IGNORED

Recommend PS3 games for 5 year old boy.

I tried posting this in the PS3 forum, but that forum seems virtually dead.

Christmas is slowly approaching, and my nephew has access to a PS3. He loves Lego Marvel Super Heroes, and he is getting Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes for Christmas. But he deserves more. :) So I am looking for recommendations. No more Lego games, though.

He likes dinosaurs, animals, cars, super heroes and He-Man (?). But don´t feel limited to those categories. In fact, it is probably enough super heroes for now. And he hasn´t liked the racing games he has tried (Super Mario Kart - SNES and Looney Tunes Racing - PS1). They were too difficult for him. He also doesn´t like scrolling shoot´em ups (judging by his reaction to Pop´n Twinbee - SNES). Nor is he interested in 1v1 fighting games (he didn´t like Tekken 3 - PS1).

He likes 3D platformers, but they need to be very easy, and now that he will have 2 such games, it may be time for something different. He likes Super Mario World (SNES), but it is too difficult for him. He also likes Kirby´s Fun Pak/Super Star (SNES). So maybe an easy 2D platformer would be interesting.

The games will be bought used (in Norway), and need to be cheap. It is not important whether or not the games support multiplayer at the moment, but that could change, so multiplayer support is preferable.

I think you guys underestimate how bad he is at gaming. :) Also, he can´t read, and doesn´t understand English. So it is a pretty tall order to find appropriate games. It will be so much easier a couple of years from now.

A co-op game were an older player helps him, sounds nice, but my brother doesn´t like playing with him (he doesn´t share his taste in games), so it doesn´t work in practice. Instead my nephew plays in single player, and then frequently requires his assistance.

Are there any cartoony top-down shoot´em ups, 2D beat´em ups or flight games?

Edited by Lord Mushroom

2 hours ago, Lord Mushroom said:

Is Ratchet & Clank good for a 5 year old boy?

I was asking this because a seller, who is selling Lego Batman 2, was selling R&C as well. Only he wasn´t... The description said it was, but then I looked at the images, and it was Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault/Qforce...

2 hours ago, Lord Mushroom said:

I wouldn't think so. I can't think of any easy games that you can get for cheap and on disk. Sounds like a tall order. Now a hacked system changes everything. There are a ton of games that fit the description but they are all digital only and long delisted.

• Thanks 1

For Rayman Origins, he can be bad as long as you are playing with him.  When one player dies, they respawn in a bubble that floats along unharmed until the other player pops him out of it.  So if there are tough parts, the kiddo will probably die but you can bring him right back in.  It's perfect for playing with a little one.

Some other kid friendly games:  Toy Story 3, Marvel Super Hero Squad: Infinity Gauntlet and LittleBigPlanet

Edited by glazball

Definitely Little Big Planet Karting (although he'll be a freshman in college by the time the first course loads).  Maybe Mod Nation Racers.  I mostly only play racing games so that's all I can really offer, but those are two solid choices.

EDIT - I just saw you said he is bad at gaming and didn't like kart racing games..  I suck at gaming big time and I found both of these games rather difficult for kart racing games honestly..   Not extremely difficult, but enough so that I have not been able to unlock every single course in either game.     Perhaps Sega and Sonic all starts racing transformed and sega all stars racing?  Those are MUCH easier and more accessible.

Edited by NeonSpaceBeagle

On 10/27/2021 at 9:29 AM, Lord Mushroom said:

On 10/27/2021 at 11:41 AM, Lord Mushroom said:

I think you guys underestimate how bad he is at gaming. :) Also, he can´t read, and doesn´t understand English. So it is a pretty tall order to find appropriate games. It will be so much easier a couple of years from now.

R&C games are great for kids, but they do have a bit of difficulty, so I'd say they should be a "pass" for your situation. But keep it in mind for a couple of years from now.

Omitting the Lego stuff, as you mentioned, here are some PS3 games that my kids really enjoyed around that age (they weren't good at games either) were --

Puppeteer -- this game is pretty special for all ages, in my opinion.

Minecraft

Katamari Forever

Skylanders  -- some extra hardware needed, but usually quite inexpensive

The Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors games.   Kids can roll back the difficulty as needed and have a button mashing good time with these.