IGNORED

Maze-A-Tron Super Pro coming soon

intvdave

I owned this title as a kid. It was a title I wanted to forget that I even owned it. Seeing a recent post about it made me think about the game but in a nostalgic way so I figured... time for a Super Pro treatment!

The updates to the game is about done. What I am curious about is:

- Did anyone else care about this game?

- If you could "fix" the issues of the game, what would have made it better for you?

- Is an update something you are interested in?

• Like 11

All I remember is I hated this game,and I went back to it and gave it many chances. 

I never really understood the object but I do vividly remember you get pushed off screen way too fast or actually couldn't move faster than the screen was forcing you forward.

Something like that! 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, wolfy62 said:

All I remember is I hated this game,and I went back to it and gave it many chances. 

I never really understood the object but I do vividly remember you get pushed off screen way too fast or actually couldn't move faster than the screen was forcing you forward.

Something like that! 

Exactly. Lol. This is my most hated game on the entire system. I stay far away from it, but I know there is a group of people that like it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Some ideas we discussed when we covered it on the podcast:

• it has some control issues - you can get stuck on the maze circuitry sometimes, there seems to be a bit of a delay when you hit the button to activate your shield
  • I wondered about the auto-scrolling and if that hurt or helped the gameplay.  It seems like some of the game mechanics don't make a lot of sense if you aren't auto-scrolling - e.g. changing RAM chips by entering from the top or bottom, rather then using a button or something other mechanic
  • it lacks a feeling that you're progressing towards something. cmadruga mentions some kind of compass feature - maybe that or some kind of map/hints to help you know if you're working towards finding a bank of RAM chips
  • I think there should be more segments of the RAM chips.  I think we estimated that there were on the order of 4 or 6 RAM banks in the whole game (David, you'll know for sure digging through the code).  There are 4 different circuit boards, each 38 sections.  4 * 38 = 152.  You're looking to find 4 or 6 specific sections out of those 152, across 4 boards.  It's just takes too long to find the RAM chips.
  • I'm not sure how the boss-battle could be made better.  I do know that I talked about wanting a "win" state of some kind, rather than just a screen where you last as long as you can.  The mechanic of shooting the tops of two rising streams of numbers was a little hard to manage (???).  Because you're moving across with a digital control (i.e. a constant pace, you can't "rush" over), by the time you shoot one side and start moving to the other, it has moved up on you.  Maybe that's just part of the challenge, but it seemed needlessly complicated to me.
  • Because the maze is made out of the same four pieces over and over, you never know where you are.  You never have a sense of "Oh, I remember this part - I'm close".  I guess this hits the same idea as the suggestion for a compass/map.  You might not need compass/map if the mazes were distinctive in some way so you could learn your way around the computer system.
  • Like 7

Like others have said the choppy animation and controls aren't good.  Player moves in eight rather than sixteen directions.  Both the circuit and MCP phases have these issues.

I don't like forced scrolling in games.  Don't like that you can't defeat the MCP. Changing these two things would require fundamental changes to gameplay.

A simple way to make the circuit phase easier is colour coding each of the four circuit boards so you know which one you're on.  The problem is the circuit mazes are the same every game so feeling a little loss helps with replayability.   Once you've played this game a few times, it's not hard to find the RAM.

• Like 3

As a huge Tron fan I loved this game as a kid. In fact, I dare say more than Tron DD. ? undoubtedly part of it is pure nostalgia and loving the idea that I was “in the world of the movie”. Having said that I agree with cmadruga and Rick where at times it felt like I was just trying to say alive and wasn’t really sure if I was progressing towards where I needed to go. Rick has obviously covered off a lot of the other issues. 

I would be very happy to see you make a SP version of this game and I’m sure a CIB version would be snapped up. 

I liked this game quite a bit back in the day, but my frustrations with it were pretty wells covered by Rick and cmadruga.  The few times I actually got to a bank of RAM chips made me feel like I found a needle in a haystack.  After spending so long just looking for the RAM really ramped up the tension w/the MCP battle.  Plus, that felt like a completely different game from what you'd been playing so long previously.

• Like 2

I'm in for a Super Pro version.  I think changing the scroll speed would help.  I often felt it's too fast.  Might help if it were slower.  

I think the MCP should be able to be destroyed, but that might be too much to ask as suggested already.

Difficulty levels would help.

An in-game map would be great too, maybe only on easy levels?  

At any rate.. I'll buy it.  I loved that game growing up and I still play it now and then now. 

What's next?   A Super Pro Cloudy Mountain?   Oooooo!!!! That would be awesome too!

• Like 1

We need to go Intellivoice! Let me see if I can implement it.

One frustration I always had was you did not know your exact energy level at any given moment (only by color and when it was being used or charged), and you had no idea how many ones you had in inventory.

I just gave Phase One a play test and the dynamics have completely changed.

UPDATED: Intellivoice is working so far!

Edited by intvdave
update status
  • Like 12

Good to hear. Another intellivoice game. I  would get  it as well.  I haven't really explored this game to much. Looks to confusing and difficult.  But very interesting.  I would do a cib if it happens.  Yes a super pro cloudy mountain with intellivoice . Would be the greatest thing;). Like quest. Unreleased. 

Edited by atari5200dude82
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, intvdave said:

Thanks for the feedback. I think I will solve most of the concerns you all mentioned.

I do not think I am not looking to release any more games CIB. I may be just doing ROM releases from now on.

Before you close the book on that subject... maybe consider this one and if you HOPEFULLY plan on doing a Super Pro Cloudy Mounatin consider those last two for CIB.  It would be great to have them both as CIB's.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, intvdave said:

We need to go Intellivoice! Let me see if I can implement it.

One frustration I always had was you did not know your exact energy level at any given moment (only by color and when it was being used or charged), and you had no idea how many ones you had in inventory.

I just gave Phase One a play test and the dynamics have completely changed.

UPDATED: Intellivoice is working so far!

Using the Space Spartans voice I imagine with some Solar Sailor tied in as well?

Is there a way to record new sounds and add them in?  I don't know anything about programming the games so I ask.

6 hours ago, atari5200dude82 said:

Yes a super pro cloudy mountain with intellivoice . Would be the greatest thing;). Like quest. Unreleased. 

Maybe I have not played Cloudy Mountain enough but the game seems pretty solid as is. What fixes does it need?

Quest was following Treasure of Tarmin which I had as a kid. I do not see Treasure of Tarmin getting a Super Pro treatment.

2 hours ago, intellivotion said:

I'm in, preferably CIB

Releasing games CIB is not a focus of mine anymore. I think I will move to ROM only releases. I am sitting on Super Pro Boxing and Super Pro Gammon. It is challenging enough just to get them out in ROM format. I understand most people out here are probably more collectors than gamers. I would be happy if just one person plays the games I release.

• Like 3