IGNORED

If it had to be only two....

BIGHMW

Fortunately I'm not quite to that point financially, but, if it did come down to which 2 units I would own, at this point and time, it's pretty much an easy decision of which two consoles I would keep if I ever had to unload a few:

The 5200, and, the 7800. Big Sexy and Lil' Sexy

Reasons:

5200: 

The Games:

400 of THE BEST titles you will find on any console, period. And while she might not play all of the 8-bit ports, really there were ONLY about 8-10 ports I wanted to see converted over to the 5200 that were not, but due to the 16K RAM limitations, we won't be seeing them. those were Food Fight, Space Eggs, Threshold, WarGames, Arkanoid, Sky Blazer, Bug Attack, Time Pilot, and Dr. Mario. That compared to the 15-20 5200-only titles what we'll never see on the XEGS, you already know about those, it's a fair tradeoff to just keep the 15-20 5200-only titles and screw the 8 8-bit-only ones. I was fortunate to get a proper working version of Asteroids and also Star Island and Yar's Strike among others thanks to Paul Lay @playsoft for all of us 5200 owners to be able to enjoy, so we'll stick with that. Plus, the 5200 versions of the OG 8-bit titles are improved versions of them, and why would anyone want to go backwards, especially on games like Centipede, Dig Dug, Qix, Star Raiders and Super Breakout which are far better on Big Sexy than they ever were on 8-bit???

...and should we not forget about the 2600 adapter as well!!! :) 

Controller compatibility:

Yes the 5200 CX52 stock analog controllers weren't necessarily the best but once you get used to them and if you get Best Lifetime Gold sticks you'll be fine. If they're still not for you, there's always Matrix Maker and Retro Game Boyz with their controllers as well as RGB's own 5200 Masterplay clone that allows 2600 sticks to be used on her as well as the Competition Pro, the good-old AtariAge Redemption 5200 (I still own a 7800 version) interface that Albert came up with years ago. Also don't forget about Wico, and also, the legendary CX53 Trak-Ball as well. When I restored mine and replaced both keypads and the start/pause/reset buttons on it with Best Lifetime Gold ones from their CX52 repair kits that pretty much made me a 5200 fanboy for life that is thankful that I never gave up on her just because of the XEGS.

(EDIT at 5:00 pm)

BTW, there is also the world's ONLY 5200 paddle controller as well, the ProPaddle 2 paddle controller that I got 2 of from Europe through 0711spiele.de as well, I just wanted to add that on.

7800:

The future of Lil' Sexy.... it's now - The new ports from the likes of Darryl Guenther @darryl1970 and Bob Decrecenzo @PacManPlus and others:

....and yes, it is a very bright one at that, with homebrews like Popeye, UniwarS, Astro Blaster, Asteroids Deluxe, Moon Cresta speak volumes about its future, play them for yourself I got my 7800 upon the development of the Concerto multicart by @batari (Fred Quimby), who also came up with Harmony and Harmony Encore for 2600 games, maybe you should think of it too, the future is now with the titles for the 7800, even with just 10K of RAM onboard there are wonders that only the MARIA chip can do that others can't. ...and there's more coming too!!!

Compatibility - native backwards-compatibility with all 2600 controllers and games:

Even though you can't just use your old 2600 controllers on 7800 games you sure can use them on the 2600 games, as this is 2 units in one, and also the 7800 controllers, both the CX24 and CX78 will certainly work with both 2600 and 7800 games as well, with the twin-fire buttons. However, no dice on the Trak-Ball (either the CX22 or CX80 with 7800 games but they DO work with 2600 games just fine. Anything 2600 will work on the 7800 on 2600 games, it's like having a VCS with more power than it.

So there you go, it would be nice to have everything on just 2 units (or even one) but we can't so that's why, but fortunately I'm not quite to the point of having to unload units here at BIGHMW.com World headquarters at Bishop Park so I'm doing fine otherwise. But there you go.

Edited by BIGHMW
To include the ProPaddle 2
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, BydoEmpire said:

I sold my 5200 collection a few years back, but I solidly approve of that combo.  Two great consoles that go great together!

They DO look like a matching pair, don't they? And so do the CX52 5200 stick with the CX24 7800 stick hooked up to my Redemption 5200 7800 interface. BTW all of my OEM Atari joysticks are Best Lifetime units so they will last!!!

• Like 1

OK people I brought up MY two systems if I could only own two (my 5200 and 7800 units are my choices) but if any of you ever get into a financial pinch, in which I myself am trying to avoid, which two would YOU keep if you HAD TO have only two???

Fortunately, and at least for now I don't have to ditch my 2600 Jr., 65XE, and XEGS in which would be sold, and, exclusively here on AA in the Marketplace

I would love to read YOUR two keepers and the reasons why on each as well.

Thanks!