IGNORED

Apple ][ Micro Koala Illustrator + emulation + artifacting

Big_Mo

Hi all.

I've been restoring a bunch of early graphics and animation work I did on various computers, notably stuff I did on the Atari XLs and STs, and I'm trying to find a way to rip the graphics out of a C64 game I worked on (Pool of Radiance). I recently used KEGS to recover an image from the IIGS. But the very first computer graphics I ever drew were using a KoalaPad and Microillustrator on an Apple ][+. Sadly, they are probably lost to eternity in electron heaven, but I thought it would be fun to try to recreate the main image since I remember it very clearly. I don't have an actual Apple ][ around, but I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a way to simulate the KoalaPad in an Apple ][ emulators, and which emulators, if any, do the best job of simulating the artifacting of the pixels on the system.

Any advice would be appreciated.

4 hours ago, Big_Mo said:

game I worked on (Pool of Radiance)

Really? This is one of my favourite games of all time, so have a virtual beer on me ;)

Here's a fairly accurate shot from my PC:

https://archive.org/download/crt-scr-v-0.1/CRT SCR%24 v0.1.zip/Original hardware%2FPC VGA 17 inch%2FPool Of Radiance (MSDOS)(VGA)(Samsung 793DF)(!)_1.jpg

Well I use AppleWin almost exclusively.

By selecting the mouse as the joystick controller, you get to use Blazing Paddles and Koala Micro Illustrator as if they were modern paint programs. Both buttons work and overclocking the emulator eliminates the mushy momentum/lag that was present on original hardware. Artifacting is good, and you have a choice of several monitors to get the right look. At present be sure to use Version 1.30.3.0, because 1.30.4.0 and 1.30.5.0 have regressions that are still WIP. And don't forget Ciderpress if you want to manipulate disk images.

120505057.png.b184b0b7b8a81005b19415127708f64f.png120528220.png.3223bfca5a318e468da902431543b888.png

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

On 10/23/2021 at 10:36 AM, Keatah said:

Well I use AppleWin almost exclusively.

By selecting the mouse as the joystick controller, you get to use Blazing Paddles and Koala Micro Illustrator as if they were modern paint programs. Both buttons work and overclocking the emulator eliminates the mushy momentum/lag that was present on original hardware. Artifacting is good, and you have a choice of several monitors to get the right look. At present be sure to use Version 1.30.3.0, because 1.30.4.0 and 1.30.5.0 have regressions that are still WIP. And don't forget Ciderpress if you want to manipulate disk images.

120505057.png.b184b0b7b8a81005b19415127708f64f.png120528220.png.3223bfca5a318e468da902431543b888.png

Hey thanks. I was running KEGS on my Mac to capture stuff from the IIGS, but I'll try AppleWin on my Windows machine.

On 10/23/2021 at 5:22 AM, youxia said:

Really? This is one of my favourite games of all time, so have a virtual beer on me ;)

Here's a fairly accurate shot from my PC:

https://archive.org/download/crt-scr-v-0.1/CRT SCR%24 v0.1.zip/Original hardware%2FPC VGA 17 inch%2FPool Of Radiance (MSDOS)(VGA)(Samsung 793DF)(!)_1.jpg

Yeah. I got a gig to help convert monster art from the Monster Manual to C64 graphics. Ended up letting my then-colleague take point on that project, but I do remember doing at least a few of the monster portraits using a KoalaPad and some perhaps proprietary tool that would let you paint the images in a way that produced redefined characters. I have this vague recollection of a screen with 6 images, perhaps several being the frames (they could be animated), a playback, and images showing which characters are were duplicates or something like that. I've found few C64 screenshots of the monsters, and wish I could find a way to rip all of them out of the game so I could figure out which ones we did and add them to my archives. 

• Like 1