IGNORED

Couch Compliant Logo

KevKelley

Although the DEMO rom for Game Panic 3 isn't couch complaint the newest binaries for physical production are:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/329568-wip-game-panic-3-now-with-demo-rom/

Basically, if you hold down FIRE for more than 7 seconds your player will flash.  Any more than that you'll reset back to the title screen (forfeiting your score).  Novice and Expert difficulty can be set at the title screen via UP or DOWN (or LEFT and RIGHT).  You can always do this via the console and difficulty switches.

So, I managed to achieve what I consider "Couch Compliant GOLD".  I fully realize that the way I approached it works best with a game design that hardly uses the FIRE button.  Maybe in the future I'll figure out a better way.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Gemintronic said:

Basically, if you hold down FIRE for more than 7 seconds your player will flash.  Any more than that you'll reset back to the title screen (forfeiting your score).  Novice and Expert difficulty can be set at the title screen via UP or DOWN (or LEFT and RIGHT).  You can always do this via the console and difficulty switches.

So, I managed to achieve what I consider "Couch Compliant GOLD".  I fully realize that the way I approached it works best with a game design that hardly uses the FIRE button.  Maybe in the future I'll figure out a better way.

I implemented an identical control system for "rage reset" in my own current project.  Hold down the button for more than N seconds, and the player starts to flash a skeleton animation.  Continue to hold for another 3 or so seconds, and you have your reset back to the menu screen.  And I also have this on combined SELECT+RESET on the console switches (but it's instant).

But in my case, I have the fire button overloaded with all sorts of functionality during the game.  Short-press, press, long-press (reset), and also context-sensitive changes. Surprisingly it all works intuitively, so I think despite your concerns in the last paragraph, it's a good approach.

Examples:  on menu, up/down selects item, left/right changes it, and fire starts game

In game, short-press switches to an overview screen

long-press as described (reset).  Note, any joystick direction will reset the reset timer (i.e., cancel it)

otherwise, held+direction = action

after death, you can still do stuff, so....

short-press switches to an overview screen

long-press (this time only 3 seconds or so) --> ok, i'm done let's move on to the next life thanks.

Essentialy, once you plug in the game and turn on your console, you never need anything but the joystick for selection/control/play.

I didn't watch the couch compliant show/discussion, but I am imagining this was the basic intent.

Edited by Andrew Davie
  • Like 4

On 4/8/2022 at 12:50 AM, KevKelley said:

I love it. But now I have to update my labels I was working on. Lol

Can't wait for the day to see the logo on a box/cartridge, that'll be both hilarious and amazing!

On 4/7/2022 at 6:07 PM, stepho said:

The joystick is great!
Single pixel mod to emphasise the split in the rear cushions.

compliant-split-x4.png.af01670f1fd7cc66345e596d9910086b.pngcompliant-split.png.875693342089f39e4272f8f915d82241.png

The logo just keeps getting better and better!

Here's a drop shadow version I made from the above logo that's appropriate for overlaying on any video/picture. I've already got it ready for the stream if I need to use it! ?

403184897_20220408-CouchCompliant.png.0c24b4621ce82ab08333369804e90cc9.png

- James

• Like 8

So, ah, what about “couch compliant, but only if you use a gamepad”?

I have this odd notion of making a variant with a gamepad in place of the CX-40 but that's awfully small ?

(context: Grizzards lets you use button II / C to access stats, which otherwise is on Game Select switch)

i think the concepts souldn't be confused. The couch compliance is independent of the controller. The logo isn't saying "must use joystick" - it's saying "can use couch".  I'd prefer to see just the one recognisable logo, myself. It's like diluting a trademark, otherwise. But still, do what you want - it's just a hobby.

• Like 4

On 4/14/2022 at 12:36 AM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

The logo just keeps getting better and better!

Here's a drop shadow version I made from the above logo that's appropriate for overlaying on any video/picture. I've already got it ready for the stream if I need to use it! ?

This term comes in handy for 8-bit games as well, to indicate that keyboard usage is optional/not required. 

Same essential meaning - you can play with a game controller only.

On 4/14/2022 at 12:01 AM, Andrew Davie said:

I implemented an identical control system for "rage reset" in my own current project.  Hold down the button for more than N seconds, and the player starts to flash a skeleton animation.  Continue to hold for another 3 or so seconds, and you have your reset back to the menu screen.  And I also have this on combined SELECT+RESET on the console switches (but it's instant).

This is great but now somebody needs to create a Rage Reset logo.

• Haha 2

• 1 year later...