IGNORED

Sydney Hunter and the Curse of The Mayan - (in VCS Store)

justclaws

2021-10-28 - Here's the announcement.
2020-10-28 - It turns out the Atari social-media team were a bit premature; but it's coming.
2021-11-18 - Now available in the VCS Store!

Here's the video trailer for it, although it's cross-platform.

Here's the web-site for the game.
https://collectorvision.com/store/sydney-hunter-and-the-curse-of-the-mayans/

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2021 at 4:36 PM, justclaws said:

It seems this may have been a bit premature, as a tweet by Atari's team.
Maybe a social-media mistake.
However, the game is coming to the VCS. Maybe just not today, after all.

I hope that that it is still coming to the Atari VCS, but after 2 weeks of silence since the misstated "available now" status for the game I wonder if somehow the deal didn't fall through.  Also, I asked on the CollectorVision Facebook page in a very respectful manner and the post wasn't up long before it was deleted without any response at all. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but this doesn't exactly instill a lot of confidence that Sydney Hunter is still on it way to the Atari VCS.  Maybe an exact date cannot be given, but a statement form Atari or CollectorVision saying that they game is still coming to the Atari VCS would go a long way towards making a lot of eager Atari VCS owners happy.

19 hours ago, justclaws said:

I heard from an Atari source that it's definitely coming to the VCS, and soon.
Here's some more information about the game.
https://collectorvision.com/store/sydney-hunter-and-the-curse-of-the-mayans/

Maybe this will be a Black Friday surprise ?

12 hours ago, retroillucid said:

Hey, thanks for your interests in our game! :cool:

@retroillucid If you could share any more background about the game, or on bringing it to the modern VCS, that would be great.
I bought the game today; it's great to see this retro-inspired action, combining the best of the traditional with the new, here.

Likewise, now that you have made an agreement on publishing this with Atari, can we hope for more titles from Collectorvision?

• Like 5

I'm going to buy this game tomorrow and spend time with it this weekend.  This game is shining example of the type of retro content that will be the bread & butter for a console like the Atari VCS (and yes it is a console and not a mini PC as Michael Artz wants to tout it). Game like this are exactly what we need in the Atari VCS store to keep gamers interested in what the Atari VCS has to offer and spend time in the Atari VCS OS mode opposed to booting into PC mode. Good work Atari getting this game out just in time for lead up to the Christmas Holiday season. I am Looking forward to seeing what other gifts Atari has in store for us for the Atari VCS's first Christmas retail season.

• Like 3

I’m really enjoying the game so far I’ve put a fair bit of time into the game last night on VCS and I’m progressing through the game nicely!. I did purchase it on Steam to play on the VCS in PC mode days ago but now it’s on Atari OS that’s where I’ll be playing it natively from now on. This game is definitely a great one for the VCS it looks amazing and plays spot on, I’m considering purchasing it on the Switch as well to play it on the go and show some more support for the game. 

• Like 3

Yes I agree with most written here, this game takes you back in time and at the same time offers the joys of today by using a modern controller and a large screen to play it on. Really like it so far,  playing it on the VCS is what makes it really retro cool. We need more of these games on the VCS.

• Like 4

On 11/19/2021 at 7:05 AM, SabertoothRetro said:

I grabbed this as soon as I got home from work. I'm only through the first boss but it's a blast so far! 

I just defeated the 2nd boss last night, and he was much less frustrating that the first!
This game will eat a lot of time... 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, retroillucid said:

Sure!

The game took almost 5 years to make (as a part time project) 
This was also our very first modern platforms project, as we're used to make games for older systems.
The game is a mixture of CastleVania, Megaman, Super Mario, Zelda 2 and Montezuma's Revenge.
We more than often call our game; MegaMayan

Bringing it to the VCS was quite simple, the people at Atari were pretty easy to work with.

Yes, we definitely want to bring more titles to the VCS :)

Atari should hire you guys to do like a modern "Adventure" remake.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nall3k said:

Atari should hire you guys to do like a modern "Adventure" remake.

The system is crying out for an Adventure-style game or remake. That kind of reboot would be/could be a real calling card for the system. That and Crystal Castles IMO have big potential for a modern reboot, and could serve as a non-"Reloaded" edition. Instead, imagine a VCS exclusive Adventure or Castles that is just the "version" of that game for the new Atari system, similar to how games like Asteroids were launched for the 5200, 7800, etc. Even if only temporarily exclusive to the VCS, or a special edition, I'd imagine that could be a draw for at least a few holdouts. 

• 3 weeks later...