IGNORED

1st Evercade VS Review

Metal Jesus

I was lucky enough to get a review unit and stack of new arcade cartridges for the upcoming Evercade VS. Figured I'd post this here since the review has a lot of Atari gameplay footage and if you have additional questions for me, fire 'em off. Overall... it appears to be a well thought out gaming experience designed for couch co-op multi-player at a pretty reasonable price (starting at $99 for the unit plus one controller and one multi-game pack. The controllers are fine, but I definitely preferred using my trusty wired XBOX 360 controller so I could play games with an analog thumbstick. Also...the ability to hot swap the cartridges and sort your games was neat. Overall the UI is one of my favorites of any emulation system so far (even easier to navigate than the PolyMega, which I also really like). And like before, everything is fully licensed, all physical cartridges with a full color manual. 

Do you have the Evercade handheld and/or is this VS on your radar?

• Like 7

You have the most amazing timing in the world, MJ.  I am watching your review right now on YouTube as I type this.  I was also about to share the Nintendo Life review over on the Evercade thread.

Evercade VS - A Low-Cost Gateway To Past Nintendo Classics And Much More Besides - Nintendo Life

I won't like - that review and your video changed my mind.  I plan to grab an Evercade VS unit now!

• Like 3

You don't happen to have the new Atari VCS Classic Controller do you, Metal Jesus? If so, any chance it works on the Evercade VS? Watching you play Warlords and seeing Pong in their list makes me think compatibility with the Atari VCS Classic would be a huge win. 

(and don't think I'm not eyeing Night Driver on that Evercade cartridge with enthusiasm)

• Like 1

On 10/22/2021 at 4:45 PM, Metal Jesus said:

it appears to be a well thought out gaming experience designed for couch co-op multi-player at a pretty reasonable price (starting at $99 for the unit plus one controller and one multi-game pack.

Shhh...don't let the, ahem, "competition" know ?

• Haha 2

On 10/22/2021 at 10:45 AM, Metal Jesus said:

Do you have the Evercade handheld and/or is this VS on your radar?

Don't have the handheld, but this is kinda on and off my radar.  Every time I see this mentioned, my interest peaks a bit and I start to move to "must buy" mode.  But then I remembered I didn't really enjoy the handheld at all, but can't remember specifics for why.  Seems like the emulation and controls just felt off when I played it a bit, but I dunno.  I'm sure I'll cave at some point and give this a shot.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The VS is definitely on my radar. I won't pick one up immediately, but probably some time next year.  It looks like it has a nice collection of games for it so far, which will only grow larger,  and it's affordable.  If my Hyperkin Trooper II works with it, that would be the icing on the cake.

• Like 2