IGNORED

Doom 32X Resurrection

Wesker

A full recreation of Doom for the 32X, based on the original Jaguar Doom source code release with a bulk of code taken from the Calico Doom port, created by Victor Luchitz among others. It's not another hack or fix attempt for the original 32X version, it's much more than that and makes the 32X to finally have the Doom conversion it truly deserved back in 1994. Really, really recommended to try it.

https://github.com/viciious/d32xr/

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/6269/

• Like 5

At least regarding music (obviously) and resolution it's already better. This is able to run in five resolution modes, which include the original bordered 32X resolution (128x144), the fullscreen Jaguar resolution (160x180), and two additional bordered resolutions (224x128 and 252x144) which are sharper. The latter seem to be pushing the system to its limits, it pretty much can't go beyond without substantially hitting the framerate.

There's also a couple of additional details here and there like better framerate (unless you go with the sharper resolution modes), stereo sound, LR strafe, and the fact that it restores the spectres. In comparison, it pretty much lacks the multiplayer feature (which I'm not sure if it will be implemented, but they have the option by using the Jaguar source) and the Jaguar color gradients.

If the Doom: Slayer Edition hack ever comes out, then chances are it will counteract to this in most features.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, firebottle said:

I keep getting captcha "password mismatch" trying to download the file from romhacking.

Can someone upload the rom file to this thread?

See that update video in post #3 ? Go to that video on Youtube, open the description FULLY, at the very bottom of that description you find links for the ROM another for the Patch BUT the very last line is a direct short.url link to google Drive download of the Pre-patched ROM latest version. ? People tend to be wary of posting ROM directly here in the forums. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

See that update video in post #3 ? Go to that video on Youtube, open the description FULLY, at the very bottom of that description you find links for the ROM another for the Patch BUT the very last line is a direct short.url link to google Drive download of the Pre-patched ROM latest version. ? People tend to be wary of posting ROM directly here in the forums. 

Thanks for the tip!!!

19 hours ago, phoenixdownita said:

They just released update v1.1a .... haven't had the time to try it on my 32x, by some comments it's "better" than the Jag version .... that's not gonna sit well with the Jag crowd.

Yeah Slayer Edition they put the Spider mastermind back in, music, and got the spectres working then went silent.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2021 at 11:38 PM, phoenixdownita said:

They just released update v1.1a .... 

Onto 1.2b now  ( https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/6269/ )  :

Changes in v1.2b:

• Fixed strobe lights flickering too fast.
  • Tweaked timings for the hold mode of the START button.

Changes in v1.2a:

• Improved compatibility with SRAM saves on older Everdrive models.

Changes in v1.2:

• Smooth 30FPS doors and platforms.
  • The DOOM logo now scrolls during introduction sequence like it does in PSX version the game.
  • Added XZ strafe mapping to options.
  • Menu wasn’t visible in automap mode.
  • Improved auditory cues in menus.
  • Pressing MODE + START now switches to fist.
  • Fixed gibbing animation in HUD.
  • Strafing now follows the USE action mapping, instead of being hardcoded to “C”.
  • Corrected monster animation speed on finale screen and added shot sounds.
  • The “New game” menu now remembers the last selected map until game’s restarted.

Changes in v1.1b:

• Automap scaling isn’t reset on loading a save state anymore.
  • Fixed an occasional Z_Free error in map selection menu.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Changes in v1.4:

Added splitscreen coop and deathmatch modes.

Fixed sounds effects being in mono on real hardware.

Memory and CPU optimizations.

Changed 240p PAL mode to use letter-boxing instead of vertical stretching.

Pressing START button during the finale screen restarts the game now.

I have not tried it yet but call me impressed by the split screen mode ;-)

On 10/26/2021 at 8:27 AM, firebottle said:

I keep getting captcha "password mismatch" trying to download the file from romhacking.

Can someone upload the rom file to this thread?

This was messing me up as well until I figured out that the letters always need to be done in lowercase even if they appear in upper case in the captcha window.

On 11/17/2021 at 11:43 AM, Asaki said:

Well dang O_O
I wonder how the framerate is, though.

I don't know that I will ever get a chance to check out the multiplayer split screen, but it is unexpected to see it added in. I need to grab the newest version of the rom hack and patch it to check out the changes. I do think it is very impressive overall even with the earlier rom patches that were applied. While it can't top the MIDI from the PC through a Roland module, the FM on this 32x version is some of the best I've heard from the game. There are still 1 or two songs on some of the maps that I don't think are that impressive but most of the overhauled soundtrack is really good!

On 11/17/2021 at 9:43 AM, Asaki said:

Well dang O_O
I wonder how the framerate is, though.

It works well enough afaict, I played alone in split screen mode (hard to find a friend for a couch coop these days) and the framerate looked plenty acceptable. The solo mode is smoother but as a bonus this split screen mode is pretty solid.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2021 at 9:43 AM, Asaki said:

From what I understand, this version was re-created using the Jaguar source.

