" as my wife calls it!). It's great fun, and I'm really looking forward to the next season starting

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Absalon said:

Some more options:

demon attack
fast food
fatal run
gyruss
qbert
seaquest

I knew there was a good one I was missing. I'd love to play Demon Attack on HSC. Fatal Run is a good left field shout too

Are we to assume that "3 years" means any game played since whatever season was active October/November 2018, or is it just the past three seasons?  In a previous post where I listed games, I assumed it meant only the last three seasons.

Since "Arcade Games" is the only specific category listed (aside from medal winner picks and homebrews), here are some games I'd like to see:

• Asteroids - I suggest game #32, or some other variation with "fast" speed and no extra lives so we don't have too many folks hitting rollage.  Also use difficulty "A" so satellites appear.
  • Battlezone
  • Dig Dug
  • Galaxian
  • Gyruss - I seem to recall that the difficulty switch enables/disables meteors, but I don't see this referenced in the manual.  We should play a variation with meteors enabled.
  • Q*Bert - Difficulty "A" so red balls are present. 

Since I am already getting one of the medal picks (where I selected a game not included in my above list), I completely understand if these suggestions have less influence than suggestions from others.

Another change I'd like to see is when multiple players achieve "rollage", take the number of lives in reserve into account in the rankings.  For example, a rollage score with three lives in reserve ranks higher than a rollage score with two lives in reserve.  This only works for games that display reserve lives the same time as the score.

Edited by kermit73
Edit: Cleaned up some grammar.
  • Like 2

My suggestions for Season 12 will be (games in bold mean strong suggestions)

Assault

Asteroids (Game 32)

Beany Bopper

Buck Rogers: Planet of Zoom

Cakewalk

Challenge of Nexar

China Syndrome

Coconuts

Colony 7 (Homebrew)

Communist Mutants from Space

Deadly Duck (Game 4)

Draconian (Homebrew)

Fast Food

Fatal Run

Galagon (Homebrew)

Galaxian (Game 9)

Great Escape

Guardian (Paddle)

James Bond 007

Kabobber

Killer Satellites

Laser Blast (Game 4)

Malagai (Game 2)

Marauder

Mega Force

Midnight Magic

Mr. Do's Castle

Off The Wall

Pigs in Space

Riddle of the Sphinx

Robin Hood

Secret Quest

Sir Lancelot

Solaris

Spacemaster X-7

Squeeze Box

Stronghold

Submarine Commander

Tax Avoiders

Threshold

Xenophobe

Yars' Revenge (Game 6, Difficulty A and ONE-LIFE only)

Edited by oyamafamily
Adding settings on Yars Revenge to avoid rollage scores
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, kermit73 said:

Another change I'd like to see is when multiple players achieve "rollage", take the number of lives in reserve into account in the rankings.  For example, a rollage score with three lives in reserve ranks higher than a rollage score with two lives in reserve.  This only works for games that display reserve lives the same time as the score.

Regarding multiple players achieving "rollage" / "max out" scores, my greatest suggestion is to use submission date as tie-break.

For an illustrative example - Yars' Revenge (contest starts December 1 and ends December 10), with 5 players achieving a rollage score.

Player A - Rollage - Date December 2

Player B - Rollage - Date December 4

Player C - Rollage - Date December 8

Player D - Rollage - Date December 9

Player E - Rollage - Date December 10 (the last day to post scores)

In this example, Player A would be ranked 1st place by being the first one to achieve and submit "rollage" scores.

Player C would be ranked 3rd place and Player E would be ranked 5th by being the latest of 5 players with rollage scores.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, oyamafamily said:

Regarding multiple players achieving "rollage" / "max out" scores, my greatest suggestion is to use submission date as tie-break.

For an illustrative example - Yars' Revenge (contest starts December 1 and ends December 10), with 5 players achieving a rollage score.

Player A - Rollage - Date December 2

Player B - Rollage - Date December 4

Player C - Rollage - Date December 8

Player D - Rollage - Date December 9

Player E - Rollage - Date December 10 (the last day to post scores)

In this example, Player A would be ranked 1st place by being the first one to achieve and submit "rollage" scores.

Player C would be ranked 3rd place and Player E would be ranked 5th by being the latest of 5 players with rollage scores.

A concern I'd have with this idea is not everybody has time to play the game toward the beginning of the contest.  Players who demonstrate comparable skill should earn a comparable ranking regardless of when they submitted their score.  Using the Yars' Revenge example, I expect that most players who can score 300k are skilled enough to consistently roll the score at 1M with 9 lives in reserve.  It would be unfair to give "Player A" 4 more points than "Player E" just because their schedule permitted them to make an earlier submission.

One thing I really like about the HSC structure is most contests are about a week and a half in length, a time period long enough that almost everyone can carve out at least some time to participate.  Rewarding players for submitting early would eliminate some of the benefit of having longer contest lengths.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kermit73 said:

Are we to assume that "3 years" means any game played since whatever season was active October/November 2018, or is it just the past three seasons?  In a previous post where I listed games, I assumed it meant only the last three seasons.

I asked this question in the past and the answer was 3 years, not seasons.

Has this changed,  Vocelli?

• Like 1

Arcade Recommendations:

Popeye(strong recommendation....I have the record for this game in the intellivision HSC so I am a bit partial to crappy popeye ports!!!)

Pengo

Lock N Chase (strong recommendation)

Qbert

Kangaroo

Gravitar(game option with limited lives....strong rec)

Popeye

Wizard of Wor

Mr DO

Star Wars Arcade

Burgertime

Missile Command (I think its option 7 with smart bombs and starts on hard difficulty)Insert other media

Non Arcade Recommendations:

Raft Rider (undderrated game)

Frostbite

Frogger 2

Entombed

Bank Heist

Boing

CHuck NOrris Superkicks(strong recommendation....I have lost in the semis 3 years in a row now so maybe I can get Chuck Norris as a consolation prize...I have recommened this one a couple of years in a row now...this one could be a fun bonus game too!!!  Pretty Please!!)

Room of Doom

River Patrol

Dodgem(I find this game very hard....also could be a good bonus game)

Tape WOrm(under rated snake game...good bonus game too!)

Ultimate Yars

Sub Scan

Lots of fun choices...looking forward to this season....thanks for your work putting this together Vocelli....ur the best...you make it tons of fun...its a good sign how fun HSC is when I keep losing and keep coming back....hahaha.

Cheers,

G

My picks:

Reactor

Draconian

Yars Revenge (game 6 - ultimate Yars)

Turmoil

Marauder

Qberts Qubes

Tunnel Runner

Solar Fox

Frostbite

Beamrider

Bonus game: Space Attack, difficulty a/a, and if you "win" (destroy all the enemy fleets), you get 1 bonus point for each of your ships remaining (9 possible)

Edited by G-type
  • Like 1