IGNORED

Online Expansion Now Available

MrBeefy

We can hope enough people don't buy it that Nintendo takes notice.  The 120-150% price increase for a few minimally added games for 2 systems and some AC DLC if you even own the game, is just too much of an ask when the cumulative price is over what the other two charge with so many more features and freebies monthly too.  I'm a life long Nintendo fan of their games and stuff mostly, but even I can't excuse that bullshit stunt, defend it, or let it rest as it's just sad.  Sticking to the original plan.  When they decide to slice it a 1/3 or better yet just add the features the competition does to add parity to things, then I'm on board.

23 hours ago, DavidD said:

I've got 2 more years of a family plan going, with 6 other family on it (mostly nieces and nephews).

I don't really see why I should go from $35 a year to $80.

Same here, but it's just for 2 on mine which makes it all the more bs.  I still can't get over so many Nintendo suckoffs are totally fine with a 120% increase on family (and 150% at individual level) plans.  It's too much of an ask for far too little with the services.  Should have called it fanboy pass, not expansion pass.

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Same here, but it's just for 2 on mine which makes it all the more bs.  I still can't get over so many Nintendo suckoffs are totally fine with a 120% increase on family (and 150% at individual level) plans.  It's too much of an ask for far too little with the services.  Should have called it fanboy pass, not expansion pass.

I did get those two years through Target's $20-for-family-plan deal last year... it looks like if I actually "upgraded," the real-world cost to me would be about $54 total.  That is somewhat more palatable than $80 (with the 8 people and all), but I'd really only consider that if Target does the same deal this year so I can stockpile 1 year standard family memberships.

Just as a heads up, turns out that the wireless Nintendo 64 controller that Nintendo has made available doesn't work with Super Mario 64 in Super Mario 3D All-Stars (The superior version thanks to a lot of cleaned up 2D elements, where as the NSO version is just the stock rom). Button mapping has been modified for it and the button configuration is thus messed up with the N64 controller.

So if that's a factor in anyone's decision to purchase that controller, you may want to hold off for now. Hopefully a patch for 3D All-Stars will be forthcoming, but with it a year old now and the NSO version of Super Mario 64 available, there's no guarantees that proper support for the controller will be patched in (And the Switch firmware isn't allowing people to reconfigure controls with the N64 controller, so there's no current workaround). 

Especially with that being a prime use for this controller on the Switch one day in the future, it's disappointing. 

Edited by Atariboy

I wouldn't have considered getting nintendo online if they had added these games at the same price; but at that large increase; NO WAY.   I still have these systems and could literally play all these games on original hardware, I wouldn't mind being able to play some of them on the go but not renting them for a year at that price.  I guess i'm not the target demographic anymore, it's probably for tweens looking to "get into retrogaming" 

Nintendo's online offering is a joke and i've yet to pay a dollar for it even though i've owned my console since launch day.  Then again...i don't pay for any of the XBox/PS online "services" either so i guess i'm just fundamentally opposed to the pay to play online gaming business model.  One more reason that outside of the Switch carts i buy, i'm otherwise slowly moving to the PC as my main platform. 

Edited by Rick Dangerous

The offering at $20 is more than acceptable given the cloud saving and the rest, but the massive 120-150% increase to get some poorly emulated N64, then genesis, and some AC only DLC package is an insult.

I helped talking a drive through worker out of the package he was already calling overpriced earlier ago when he saw my kid on her switch lite.  He was thinking of getting a n64 maybe instead, I said go for it, then while you're at it, since no one is making money on the stuff anymore, don't pay the ripoff prices trust me just google everdrive 64 and you'll be happy.  Left it at that. :D  He was thankful as I had to pull up.

On 10/28/2021 at 3:16 PM, Atariboy said:

Just as a heads up, turns out that the wireless Nintendo 64 controller that Nintendo has made available doesn't work with Super Mario 64 in Super Mario 3D All-Stars (The superior version thanks to a lot of cleaned up 2D elements, where as the NSO version is just the stock rom). Button mapping has been modified for it and the button configuration is thus messed up with the N64 controller.

So if that's a factor in anyone's decision to purchase that controller, you may want to hold off for now. Hopefully a patch for 3D All-Stars will be forthcoming, but with it a year old now and the NSO version of Super Mario 64 available, there's no guarantees that proper support for the controller will be patched in (And the Switch firmware isn't allowing people to reconfigure controls with the N64 controller, so there's no current workaround). 

Especially with that being a prime use for this controller on the Switch one day in the future, it's disappointing. 

They ended up patching 3D All Stars to use the N64 controller.  :)

• Thanks 2