IGNORED

How Can I Convert This .DSK File to .BIN for FinalGROM99?

RykGroff

42 minutes ago, wierd_w said:

How byzantine is this XB program?  Would it be possible to make it into a single XB program file with lots of subroutines instead?  If so, it might be convinced to go through the compiler, and thus be able to be made into a module?

Well, thanks to HOME AUTOMATION I was able to retrieve all the parts of the .DSK file: XB and Assembly routines. Very interesting! When I add a TIPI to my system I should be able to run it again after all these years.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RykGroff said:

Well, thanks to HOME AUTOMATION I was able to retrieve all the parts of the .DSK file: XB and Assembly routines. Very interesting! When I add a TIPI to my system I should be able to run it again after all these years.

What I mean, is that there is a compiler for TI Basic and TI XB programs that converts them into machine-code programs.

Once converted, they can be turned from a memory image into a cartridge image, using Classic99 and some elbow-grease.

The compiler has some requirements, in that it cannot handle programs that call routines from disk. (at least I think that it is a requirement that the program be fully one-file)  If your program was revised to instead contain lots of subroutines within a single file, it might be possible to feed it through the compiler, and get a suitable machine-code program, which can be mangled into a cartridge image.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lee Stewart said:

I am also old (78) and it took me a few beats before I got it, as well. I am caught sleeping around here every now and again. |:)  Welcome aboard the Good Ship. ?

Thank you, Lee! I just turned 69 (but don't feel it). I'm retired, but still do part-time typesetting and book pagination now and then. After looking around for a few years I finally found a very affordable TI with Speech and a handful of carts on ebay last month and have been having a very nostalgic blast fiddling around with it. Added 32k, Atari joysticks, and a FinalGROM recently. Several years ago I ran across my Wordsmith disk file--on a Russian website of all places--and that's what spurred me on to get back into the TI world. With help from you and others here I can at least read the XB files I created 40 years ago, and eventually--with the addition of a TIPI--I just might be able to run it again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, wierd_w said:

What I mean, is that there is a compiler for TI Basic and TI XB programs that converts them into machine-code programs.

Once converted, they can be turned from a memory image into a cartridge image, using Classic99 and some elbow-grease.

The compiler has some requirements, in that it cannot handle programs that call routines from disk. (at least I think that it is a requirement that the program be fully one-file)  If your program was revised to instead contain lots of subroutines within a single file, it might be possible to feed it through the compiler, and get a suitable machine-code program, which can be mangled into a cartridge image.

Thanks for this info! Eventually I think I'll get back in the swing of things and will again learn how to do all these arcane procedures.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RykGroff said:

Well, thanks to HOME AUTOMATION I was able to retrieve all the parts of the .DSK file: XB and Assembly routines.

Your welky:), I do notice little things, here and there. But, not to bask in the glory too much:-D, I probably just beat @mizapf to the punch, by a couple hours, he is  TIdir's creator!?

• Like 1