IGNORED

Under the influence of hunger

neogeo1982

I received my copy only a couple of days ago, so last night was my first chance to really play the game.  I played for about 2 hours and found 2 crowns, and have made it as far as level 5.

What I find seems to work as strategy:

- when you open a door, just stop in the doorway, then survey the room, and figure out how to search it while avoiding any enemies in the room as much as possible. 

- if you have a chance to buy bread, buy at least several hundred pieces so that you are not constantly having to return to a shop for food.

- keep an eye on your health (red) and magic power (blue).  When either drops substantially, take an elixir or potion before you get into any fights, and keep your levels topped up. 

- learn how to use your magic healing spells if you are hurt and have no potions.

Question for phoboz:  is there any point to carrying extra weapons or armor?  If I find chain mail and leather armour, can I use both, or should I drop the leather armour as dead weight?  Same question for weapons:  if I have a long sword (d8) or short sword (d6), is there any point to carrying the dagger (d4)?

Does carrying these extra items tire out the character faster?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, ls650 said:

is there any point to carrying extra weapons or armor?  If I find chain mail and leather armour, can I use both, or should I drop the leather armour as dead weight?  Same question for weapons:  if I have a long sword (d8) or short sword (d6), is there any point to carrying the dagger (d4)?

Does carrying these extra items tire out the character faster?

No, there is no point to carry equipment that you don't use, as you can only equip one weapon, one armor, and one shield at the same time. Neither does the equipment break. It doesn't slow down the character to carry extra weight, so you can just drop the equipment when you need more room in your bag.

Scoreboard:

@Mikebloke 10 crowns

@neogeo1982 8 crowns

@K3V 6 crowns

@ls650 2 crowns

Edited by phoboz
  • Thanks 1

Ran up to level 8 today and died. Ran several low stat runs only to level 2 then just drank the Kool-Aid since it wasn't going well. No new crowns found.

Phoboz, what's the highest achievable score in this? I have 13936 and haven't been able to get any higher than that.

20211111_210051_HDR.jpg

4 hours ago, neogeo1982 said:

Phoboz, what's the highest achievable score in this? I have 13936 and haven't been able to get any higher than that

I haven't really tracked that personally. The score is the accumulated experience point calculated over all skills. The only way to know what is the best achievable score is to track it here.

Edited by phoboz

Question:  the first two crowns I found were on the 4th and 5th levels.  As I entered each level, I saw a message along the lines of "You feel the presence of a relic"...

Last night after a bunch of wandering around, I stumbled into a room - and just saw the crown of Oholibama sitting there - I almost missed it.  There were no messages about a relic being on the level.

Is that expected behavior?  As I saw no relic messages, I assumed there was no crown and was just searching for the portal to the next level.

(That makes it 3 crowns now.)

1 hour ago, ls650 said:

Is that expected behavior?  As I saw no relic messages, I assumed there was no crown and was just searching for the portal to the next level

Yes, as @neogeo1982 said  you can check on the status screen, and there should be a message there until all crowns are found on the level. Note that there might be more than one crown on each level, so don't give up the search until that message dissapears.

I am not sure why you didn't see the message when entering the level, but the message box is quite busy, and a one time message might be easy to miss. However, it is expected that the message should be printed once when entering a level with at least one crown.

I do recomnend to look at the message on the status screen, becuase this help you to locate all crowns on a level. Unless you want to step in, and out of the same level to see if there are any more crowns are remaining.

Scoreboard:

@Mikebloke 10 crowns

@neogeo1982 8 crowns

@K3V 6 crowns

@ls650 3 crowns

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I discovered 2 more crowns last night, for a total of 5 now.  Both did display a 'relic' message as soon as I started the floor, so I probably did just miss the initial message.

And as you say, the Stats screen lets you know there is a crown about.

On 11/12/2021 at 8:26 PM, phoboz said:

Scoreboard:

@Mikebloke 10 crowns

@neogeo1982 8 crowns

@K3V 6 crowns

@ls650 5 crowns

1 hour ago, ls650 said:

Both did display a 'relic' message as soon as I started the floor, so I probably did just miss the initial message.

And as you say, the Stats screen lets you know there is a crown about

Got a little bit worried there, so I checked the code. I could not find any obvious reason for the message not to be displayed if there are crowns on the current level. The code is basically the same for the initial message, as for the status screen message. Please let me know in a PM if any of you see this happen?

On 11/12/2021 at 9:46 PM, Mikebloke said:

I would be curious to know if anyone else has found crowns without messages too, I've done a few runs now all the way to level 12 with no messages, so no last crown yet. I have to admit I don't tend to search every floor, so that might be something I need to do next time, even if it's a case of going back down. 

Or the game did not spawn the last crown. 

and we have a winner:

@Mikebloke 11 crowns (1st place)

@neogeo1982 8 crowns

@ls650 7 crowns

@K3V 6 crowns

Let's see who grab the 2nd, and the 3rd place.

(I know it's not completely fair, as some got their game earlier than the others, but we do it just for enjoyment)

PS. @Mikebloke sent a snapshot picture of the true ending in a PM to me. To not spoil it for you.

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 2