All console Dooms (except for SNES Doom and GBA Doom 2) are derived from the Jaguar source. D32XR is derived from Calico. Calico is a port of the Jaguar Doom to the PC - it features the render phases re-engineered back into C code (partly from looking at the Jaguar asm, and partly from the 3DO code released by Rebecca Heineman). Calico was modified to build for the 32X, and then parts were redone to make the 32X faster, notably, splitting some of the rendering between the two SH2 cpus. Some of the lowest rendering code (drawing columns and spans) have been done in SH2 assembly for best speed. D32XR also takes advantage of the 64-bit divider unit in the SH2 where it makes sense. Once it was working, some fixes were made, and features added. There's a pretty long list of fixes and features on the rom patch page and the github page. It is still under work, and more fixes and features are being added constantly.

Being an open project (everything is in the github repository), we get plenty of help from interested parties. Wavy has helped quite a bit with fixes to levels. Spoony Bard did a great job on updating the FM music. If you have an interest, and some ideas, feel free to contribute to the project.

• Like 1

It can be. On my NTSC Genesis/CD/32X, it tends to hover in the upper 20s for FPS. I get 30 FPS quite often, and on some occasions it may drop to the low 20s. As Vic keeps optimizing the rendering to use both SH2 processors the FPS has gotten better, so my average has been getting higher more often as the project goes on. However, remember that the PS1 is drawing at a higher resolution, with far more color depth, and with effects like transparency. I'm also not sure of how much strain more enemies puts on D32XR compared to the PS1. I'll have to find some levels that max out the baddies and check how it affects the current build.

You can check things yourself - D32XR has some performance checking built in. Press START during game play to pause. While paused, press MODE once and you'll activate the FPS meter. Press it again to get a timing chart of various parts of the logic/rendering. There are also some test modes that can be activated. Press MODE enough times and you cycle back to normal play.

Edited by Chilly Willy
more info
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Chilly Willy said:

If you have an interest, and some ideas, feel free to contribute to the project.

Ah, so I'm guessing you must be the same Chilly Willy from Sega-16 ;)

Not sure if I have anything to contribute, I don't even have a 32x to play it on =(

Yes, I have accounts on many boards... too many. ?

It runs perfectly fine on Kega Fusion 3.64. I tend to use that for quick testing before checking my real hardware. Setup port 1 for a keyboard driven 6-button pad, and set port 2 to mouse. Fire it up and hit F12 to activate the mouse. If you map the pad to the proper keys, it'll be just like DOS Doom mouse+keyboard, and very easy to control.

Even just getting people to play the rom means we may get feedback that can help, like the person who suggested having the names of the maps in the new game menu.

2 hours ago, Chilly Willy said:

It runs perfectly fine on Kega Fusion 3.64.

Sure, but I wouldn't mind having a 32x ;) If I could find one that was cheap enough.

2 hours ago, Chilly Willy said:

Setup port 1 for a keyboard driven 6-button pad, and set port 2 to mouse.

Did the original game support mouse, or did you guys add that? I guess it wouldn't be surprising, since Wolf3D on the SNES supported mouse.

I actually kind of prefer playing DOOM with a gamepad. I used to play it keyboard + lefty joystick back before I started playing Quake.

On 12/8/2021 at 7:38 AM, Asaki said:

Sure, but I wouldn't mind having a 32x ;) If I could find one that was cheap enough.

Did the original game support mouse, or did you guys add that? I guess it wouldn't be surprising, since Wolf3D on the SNES supported mouse.

I actually kind of prefer playing DOOM with a gamepad. I used to play it keyboard + lefty joystick back before I started playing Quake.

Yeah, it's getting harder to find a 32X at a decent price... you just have to keep an eye on the auctions and leap into action when you get a chance.

And we added mouse support to it. I'm not aware of any of the console ports supporting a mouse. Playing a first person shooter with a mouse allows for far better control compared to just a pad, especially if the pad has no analog sticks. You need a programmable pad with shoulder triggers to really be able to effectively control Doom with a pad, otherwise circle strafing is too difficult. I've seen people finish Doom on pads without circle strafing, but it's painful to watch. I wouldn't want to do it. :D

Hi all!

In the 28th anniversary of the original Doom release, Doom 32X Resurrection v1.5 is now available:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/6269/

Changes in v1.5:

Improved rendering performance by 25%.
Restored the “Sign of Evil” music track for E1M8.
Menu logos, font and HUD icons revamped by Polonium to closer match the original box art.
All maps have proper REJECT lumps now, boosting performance even further.
Restored the missing third sight and death grunts for zombie monsters.
The game now defaults to fullscreen video mode.
Pressing MODE+Start now switches to fist if you have berserk.
Fixed the automap being squished vertically and also tweaked default automap scale.
The automap is now anti-aliased.
Fixed the menu occasionally wouldn’t play the switch sound upon being brought up.
The second player can no longer pause or unpause the game in splitscreen mode.

Any feedback is appreciated.
Enjoy it!

Ealier today, it was announced that this project has been recognized with the Mordeth Award in the Cacowards 2021:
40625283_6_mordethaward.png?_cb=15442289
https://www.doomworld.com/cacowards/2021/others/

Edited by Barone
  • Like 2